Best GPS for D7000?

turnthedarncranksturnthedarncranks Posts: 116Member
edited July 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I'm thinking about adding a GPS module to my D7000 so as to avoid wondering where I've taken certain shots (an endless problem when I look back at old film photos). Any advice as to which one to buy? The Nikon option seems ridiculously expensive compared to the competition, but reviews of the modules seem to be few and far between so I'm having a hard time figuring out which third party options work well. (I've searched the archives, and although there are a number of threads that touch on GPS, none seem to do more than mention there are several options. ) Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks!

TTDC

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited July 2013
    The great thing with the Nikon GPS1 tagger is, that the Geodata is written into the file. I've only one experience with a JOBO GPS module, which was cheaper and als multiuse for non-Nikon-Cameras. Excellent in theory, horrible in practice.

With the JOBO device the place was written as keywords and not as GPS data. And only for JPGs, not for the RAWs. Another disadvantage: JOBO had his own battery. Which was always empty or soon empty :(

All in all, I've nearly no problems with the Nikon GPS1, except it is quite slow in receiving data and sometimes impossible (inhouse, in a tunnel, in a narrow valley). But those disadvantages are GPS specific. The additional cable for Dx00 and for Dxx00 is very handy, although the plug for D800 and D700 is designed lousy. It takes endless time to fix it into it's socket.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited July 2013
    http://www.solmeta.com/

Cheaper and better than the Nikon. I have both the GP-1A and the Geotagger N3

Best thing about it is that it remembers the last GPS coordinates and uses that if/when it looses signal so at least you have an approximate GPS tag rather than none which is what the GP-1A does as soon as it looses signal (indoors, under heavy foliage, etc...)
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    +1 on the Solmeta!

It does all the Nikon GPS1 does, is faster, has a few more features, and may even be cheaper as well. At least here in Europe it is...
    Don't know about the speed. The Nikon can be used for all contemporary bodies. The N3 you need to decide for which body you like it. Meaning, for D800 another one than for D7000? And the Pro2 is not cheaper than the Nikon, especially if one likes to benefit the wireless remote - as an extra, to be paid extra? And N1 doesn't write data into file? But has (only) inbuilt battery power? After the experiences with that JOBO stuff, I stay away for external powered devices with "another charger".

Just to be clear, I'm no fan of this cable based Nikon GPS receiver, but I appreciate to plug in the same wired remote control for all bodies. The Indoor lock of Almeta sounds great, though.

My ideal GPS receiver would be inbuilt in cam or battery grip.
    The Solmeta Pro2 was significantly cheaper here in Denmark/Greenland, it came with the remote, and I got it with cables fitting my D800 and my D7000. It writes to a file, has indoor lock, built-in power, and a great little display. Oh, and it's very fast...
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Just to be clear, I'm no fan of this cable based Nikon GPS receiver, but I appreciate to plug in the same wired remote control for all bodies. The Indoor lock of Almeta sounds great, though.
    Even with the Nikon GP-1 you will need to use different cables for use with the D800 vs. the D7000 (both types of cables are included with the GP-1).

I don't miss "indoor" lock / freeze mode (which can tag your photos with stale / misleading information). In Aperture at least, it's very easy to apply GPS location from one image to any other image(s), or using the "Places" feature to simply drag all the indoor pictures to the same location as the outdoor ones.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited July 2013
    I have the Nikon GP-1 and have been very happy with it. The unit does require you to have access to sky...which I'm sure is true with most. As for cost, at $200 from B&H it would appear to be more cost affective that the Solmeta Geotagger Pro 2....but to each his own.

Now it is important to note that the GP-1 does come with all the cable needed for all of Nikon bodies but one: the D600. Nikon has a entire different unit called GP-1A for it.

