Which head for D800 video?

VindisVindis Posts: 9Member
edited June 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I will start using the video function on D800.
I have tripod and head for my 500 mm (Gitzo) and would like to use my older Manfrotto 055 pro for video.
Which head would you recommend for video? I plan to use 24-70 f2.8 for video.
/Per

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    What head do you use for the 500mm? And, do you use Manfrotto plates? You might check B & H or Adorama and see what they have in heads with the clamp you are using. No doubt you can get one for less than $100...a match for your tripod.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @Vindis: Have a look at the RRS FH-55 Fluid Video Head.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    There are lots of variables. I would highly recommend the Manfrotto 502HD fluid head, which is only $200 from B&H.

The RSS FH-55 is not available and will cost at least $1500 when it comes out -- and you probably won't see any difference in the results for a typical production. The FH-55 will have a variable counterbalance (which changes with tilt-angle), whereas the 502HD has a static counterbalance.

Personally, most of the time I just use the smaller Manfrotto 701HDV ($150) which doesn't even have any counterbalancing at all.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited June 2013
    ...you probably won't see any difference in the results for a typical production...
    Don't assume anything about what Vindis needs, budget or usage is. Make your recommendations and let he or she find their path.

Here is a video that might assist regarding Manfrotto line of products.

Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Actually from Vindis's stated choice of video tripod (Manfrotto 055) and lens (24-70/2.8), I'm quite comfortable in recommending heads in the $200 range rather than, say, a $10,000 O'Connor head or even a $1,500 RRS.

For video support, you really need a balanced setup. It doesn't make much sense to buy an expensive head unless you also move into sturdier, higher-end tripods like a Miller, Sachtler or a Cartoni.
  • VindisVindis Posts: 9Member
    Today I have a Gitzo GT3541XLS with Manfrotto 393 head and a Manfrotto monopod with Manfrotto 393 head.

I found this one on Manfrotto:
    Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Fluid video head

It can only load 2,5 kg - may be it is not enough?
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited June 2013
    @Golf007sd sometimes I appreciate your effort searching videos, especially the ones one would not so easily step over. But everybody can use Google or make a search in the endless files servers of YouTube. I made the experience half (if not more) of the vids are lots of blabla, explaining simple things and forgetting interesting things. So, if one takes the trouble to type a question, it's a good way to type a reply. :)

Although I think sometimes, posting a video would not have made me angry when the forum software crashes another post of 10 minutes typing, link-searching and so on... (:|

Personal experience with Manfrotto 055 MAG PHOTO-MOVIE HEAD Q5: Save the money and get a nice 2 way head for the beginning. "Real" video heads with fluid friction and other stuff like electronic remote (which Manfrotto offers but only limited to Canon) are expensive stuff.

701HDV can load 4kg in the data sheet I found.

It's that one?

I don't have the best opinion of those plates of Manfrotto. There's the screw on the side to fix it - can be a pain with a DSLR, becuase with your heavy 24-70 the body would cover the screw which makes it fiddly to fix. Also, the plates have a long hole. With the screw, you can squeeze the plate in the middle.

I have an old, very simple Linhof 2 way head, no fluid but also turning very smooth. Made of Aluminium cast, except the knob no plastics - I would prefer that one against a lot of Manfrotto's plasticfantatstic "solutions for advanced photographers..."

Btw. the handle of the 701 looks pretty much the same like the 055 MAG PHOTO-MOVIE HEAD Q5 and it's difficult to fix that properly.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but able to transpose some of the panning techniques in shooting rapidly moving vehicles, I can suggest if at all possible for an individual to use a pan head and find one which fits an individuals preferences might be the best idea I have to offer. We all like certain subtle characteristics and features, and in an activity like photography, we need not be distracted by the small glitches which almost all equipment has.
    Msmoto, mod
  • LckyLcky Posts: 2Member
    The latest manfrottos are great for buying an extra head. If you only need a video head to learn what its all about a manfrotto "fluid" head will do justice for a short while. even the top of the Manfrotto line (hd9?) will still feel like plastic on plastic and give you stutters in your pan fluidity.

you might as well buy a tripod/head combo for the stability needed. There is a lot of balance going into fluid head use.

If you are interested in learning what makes a good video tipod/head setup cheaply. I'd suggest going with Libec.

the Lx7m is a very good tripod/head package for the price, $550?. although you are missing control of head tension, the fluidity is most sachtler like.

The Libec rs line includes proper head tension and can carry more weight.

after that, the Sachtler FSB 6 and FSB 8's are very nice. but more costly than the Libec RS's.

good luck.
    Well in the $550 price range, the Sachtler Ace "M" system is also a good choice.

Personally, I'd rather stay "light & cheap", or go broke for a "proper" system (which unfortunately means $1500 or more).

By the way... Sachtler, Manfrotto, Gitzo, Vinten, Bogen, etc., are all part of the same group of companies (Vinten Group).
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Is it "Vinten" in the US? In Europe the main group is vitec. And it has bought quite a bunch of good names:

That's what I get when I go to http://www.gitzo.com/

Actually you're right. Vinten was the original name (from the founding family). "Vinten Group plc" was renamed "Vitec Group plc" in 1995, according to their website.

In 2001 apparently they changed name again to become "The Vitec Group plc". The Vinten name is still used in their high-end product lines.
  • VindisVindis Posts: 9Member
    Thanks a lot for your interest to my question.

I have decided to buy MANFROTTO VIDEOHEAD MVH500AH FLATBASE

/Per
    Looks like a nice head!