Aperture 3

1235»

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The next Aperture is far more likely to require 10.9 (due out this summer) anyway.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    :D

Okay, so I can learn even more about C1
    Until C1 requires to you upgrade to a newer OS. :p
    edited June 2013
    So far, C1 is running perfectly well on 10.6.8., using all 4 processors for most of the tasks and even the graphics provessors - technologically, C1 is already advanced to my old AA version.

The interface is no masterpiece of usability design as the last aperture version on 10.6.8 always was. It's lacking face recognition which for me is a real disadvantage. But comparing the newest Aperture version for 10.8.x to C1 there's a less huge interface difference.

So, if C1 8 or 9 ever needs a new OS, I feel free to choose Apple (in case they didn't ruin themselves as the usually did, when no Steve was around) or Windows. Because at that moment it probably will be time for new hardware as well. My iMac is in it's 3rd year so kind of digital medieval age :)
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    Ah wow, @JJ_SO, you're getting into C1, good thing. I recently downloaded the test version, but it's expired meanwhile. Some of the features I really loved, like this new sharpening tool that's among the "clarity" group of faders, what was it called, "structure" or something? Amazing!

I'm using Aperture's editing functionality for the not-so-important or the batch editing, and exactly for this quick but not-so-dirty work, I'm missing a couple of things in Aperture, like perspective control, lens correction, gradient masks.

I didn't get to checking out the DAM features of C1, are they really so bad?

The biggest downside for me is that C1 only has very limited features for editing JPEGs. For stuff that I know will not require maximum quality (i.e. events), I don't want to fill my harddisk with hundreds of 40-MB files.

What are your experiences so far, JJ_SO?
    @FlowtographyBerlin, since that is the Aperture thread and some members are really keen on sticking to the subject, going never off-topic, just like in real life, I better send you PM - I guess, it's easier for me to write in German. ;)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @JJ_SO & FlowtographyBerlin

Or you could start a general discussion group on "Photoshop Features" or uses or something like that. Aber auf English, bitte. Some of us cannot speak or read German well.
    Msmoto, mod
    :)

I know my bounds, Msmoto: Both apps come with German user interface. Terribly sorry, but I will not switch my Mac to English to get the right terms of the interface - and otherwise, there's no point in discussing and comprehending it, if I tried to back-translate these expressions.

It would take me ages to put up a post - and with this forum software it's just uncertain, if I'm working for nothing because eaten posts keep happening. That is frustrating from time to time.

I'm working all day long with texts for user interfaces, it's pretty easy to mess up completely. I already sent FlowtographyBerlin a mail and realized, even in German it's difficult to describe Pro's and Con's. Easiest would be sitting together in front of the screen. I'm no expert in C1 and more or less forced to use it.
    The WWDC is next monday, let's see what that brings about... It's not that I want to switch, I'd already done that. One of the beauties of apps like LR and Aperture is that you have one system for everything, the asset management and the light editing functions.

For "real" editing, I use Photoshop anyway, but not for everyday photos or light-pay jobs.

Aperture is just missing some important features (lens correction, perspective correction), and if they implemented those, everything would be cool for me.

Losing all the edits and needing to destructively export images when converting to a different editor is just a pain that I would only want to put up with if it's become clear that Aperture is a dead horse.
    Another three days! :-)
    I doubt we'll see anything WWDC, it's a developers conference. You'll see Mac OS 10.9 officially announced, along with iOS 7. Beyond that, maybe the MacBook Air/MBP Retina display models updated. They may pre-announce a new Mac Pro for the fall, when Thunderbolt 2.0 is slated to hit the market. Aperture doesn't seem to fit in there.
    Didn't they ever announce anything consumer-ish at WWDC? So is it MacWorld Expo then? Another 8 months? Not seriously!
    I wonder how soon I'd find an Apple employee on the grounds of Cupertino who knew Aperture? And how long I needed to wait until that person founds somebody who could use it?

To me it appears they forget some of their own products.
    edited June 2013
    I doubt they forgot about Aperture. A point update was released (3.4.5) just this week. Just because you are running an archaic OS that doesn't show recent updates doesn't mean it is abandon.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited June 2013
    Didn't they ever announce anything consumer-ish at WWDC? So is it MacWorld Expo then? Another 8 months? Not seriously!
    There haven't been any consumer products (other than the iPhone) released at WWDC for 3-4 years now. Other than their own World Wide Developer Conference, Apple doesn't attend any conferences anymore. Jobs ended that trend two years before his death. Update cycles of hardware now coincide more with the release of new Intel chipsets/CPUs. Software, other than Mac OSX and iOS I cannot think of the last time they made a major announcement. Aperture 3? And that was three years ago, in February.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    I doubt they forgot about Aperture. A point update was released (3.4.5) just this week. Just because you are running an archaic OS that doesn't show recent updates doesn't mean it is abandon.
    yeah, never thought, once somebody would call my OS archaic and was right :D there's still a Mini in these old castle's caves with 10.4.11
    8->

Medieval.

On the other hand I would abandon my archaic OS if it was worth all the effort updating various apps just because of an Aperture version with the newest hot air iCloud features. If Apple offers lens profiles and perspective controls and a real good tethered shooting via WLAN, I would change a running system.
    yeah, never thought, once somebody would call my OS archaic and was right :D there's still a Mini in these old castle's caves with 10.4.11
    8->
    It's okay, we still have a upgraded Sawtooth G4 tower running 10.4.11. It only gets used for MS Office and email though.
    I don't expect miracles from WWDC. Introducing Aperture could also be interpreted as "sending the wrong signals": For iOs 7 there's lots to do, "maps" are still running after Google maps, for competing Android also. iRadio? Yawn. Webradio once was cool.

So they have a lot of people busy on iOS, even Apple doesn't have endless human ressoures of great programmers and great visionaires. Especially the last ones.
    So, no new Aperture. But OS X Mavericks looks interesting :) as does iOS7 and the finally new MacPro. There's still hope...
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    If it's any consolation, the tweak they made to v. 3.4.5 solves an issue that was driving me crazy.
    edited June 2013
    Consolation or not, I'm glad for you :)

Nonetheless, I gonna participate a CaptureOne workshop.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
    Why not start a CaptureOne thread, rather than hijacking the Aperture thread then?