Happy shopping....
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited July 2013
    @Ade Yes, I know a bout and use those two output cables. But at the the GP1, there's only one socket for a Nikon cable remote input (while Solmeta N1 has a 2.5mm universal jack, for which I already had a trigger and a cable). And as for precision: After sometimes long waiting, GP-1 still puts my position to some impossible places. Getting a signal, doesn't necessarily mean the same as getting the right position. Sometimes I correct that in Aperture, too. Don't think, the Solmeta will be less precise than GP-1 in some cases already is.

@Killerbob that sounds great. I didn't know there was such a unit on the market. Thanks @Ironheart for bringing it to my/our attention. Especially because Pro2 has additional, but not exclusive inbuilt power. After emptying his own battery, it uses the camera's. Good concept. I read on Solmeta's website, the wireless control comes as an extra "(Supplied as a accessory of Pro 2 )" - good it was already in the package at your's. Reading the package list, I reconize I was mistaken. Together with the compass it would be also useful with a non NIkon-cam. And I could still order an additional cable :) I'm tempted to get it. Contrary to @Golf007sd, I'm not entirely happy with the Nikon. The cable connection for D800 is standing out to the side of the cam and always in the way. As is the cable for D7000/D5100 (and also D600, so GP-1 can also be used for D600. GP-1A is just significantly cheaper)
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
    @Killerbob where did you get the Pro2 from? So far I didn't find a shop and Amazon is listing it as "currently unavailable"?
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited July 2013
    @JJ_SO: The OP...a.k.a turnthedarncranks... is asking for a GPS unit and how it will function on a D7000 not any other Nikon bodies...hence my response.

As for the GP-1A being cheaper.....well the unit price at about $300 on Amazon as well as on Adorama & B&H. While the GP-1 is going for about $210 on Adorama and B&H. :)

Well at least those are the prices here in the USA...not sure what they are overseas.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited July 2013
    The prices here are steep as well, I found one for 235€, but no additional cable at this shop. I realized the D7000 specification, but it's a good thing if a GPS receiver has not only one option. Who knows what body comes next?

This shop lists 4 taggers and no GP-1. They say, the plug directing to the side can crash the GPS socket. And as some of us are already afraid of ripping the tripod thread out the camera, I thought it's a good thing that the shop concerns about taggers with cable direction upwards. Such as:
    Dawntech di-GPS M3L Mini Logger 125€
    foolography Unleashed 125€ (but only bluetooth connection to a dedicated logger, which adds 63 € to the basket)
    Solmeta N3 175€
    Solmeta Pro2 235 €

The Solmetas both have compass, the GP-1 don't. With compass you get GPS data pointing in the direction you were shooting at.

Note: although the shop is addressed .eu, I could not find a possibility to switch the language from German to English. They have really good information.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
    I got my GeoTagger Pro2 directly from Solmeta in Hong Kong @ USD289 . They shipped it cheaper than I would have had to pay for getting the Nikon one shipped from Denmark, it just took a week or so.

The Nikon in comparison would have cost me USD300, and the shipping would have been more expensive as well - and I got the Pro2 which I believe is a better GPS than the Nikon, or any other model.

BTW - It works beautifully on the D800 as well as the D7000, and is so accurate (even indoors) I can tell if I am in one end of the house or the other.
    Oh man, you're living a tiny bit remote in Greenland, aren't you? :) Cheapest here would be 330 $ getting it from HongKong or 235€ getting it a 100 km away

I just found a dealer for it and am tempted to go on a little trip to get it. Could be fun. Because I found out his website's shopping basket has some flaws for clients from Switzerland such as telling me a price with VAT but actually it's the one without 19% German VAT, he offered me a free cable. Found that a nice gesture. Would include a cycling trip through southern Black Forest, so why not? :-?
  • turnthedarncranksturnthedarncranks Posts: 116Member
    edited July 2013
    Thanks, all. Anyone have any experience with this: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/05/20/alternative-gps-module-solution-for-nikon-cameras-di-gps-eco-pro-s-and-pro-f.aspx/? Seems to be quite a bit cheaper than the others, although I can only find one source for it (a secondary seller on Amazon for about $135 shipped).
    Post edited by Msmoto on