Nikon D7100 & Milky Way (Time Lapse)

Harles99Harles99 Posts: 6Member
edited May 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Havent seen a lot from the Nikon D7100 in terms of Astrophotography. The 24mp sensor makes for some nice night time images. There was noise in the original image (not too bad but still visible), but it cleans up nicely in post. Happy with the results and the Nikon D7100. Will be glad to use it along side the Nikon D4.

I did notice a small bit of flickering in the time lapse. All the settings where set on manual (M) mode. I did recheck my settings and I had the Noise reduction set to "Normal" instead of "off" and that might have introduced some of the flicker (I keep it "off" on my D4 and get no flicker). It goes away at about the half way mark of the time lapse. Not a huge issue just have to remember for next time.

Had the camera set a few feet off of our Bass pond to get the reflection of the stars of the water. The green tint seen floating in the sky is Airglow and can be seen only in dark/clear skies. If you look closely you can see a few meteors and satellites streaking across the sky.

Time Lapse workflow: Nikon D7100 -> Adobe Camera Raw -> After Effects -> Premier Pro -> Youtube. (WATCH IN HD)

Settings for this shot:
Nikon D7100 & Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 @ 11mm
30" second exposure, ISO 3200, WB 4000K

Milky Way Reflections (Time Lapse Still)

Thanks for looking! :)>-

Comments