D800 formats

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited May 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I'm midst setting up my D800, and reading Thom Hogans "Guide to the Nikon D800" I am left wondering which format to set it up for?

Currently I have selected "RAW Primary/JPEG Secondary", and "NEF (RAW) + JPEG fine". Image size set to "Large". JPEG compression set to "Optimal quality", and NEF (RAW) recording set to "Lossless compressed", 14-bit bit depth.

I use Aperture and Photoshop CS6 (OSX version). All my JPEG post-editing is done in Aperture, and the more serious work in Photoshop.

Any comments/suggestions regarding my settings?

Comments

• JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
    Why did you chose RAW + jpg?
    It's a good choice as it provides a backup. I was just curious as to your motivation.
    For my own work (non-commercial) I shoot NEF (RAW) in 14bit and with lossless compression.
    14 bit gives me the maximum quality and lossless compression gives me more shots per card without any loss of quality.
    So, that's definately a right choice.

Jpg fine as an addition (as in Nef + jpg; your choice) is also a good choice.
    The jpgs that come out of the camera are already very good. They can be used as backup in case the primary card fails.
    They also give a good starting point to start your raw editing.
    You see how the camera would have edited the raw file and can base your edits on that.
    The only downside of nef+jpg is that it takes up more storage space.

The only reason that I see to shoot jpg only is if you need a bigger buffer (sports photography comes to mind) or if you need to put as many photos as possible on your cards (end of a long trip and running out of cards)
    Then you use jpg fine.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @Killerbob: I shoot 98% in 14 bit RAW on my primary memory card and if it ever fills up it will start to write to the 2nd memory card. In addition, I have the body set to record video to the second card only.

I would recommend to take images in the highest setting and do all the "down-sizing" in post.

Like John hinted at, for your D800 to allow for a bigger buffer, I would switch your setting to JPG when shooting sports, air shows or any fast moving subject that you want to track.

Lastly, the best way to prevent running out of storage: buy more memory cards. :P
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Perhaps it is not a good reason, but my logic started long ago, when I got my D7000. I wanted an untouched image, i.e. the RAW lossless compressed image. I also wanted a backup, and an image which I could easily use on the internet without having to go through any advanced photoediting software. With an original JPG I can crop and perhaps play a bit with contrast, exposure, and white balance, all on my iPad. I can't do that with a RAW image on my iPad.

And, I am NOT worried about space. I have the latest 128GB SanDisk cards, plenty of them, and an 18TB NAS at home...
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @killerbob, most of the iPad apps handle raw files just fine, filterstorm, snapspeed, and camera+ come to mind.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited May 2013
    @Killerbob: Glad to hear storage is not the issue and that this is not your first DSLR. :)

I would like to think one of the main reasons you purchased the D800 is it's amazing ability to capture details of a given setting. If, so, then I would use the highest setting your body offers.

Keep in mind, you ask for what our thoughts are and all we are doing it complying with that request. It is up to you to consider or reject the recommendation. No harm no foul.

Happy shooting....
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    @Golf007sd: I wasn't having a go at the suggestions, merely saying space is not an issue :)

Just to confirm, the settings I am using, they are the highest settings the D800 offers? I ask because the 10-page format discussion in Thom Hogans guide are rather non-decisive. He mentions TIFF as well, and various combinations of RAW and JPG.

@Ironheart: The apps I am using on my iPad do not handle RAW files, but I'll take a look at the ones you mention - thanks!
  • JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
    @Killerbob: Yes, the setting that you chose will give you the highest image quality.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    What apps are you using today?
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited May 2013
    To be clear, the iPad apps mentioned above do not actually process RAW files. iOS simply extracts the embedded-JPEGs from inside the RAW files. These embedded JPEGs are full-size but of minimal quality (JPEG BASIC) -- which may or may not be good enough for your particular use. I don't know if all the camera settings (such as D-Lighting) are applied to these JPEGs.

If you do a lot of editing on the iPad then you may still want to shoot RAW+JPEG, with only the JPEGs going to the SD card so you can easily import them into the iPad.

One reason is just sheer storage space. The largest iPad today is only 64GB. It's a big waste to import huge RAW files into the iPad since the RAW data won't actually be used anyway. If you have just RAW, or RAW+JPEG in one card, iOS wont let you import just the (embedded) JPEGs so you end up wasting space because the RAW files always gets imported.
    Post edited by Ade on
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member

Currently I have selected "RAW Primary/JPEG Secondary", and "NEF (RAW) + JPEG fine". Image size set to "Large". JPEG compression set to "Optimal quality", and NEF (RAW) recording set to "Lossless compressed", 14-bit bit depth.
    If this is what you have set, it's best. My primary is the Compact Flash (RAW), and secondary is the Secure Digital (JPEG). I do that primarily as backup measures as I tend to only transfer the NEF files to my computer and convert after editing. IOW, the JPEGs usually get deleted without being used.

D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

On the iPad I use "100Cameras", "Bokeful", "CameraProFx" and a few other smaller ones. And my interface to my iPad is the SD card reader, so designating the SD card to JPEGs was just obvious to me.
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    I shoot on the 800, NEF (RAW) on CF card + JPEG Normal on SD card" Image size set to "Large". JPEG compression set to "Optimal quality", and NEF (RAW) recording set to "Lossless compressed", 14-bit bit depth. I take my time to select the RAW files to keep and those to further process and delete the rest. If i need to share the pictures immediately; i use the Jpegs for that!
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    @Ade there's now an iPad with 128 GB. The price is either insane or totally Apple like, depends how one see the creators.

Sometimes I used my iPad for backup of the RAW files, but that was D7000 sizes. D800 fills it up in no time.

@Killerbob I only use JPG for test shots, otherwise RAW only. Found it not worth the effort to save two formats because both have disadvantages: RAW makes it only short series (but I don't need long ones, so that's ok). And JPG is not using the whole bandwidth of quality the D800 is offering. Most of the time a 16 GB card is enough, if not, I've some spare cards. I'm no fan of monster size cards. One failure of the card or maybe it slips out of my fingers into a place I've no access to and all files gone. Better not. In that aspect I'm either coward or paranoic.
    @JJ_SO; I am sometimes worried also that I loose a 64GB SD card, or a 128GB CF card, but at the same time I don't think the price difference is big enough to not but the biggest cards. For the big CF card (Sandisk Extreme Pro CF 128GB) it is also the fastest one available.

Also, I offload at anytime I can, so never a huge loss if I should loose one, and another reason to have RAW on one and JPG on the other...
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    I shoot only compressed raw 14b. The CF card is primary and the SD is a real time backup of the raw files.

If I want results without processing effort, I start a batch after I upload (usually Capture NX2) which will produce jpg's of the raw files using the in-camera parameters, identical to what would have been produced in camera but with a faster computer and more time, and better algorithms.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I used to shoot raw+jpeg. Now its all RAW all the time. I have a few 32 GB cards (we use them for lots of purposes around here), so I don't worry about filling them up. I've only ever used the jpegs once where the customer wanted the photos "as shot" before I left the building. SD is my primary storage with CF for backup.

My NEFs all get pulled off the SD card, converted to DNGs by Lightroom and stored onto an external hard drive with backup on my network server. Then I reformat the two cards. Once (Just the other day in fact) I found that my photos were not recorded to my SD card properly. Hurray for the CF backup!
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy