Genuine Nikon Filters

paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
edited May 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Are genuine Nikon Filters worth the extra cost when compared to third party filters. Opinions please.
Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits

Comments

• JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
    Good filters are expensive but there is a huge difference in quality compared to the cheaper ones.
    I use multi coated B+W filters and couldn't be happier.
    As far as I've read the Nikon filters are also very good.
    I went with B+W because I knew them from my film days.
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    I don't know about any of them except the NC (Clear) 77mm filters. I got one at Ritz for $40 when they went out of biz in my home town. Also, have scored 2 others from used lens sales -- a NICE throw-in. They have no color, thus no UV, but also the optical glass & build are excellent! I heard the Circ Polarizers are a little overprice (but still very, very good)....I guess their forte' & expertise is not in that particular filter. Stick to Hoya, B + W, and other German/Japanese companies.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Thanks Ironheart not seen the other discussion, There was a time when Nikon used the same glass in both lenses and filters, however I don't think that applies now. Personally I buy second hand genuine Nikon filters and B & W Filters from Ebay for usually less that half the cost. Not had a problem yet.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @paulr

"buy second hand genuine Nikon filters and B & W Filters from Ebay for usually less that half the cost"

Great idea
    Msmoto, mod
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I bought a complete 16 piece set of New Nikon 52mm filters, in the store display case, for under $100 on ebay about a year ago. There are deals but you need to look hard.

Most of my 77mm Filters are B+W and cost way too much.

framer