The Oklahoma Tornado

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
edited May 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
What a terrible disaster - my best hopes and wishes go out to all those who have been affected in any way. I hope none of the forum members are in its way.
Always learning.

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I second that.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Bland is listed on the NRF User's map as Tulsa, Oklahoma...however, his pin is in Texas... I have seen and photographed the destruction of a tornado in Alabama a couple years ago and also in Gulf Port, Mississippi after Katrina. The devastation is incomprehensible.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    edited May 2013
    http://www.taosactionphotos.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=1747#page=thumbs
    You'll have to copy and paste

Thankfully the death count has gone down to 24 and they don't expect the number to increase very much.

The above link is some of my friend's shots. Some of the pictures you have probably seen on news sites. There's one picture towards the bottom that shows the asphalt ripped away from I-35.

I live in Tulsa and was not effected by this super cell. Even thought I live an hour and half north, we had debris from this tornado fall in Tulsa.
    Post edited by bland on
    Thanks Bland.
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Amazing that such a bad tornado has 'only' killed 24 people - it could have been 124 or 224 easily.

The news said debris fell 90 miles away - wow.

Glad you're OK Bland.
    Always learning.
    Well, they came back this evening and really left their mark, most likely the worse outbreak of tornadoes ever in Oklahoma. I'll be out tomorrow shooting the damage. The storm chasers luck finally ran out this evening, many of them went rolling over and over.

Lots of flooding and many injured, not sure on the deaths. There was a mother and her infant child sucked out of their vehicle this evening, fatally. I've heard 6 dead in Okla City but we won't know the actual number until tomorrow, state wide.

My home is 30 miles to the nearest tornado this evening and I had debris hitting off of my roof, incredible force.

My friend shot this one today. This is the first one to hit in Okla City.
    Richard's Shot Okla City

Here's an AP shot on the Weather Channel Chaser. They were hurt but are going to be ok.
    weather channel

Here's the Three Stooges this evening, they show how not to chase.
    Glad you are OK, Bland.
    Msmoto, mod
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,336Member
    Take care Bland. Sorry to hear of the death and destruction. These are some incredibly powerful forces, not to be taken lightly, as you know probably better than any of us.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    The last I heard on the Weather Channel, the death toll was up to nine.
    It's up to 11 dead as of this morning. I heard that many of the injured and dead were the storm chasers who had all stopped to shoot in the same area along I-40 and got trapped by the traffic.

Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for all of the storm chasers but I doubt it.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I wonder if those guys who had their cars tested on Mythbusters were there?
    Always learning.
    I wonder if those guys who had their cars tested on Mythbusters were there?
    If you're talking about Reed Timmer with his Dominator chase vehicles, they were there. On his Facebook you can see him and his team driving their vehicles into the tornado's. Reed is very good at what he does and don't mean to talk him down but he too knows that bad troubles await him as they test their different abilities getting into the belly of those tornado's.