How to put down the D800?

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited May 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I know it sounds simple, but I am actually in doubt (so don't laugh)...

I have a D800 with the MB-D12 battery grip, and of course I could just lay it down on a surface on the battery base, and it would naturally tip over and rest on the attached lens. However, when I then add an RRS L-plate, a BlackRapid M-plate, or any other release plate, then I start wonder... How is the best way to lie down my camera? How do you guys do it?

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited May 2013
    When I take my camera off and I'm in the process of placing it on a flat surface, I almost always put it down so that the lens is facing the sky; so that when I need to get it or pick it up I can just grab the lens and be ready to go. Hence, I place the camera down on its backside (lcd screen down).
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Mine sits about anyway it falls...on the floor of my car where it resides under junk. I like to have it sitting on a soft surface and in a position it has no place to fall.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I leave my camera in my camera bag, lens down. No problem.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Once I get mine I don't plan on putting it down.
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    I always put mine down resting on their left hand (HDMI/USB flaps) side. The distance between the lens mount and camera edge is at its shortest here, and I have found offers the most stability.
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Got to admit putting down any camera with the battery pack and especially with the RRS bracket is unstable. I have also gone to lens up, laying on it's back.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I have the rubber eyecup installed so putting it "lens up" is not such a good feeling. I think I'll go with putting it down on the side, on the HDMI/USB connection protection. With the battery grip, an RRS L-plate, and the BR mount, it is funky.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Use the same way as SkinBrit, sideways on the rubber caps of the connectors. Lens up? I don't always put immediately the lens cap on and for lens up it's too fragile. With some of the lightweight plastic lenses and the battery grip, the Manfrotto plate 394 gives a pretty stable stand, but for the fat f/1.4 I count on their hoods.
  • EiTaroEiTaro Posts: 35Member
    I recently got the RRS plate (not L) for the camera with the battery grip and I was wondering the same. I've tried all the possible positions and conclude that the optimum way is to rest the camera on the plate and the lens on an angle. Most of the time my attached lens is 70-200 with the tripod collar but I do the same with my other lenses. I don't like it but I consider it as the trade off for the permanently attached plate.
    D800 | 16-35mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 150-600 Sport | SB910 | RRS
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I think with the battery grip, the L-plate, and possibly a mount, the angle becomes to steep, and that can't be good for the mount. As SkintBrit says, laying it on the side makes for a more pallatable angel on the lens.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    @Killerbob , just try to calculate what the mount has to hold with the whole weight of 70-200 ;) There's no reason to worry about.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    For those who are really concerned about how to set down their camera, buy some closed cell foam like what is called "kayak foam" used for floatation and sold at good stores where kayaks are sold. Supplied in a four inch thick piece it is a perfect material to cut out a camera shaped hole so as to support the camera and lens attached. Or, use the thinner (about 1 inch thick) material and glue up with contact cement (the yellow stuff) to make a camera support.
    Msmoto, mod
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    The only thing I'd suggest is if you have the camera in the car with you, whether it's in a carrying or not, make sure you have the lens pointing towards the seat. If you ever have to slam on the brakes, this will keep the lens from going head first into the floorboard and the camera body will take the hit instead. Sadly, I learned this the hard way.
  • tektradertektrader Posts: 58Member
    sideways with the plastic connector cover down. Seems most stable like that.