D-Rings, QR Plates, Connectors?

obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
edited May 2013 in Gear Reviews
I'm heading to South Africa for a month and I'm still working out some bugs/kinks with my gear. I'm hoping some folks can offer advice, post pics of their setups etc. as they pertain to my kinks/bugs.

I really want to find a solution that allows me to go from using a strap to using the tripod, and back, without constantly screwing/unscrewing connectors to my camera. I think what I am looking for is a small profile QR plate with a flat D-ring in the bottom so I can connect my strap, or remove my strap, and quickly pop my camera onto the tripod. Besides, the D-ring (if you can call it that) that came with the Black Rapid strap is horrifically obtrusive. Any recommendations for a "flat" D-Ring that will handle the Black Rapid connector/clip?

Do you all have QR plates on all of your gear? I've got a Gitzo 1781QR Ball head that came with the Gitzo square QR plate (from which I removed the "anti-rotation pin" because it did the opposite and kept me from tightening the plate to the bottom of the D4 enough to prevent rotation. ) So, I *am* tempted to just pick up another that I can permanently attach to the tripod foot for the 70-200/2.8

Any "system" suggestions? We have no photo stores locally to Denver that carry enough gear to actually check them out, see how they work, etc. and so I'm stuck reading reviews, watching videos, and essentially wasting hours of my life just to solve a problem that would take me 30 minutes to conquer if I had access to hold, touch, feel the gear in a store.
D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2013
    if you use a
    Manfrotto RC2 Plate
    you can use a

Black Rapid FastenR-T1 for Use with Manfrotto RC2 Plates
    I have one and it works fine

The other option, is a spider holster base, which will allow both the Gitzo square QR plate and the blackrapid FastenR
    On my Mountain bike I often use a Blackrapid AND a spider holster
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    Thanks seven! Now I'm looking at replacing the Gitzo QR with the Manfrotto RC2, though I feel like I should just find an Arca Swiss compatible setup. Seems like switching Arca Swiss style for everything and buying a few QR plates would be the best way to go. The Gitzo QR "looks" like it will accomodate the AS plates but I think it may be too big and require an adapter.

Surely I can find a quality Arca Swiss QR base that will allow something like the FastenR to fit in the QR plate...
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited May 2013
    And if not, you can still go for an Arca QR-plate with 1/4" thread and screw the Black Rapid tripod screw in.

Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Or, at the end of my black Rapid is an ARCA Swiss clamp....to attach to the "L" plate on the body. This is a bit clumsy, so I use a continuous strap through the "L" plate which easily moves out of the way to attach to tripod.
    Msmoto, mod
    Sounds like Arca Swiss clamps/QR are the overwhelming favorite. I'm thinking that I could throw just about any QR plate onto the drill press, drill the hole and run a 1/4" tap into it, then use the FastenR d-ring. Or I could just scrap the Black Rapid strap which isn't my favorite any way...

Regardless, I have 7 days before I leave and I'd rather not buy any gear in South Africa unless I have to.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Actually, I was just trying to put myself in your situation and not recommending Arca-Swiss, sevencrossing's idea is also quite good. I use Manfrotto 394 on all heads and I carry my camera without straps, either in my hand or in my bag. The bag has already a strap, a second one (like a Black Rapid) will always cross the bag's and I don't like that.

If I'd go for a Black Rapid strap, the RC394 does provide tripod threads.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Nice thread. I'm looking at similar issues (Manfrotto v. Arca-Swiss; not going to South Africa for a Month!! :D )
    I think this is the Black Rapid doohickey for the Manfrotto clamp -
    http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-t1

I'm wondering about the durability of that fitting, the part where the strapp swings through. Is that going to snap off from the part screwed in to the camera?

I'm interested because I was thinking of getting a Berlebach Mini tripod (without leveling) with an Induro BDH2 ball head to use for low level macro work. Easier to set up than my larger tripod. Also looking to get a better strap than the Nikon neck scratching one. So I'm still in a quandary.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2013

I'm wondering about the durability of that fitting, the part where the strapp swings through. Is that going to snap off from the part screwed in to the camera?
    I hope not. Had mine for about a year. it is very well made

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • DXV_PhotoDXV_Photo Posts: 160Member
    edited May 2013
    I use a kirk 1" quick release clamp http://www.adorama.com/KIRQRC1.html and loctite the fastener to it. Here is what it looks like.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
    Post edited by DXV_Photo on
  • hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
    edited May 2013
    I used essentially the same sling/Kirk clamp set up last summer as a volunteer researcher inventorying animals in a game reserve in South Africa. My ranger/guard and I were in the field on foot 4-6 hours per day and I had my D800 and 80-400 on my sling the entire time, with my Gitzo Traveler on my pack. Transferring the camera on and off the tripod was painless and quick, which was important because we did not stop often or for long. The sling made carrying the weight of the camera/lens easy. The only problem I had was when we had to scramble up trees to escape black rhinos or through deep gullies to avoid hunting leopards.

imageClose enough!" />

I also used a Lencoat camo rain cover for protection and to camo the camera.

BTW, you'll love Africa.
    Post edited by hawkdl2 on
    I use a kirk 1" quick release clamp http://www.adorama.com/KIRQRC1.html and loctite the fastener to it. Here is what it looks like.

I used essentially the same set up for three weeks as a volunteer researcher inventorying animals in a game reserve in South Africa last summer i was on foot for 4-6 hours a day with my D800 and 80-400 on my sling and my tripod on my pack. Moving the camera on and off the tripod was painless and quick, which was important because we did not stop often or for long. Also, the sling made carrying the weight of the camera for hours daily no problem, through climbing trees to escape black rhinos and scrambling down and back out of deep gullies to avoid leopards sometimes a challenge.

BTW you'll love Africa.

I used essentially the same set up, only a CarrySpeed strap, last summer for three weeks as a volunteer researcher inventorying animals in a game reserve in South Africa. My ranger/guard and I were on foot in the field for 5-6 hours per day for about 16 days and my D800 and 80-400 swung by my side the whole time, with my Gitzo Traveler on my pack. The sling made carrying the camera for hours each day no problem and transferring the camera on and off the tripod was painless and quick with the Kirk clamp, which was good because we didn't stop often or for long. The only problem with this set up was when we had to climb trees to avoid black rhinos or scramble quickly through deep gullies to avoid leopards who hunt in the gullies. Then having a camera on a sling was a bit awkward.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacouturephotography/8035921948/

BTW, you'll love Africa.

@hawkdl2 - While we are going to visit with family and friends for most of the time, we will be spending 7 days at the Zulu Nyala Game Reserve which is not far from where you were at Hluhluwe-iMfolozo. We will likely take a couple day trips to the other game parks to (hopefully) see a larger variety of animals.

@DXV_Photo - This is precisely what I was thinking. Looks like I will be ordering a few Arca style QR plates and bases today. Of course, the most unfortunate issue of all is that I don't have more reach, I will be running a 70-200/2.8 with a TC-17 on the D4 and 340mm is not all that great in terms of reach when on safari. Such is life, I suppose.

Thanks everyone for all of your input thus far!
  • DXV_PhotoDXV_Photo Posts: 160Member
    Have a great trip obajoba and looking forward to seeing what pics you bring back.
  • mk2popmk2pop Posts: 80Member
    i use the same as @sevencrossing and its easy to just unclip the strap and stick the camera on tripod
    D300 | D90 | D40 | F65 x2 | F75 | 10-24mm | 18-200mm | 35mm f1.8 | 50mm 1.4d | 40mm Micro | 70-300mm Tamron | 100-300mm f4 Sigma |1.4x Sigma tc | Sb400 | Sb900 x2

Awaiting a DX D400
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    Hawkdl,

Glad to hear you made it back. I have taken my share of hikes off road in South Africa, mostly with an armed guard.

Obajoba, regardless of the rig you use, you will have a great time. I will be in RSA for 10 days in early June, mostly for work, but will have a couple of days in Kruger, which I have visited many times.

Have fun!