Focus acquisition problem D4

chasgrohchasgroh Posts: 11Member
edited July 2013 in D3/D4/D5
I've had my D4 since April...went right to work with it and shot 16,000 images first weekend. Since then maybe 25.000 more; inside gym venues, outside football field venues and even a sailboat race while riding in one of the competitors. All settings have been consistent with minor iso variations. Last Sunday was shooting an outdoor activity, hooked to the 200-400 f4, and suddenly she wouldn't fire. Tried re-mounting the lens and that seemed to work, but only for a minute or two...same problem. Switched to my 70-200 VR and got the same problem...even with my 24-70. Condition is intermittent, re-boot camera, battery out/in, cards seated and reseated. Lucky I had my D800 to backup (man, it's SLOW...hahahaha...but good)...so, anyone ever experience this condition? No matter what, it's in to Nikon after the holiday, but maybe someone has some info/advice?
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @chasgroh: Very interesting. The only thing that comes to mind is that you could have accidentally flipped on the Focus Selector Lock to the L position thus not allowing the lens to re-focus. Have a look and see if that is the case while I try to think....

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • chasgrohchasgroh Posts: 11Member
    @Golf007sd...well, it was set on "L" and I feel kinda giddy...hehehe...BUT would that explain the intermittent condition? I'll take it out in the AM tomorrow and see if it still behaves as I reported. Thanks a bunch for your prompt reply!
    Ahhh....so it was on L. Yes amigo that is the issue...go ahead and change it and you are back in business. :D
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Heh...slightly red in the face, but the conditions of the moment didn't allow me time to fool around with it, although there's no guarantee I woulda figgered it out, anyhow. So it's been sittin' and I've been busy doing other things...but if this saves me a trip to LA on Friday, I OWE YOU! Now...to the manual!!! :-?
    Ok...so I just pulled out my D4 and gave it a go to see if my quick response would be the cause of your problem...and it is not. On Single-AF shooting in manual mode, set to high frame rate with my 24-70, I was still able to focus and re-focus while the body was in L. So I'm not truly sure if my guess is the cause of your problem. In the mean time...pull the battery out for a bit and then do a full reset and see if that help get the devil out of you body. :P
    ...on the agenda for tomorrow. Thanks for the help, buddy...!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited July 2013
    @chasgroh

I would check the contacts from body to lens...if moisture somehow entered during the sailboat race....

You can clean these relatively easily and I would clean mine with electrical contact cleaner used sparingly on a lint free cloth.

And welcome to NRF.... you can also look at the thread on "which button do you use the least on your nikon"
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1186/what-button-on-your-d-slr-do-you-use-the-least#Item_42
    where I noted I use them all, some on purpose and some not....LOL

Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited July 2013
    @chasgroh, I'd guess you switched the AF-Mode Ring (lower right frontside of the cam, seen against the lens) from AF to M accidentally and set the shutter to focus priority.

@Msmoto, on gold contacts I see no chance for a bit moisture to interrupt power circuit. Sea-water is not isolating enough. Grease or oil could do, but water? I doubt it.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    You could try a 2 button reset.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    ...well, folks, it took all of 2 minutes...one to check the manual and switch one ring dial that I'd inadvertently
    changed! The control in question is the vertical shooting button release lock which surrounds the shutter release button when the camera is in portrait mode...it disables that shutter release completely, which is exactly what was happening, and explains the intermittent nature of my "problem"...dang! So, in the midst of a shoot I didn't have the presence of mind to diagnose and fix, but it's all pretty good 'cuz I did have a great backup. Thanks for all the input, peeps, this forum is definitely *the* place for Q&A vis a vis pro gear, without a doubt!