Does Anyone Know when Nikon will start shipping the D800 with the focus and LCD problems solved?

FlyhighFlyhigh Posts: 2Member
edited January 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I am a D3 owner.  Love the camera, but ready to move on to a D800.  However, I am very hesitant until I know I'm not buying into a lot of issues.

Does anyone know if Nikon has addressed these problems in their manufacturing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
     Flyhigh I got mine in August or September. Tried almost everything and I can't find any problems with it, but me. Ser. # 3033xxx but then I'm not as smart as most here.

Just thinking we buy a $30,000 to $60,000 + car or truck (can you buy a car or truck for less than 30 grand anymore) and it is very rare that we don't have to take it back for something and we really don't complain that much about it. Just take it in and you hope they fix it. But our cameras and gear we have a fit, myself included.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Been fixed since a few months after it's release.  
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2013
    Hard to say. I know people in Europe who recently bought the D800 and still had to try a few copies before finding one without the left side focus point issue.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • shivaswrathshivaswrath Posts: 7Member
    I would still wait..I'm on the fence as well, I want to trade in the D700, but given the QC issues, willing to wait since I make money with the D700...
    w: www.neilphotos.com
    p: www.suneil.net

I shoot, therefore I am.
    Hard to say. I know people in Europe who recently bought the D800 and still had to try a few copies before finding one without the left side focus point issue.
    The only one's I have heard that have issues are the "refurbs" or people buying used ones.  My guess they were multi-purchases returns or demo units being turned back in where no one had a chance to check or did and didn't say why they returned it.

Mine has no issues and according to my local shop all of it was fixed.  My serial is 3019xxx.  My guess as long as you get one past that, you are fine.  

Here is the D800 thread:
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The people in question had recent serial numbers, so unless Nikon is putting new serial numbers on old bodies that is unlikely.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2013
    I would still wait

+1

The D900 will be out before too long

when all the imagined problems and issues of the D800 be addressed 

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • EricBowlesEricBowles Posts: 27Member
    Just rent one to give it a try. The D800/E is so much more than the D3 you'll wonder why you waited. With a rental, you might end up with a camera that has the issues you are concerned about - and you can see what if any difference it makes. You can also learn to understand how to quickly test a camera for the issues that concern you.

I've had a D800E since early May - one of the ones that is "not fixed" - and it has the AF "issue. I am aware of the issue and am careful about using the extreme AF sensors. I don't use them when I need precision. Understanding better how AF works and it's issues, if I need precision I would not use the extreme sensors on any camera. The center sensor is so much sharper than any earlier camera, and the detail it resolves is so much better, the results are simply stunning.

The "LCD issue" is not something I have ever noticed. The LCD is an in camera JPEG that reflects the WB and other settings you have set in the camera, so unless you do a very good custom WB the issue is really moot. Furthermore, the LCD is not callibrated and cannot be adjusted. So my question would be whether it really matters even if there is an issue.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    Both mine and my Dad's D800E were problem free.

Denver Shooter
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    I got mine in July of last year and it has been fine just fine.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

I think I am going to be able to return my D600 for a refund, finally. It has been to Nikon service 3 times for dust/oil spots to no avail. I am happy to be rid of it and still frustrated with Nikon service.

Now I am stuck with a couple thousand dollars worth of FX lenses, so I may stick with Nikon. If I do, it only really makes sense to stay FX, so that points to the D800/D800E. I hear so much conflicting information, has the left focus issues been solved? I really don't want to trade one problem for another. Thom Hogan suggests that they have http://www.bythom.com/nikond800review.htm but some on dpreview have reported the issue in the last couple months. Is there a quick/straightforward way to test for this issue?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I have a D800 ; with out question the best camera I have ever owned
    left focus problems? - not that i have noticed
    Dust ? yes, as with any DSLR if you change lenses, dust happens
    green LCD tint yes once, but only once
    has it paid its way? definitely
    would I buy another? yes, with out a doubt
    would I go back to a D700? never

• SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited February 2013
    Roombarobot asks: Is there a quick/straightforward way to test for this issue?

At today's pricing, the D800 is an excellent value. The tests for these issues are not difficult: try it in a store before you buy. You can inspect the LCD color and the proper functioning of all the focus points prior to buying.
    I'm with sevencrossing. I have one of the earlier D800s. I had no left focus problems, but I did have the focus adjusted under warranty. The camera worked fine, but I wanted this adjustment so I wouldn't have to use focus fine tuning. I never saw green on my LCD.
    This camera paid for itself and a couple of lenses on the first few jobs. I amaze myself with the quality of the work I can do with this camera. Resolution is one thing, but the dynamic range is also very useful in my work.
    Even if I were just using it for recreation, I would be happy with the purchase. In fact, I am beginning to use the camera for hobby and family shooting more and more as I finished my two big projects from last year.
    I bought another D800 body for one of my clients who had been using a D700 for forensic and crime scene photography, and now his D700 is sitting on the shelf. My colleague just retired his 5D MkII in favor of a D800E after I bought my D800, even though he does not have Nikon AF lenses for it other than a 24-120 f/4. He is now one camera, one lens all the time.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy

Yes, several people have said it is easy to test for the left focus issue, but have not said how to do this. Can someone help me understand how to test this? Thank you!

Yes, several people have said it is easy to test for the left focus issue, but have not said how to do this. Can someone help me understand how to test this? Thank you!

Try this: Install a wide angle lens such as the 24 mm f/1.4 onto the body. Set the focus mode to AF-S and use the multi selector to move the selected focus point all the way to the extreme left. Select aperture priority and open the aperture to the widest setting. Frame an object with a feature at the location of the focus point. Half press the shutter release. You shoul hear a beep confirming focus. Move the focus point all the way to the right and repeat. Try other points to confirm that you get focus everywhere.

Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    Wow, I thought the D800 AF issue was that it just severely backfocused. Are you saying that, if the camera has a problem, it won't even confirm focus with a beep on the left side?

Wow, I thought the D800 AF issue was that it just severely backfocused. Are you saying that, if the camera has a problem, it won't even confirm focus with a beep on the left side?

Left focus and back focus are two different issues. You aren't likely see either of them on any cameras you buy new today. If you do, Nikon fixes it, just like any other problem. If you want more detail, PM me, as I have done these tests in the past, but the whole discussion is purely academic now with any cameras that haven't been sitting on the shelf for 6 months or more. I was testing for my clients and I only found one body, 9 months ago, with the famous left focus problem.
    Jack Roberts

NO - it was not that it didn't focus on the point, but it was front or back focused.

Take a 50mm, either line up identical items on a table (One center, one left, one right) about 2 feet apart, make sure you are level and perpendicular to the items. Set the focus at F2. Focus on the left item. If you have the focus issue, the left will be in focus and the right will be out of focus. Make sure you are not shooting at any angle and take care to set stuff up and to focus. Camera on tripod - mirror lock-up, delayed shutter, self timer 10 seconds to take all vibrations out, ISO at 100.
  • I just bought one a few weeks ago on the rebate deal. Mine does not have the left focus or the green LCD issue.

If they haven't gotten it fixed across the board yet, then it's still sporadic. I'd say buy one and if it has issues return it and get another copy.
    edited February 2013
    I found a detailed explanation on how to test for the left focus issue:
    http://photographylife.com/how-to-quickly-test-your-dslr-for-autofocus-issues

I have a new D800E headed my way and will run this test on it soon. I hope that I don't see any problems, I am sick of dealing with Nikon camera issues and just want to get back to taking photos!
    Post edited by roombarobot on
    edited February 2013
    I am doing the D800E autofocus testing now and I am confused by my results. I am following this method:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkP1bGRQMdM
    Which is to take a shot using LiveVew focused on the center, then two more using regular AF on the center. Then take a shot using LiveView focused on the right target using the right most AF point, then two more using the regular far-right AF point. Then take a shot using LiveView on the left target using the left AF point, then two more using the regular far-left AF point.

My results confuse me.
    1) when using LiveView AF, all targets are sharp, left, right, and center, regardless of which I focus on
    2) when using the center normal AF point, all targets are sharp
    3) when using either left or right normal AF point, targets are much less sharp than 1 or 2.

What does this mean? I am unsure of what conclusion to draw. Given this evidence above, it seems to say that the LiveView (contrast detect) AF is good across left/right/center points. It also suggests that the center regular AF point (phase detect) is good. But it seems to show that the far left and far right regular AF points (phase detect) are equally off.

Is this expected? It doesn't seem to from the video. I am using a 50mm 1.8G. Given that the center point is on and all LiveViews are on, I don't suspect a overall focus misalignment. Any ideas to help me think through this?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Curvature of the focal plane?
    Always learning.
    edited February 2013
    I don't think it is that, spraynpray, but thank you for the help in thinking about this. If it was curvature of the focal plane, why would LiveView focusing produce sharp images across all 3 targets, regardless of which I focus on.

At least I know they are symmetric, so I don't have the standard D800 AF bug. Is this a defect? Should I be thinking of exchanging this while I can?

(Others, please don't tell me I should just be out shooting instead of testing, I have to figure out if this camera is good or not before the 30-day return window expires. I got very burned by that on my D600 and won't make the same mistake.)

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have given it more thought and watched the YouTube clip. If I were you, I would call Nikon and discuss it with them to see if they agree with your testing regime then I would return it and get another.
    Always learning.
    edited February 2013
    Thanks spraynpray, I really appreciate you helping me think through this!! Thanks also for pushing me to contact Nikon. I just did that. I really dreaded that, given the many, many email/phone exchanges with them over my faulty D600. But you're right, thanks for the push. I called and they asked for some sample images, which I sent to them. We'll see.

In the meantime, any other advice is appreciated. I just want to get a camera that works well and I trust!

In case anyone cares, here are the photos I shared with Nikon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/99475088@N00/sets/72157632788272299/

D800E_Center-LiveView = Shot of center target, focused using LiveView
    D800E_Center-StandardAF-1 = Shot 1 of center target, focused using center standard AF
    D800E_Center-StandardAF-2 = Shot 2 of center target, focused using center standard AF
    D800E_Right-LiveView = Shot of Right target, focused using LiveView
    D800E_Right-StandardAF-1 = Shot 1 of right target, focused using far-right standard AF
    D800E_Right-StandardAF-2 = Shot 2 of right target, focused using far-right standard AF
    D800E_Left-LiveView = Shot of Left target, focused using LiveView
    D800E_Left-StandardAF-1 = Shot 1 of left target, focused using far-left standard AF
    D800E_Left-StandardAF-2 = Shot 2 of left target, focused using far-left standard AF

All of these were taken with a Nikon 50mm 1.8G on my new D800E.

I don't know if you can tell in the Flickr set, but at full resolution one can easily see that the shots taken with the standard AF using the far-right or far-left AF points are much less sharp than the pictures taken with the center AF point or LiveView from any point. This is not what I expect, they are much more blurry. I would expect all shots to be equally sharp. What is wrong here?