Dangers From Being A Photog?

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The Boston Marathon bombing had some very graphic press images and clearly the photographers had no guarantee more bombs might be detonated. If one wants to see the graphic images, use Google.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Ok soooo...if you going to go shoot wildlife, by all mean use some common sense or you just might get....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a37_1372267114

Note: Camera body and Lens. Canon with Nikon 14-24 2.8...yes?
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Reminds me of a movie..."Dumb and Dumber"
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited June 2013
    @Golf007sd That guy is lucky, the deer could have done some serious damage (and I don't mean just to the gear!).

I've been attacked by a Sandhill Crane while shooting, which was a little scarey (they have very sharp beaks!). Luckily the bird never landed a blow!
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    @PB_PM: I totally agree. And for the record it is an Elk not a deer. :P
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited June 2013
    I was thinking that, brain farts do happen. :D
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • PierrePierre Posts: 360Member
    edited June 2013
    (edit) Don't feel like sharing this anymore, don't enjoy being mocked...
    Post edited by Pierre on
    edited June 2013
    @Pierre: Glad you made it safe and sound. I'm sure there is much more, but thanks for sharing.

Now with respect to the "beast" and a venue that has "humans, especially...armed and drunk...around big USA cities.." that is my world..and I handle it each and every day without any fear, because I'm the King of my Jungle...given what I do for a living. So if you are "scared" send me an email...I got your back. I work, walk and drive in the place you find untamed. For you see, the street of America is my domain and I dominate it! Moreover, this animal (that being me) is at the top of the food chain...so those wild animal in the jungle you encountered, better fear me...I come prepared.

Lastly, I have plenty of photo's of my wild and crazy world. Let me know if you want me to send you some pic's....after all I put on average 57,000 miles on my car each year.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    Golf, wouldn't you say hitchhiking through the Americas is a bit different from driving around L.A. on the freeway?

Pierre - awesome story. Sounds like a dream .. and a nightmare at times.
    (edit) Don't feel like sharing this anymore, don't enjoy being mocked...
    That's too bad, it is a really cool story.
    :-<
  • ricochetricochet Posts: 54Member
    The biggest worry I have is being a gray haired guy carrying thousands of dollars of camera equipment over my shoulder while chasing birds in remote areas of our local parks. Recently an older gentleman was hospitalized from being beaten by a punk out to steal his bicycle.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    Not to sound like Rambo but I've always enjoyed living on the edge somewhat. I think that attitude shows in the captures we take when shooting dangerous venues.

One of the great things about photography there's a venue for all of our interest, even for those of use that get a rush by putting ourselves in harms way to get that unique shot.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Golf - actually, it is a Red Deer. There are no Elk in Scotland, but there is a Fort William (he asked the way to Fort William).
    Always learning.
    @spraynpray: I stand corrected. The two look so much alike....arrr.
    @kenadams: If you have ever driven in LA...be it the city or its highways...then you know it is a jungle.
    @Pierre: I was not mocking you..was sharing with you what I deal with on a given daily bases. Nothing more nothing less.
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    @Golf - actually, it is a Red Deer. There are no Elk in Scotland, but there is a Fort William (he asked the way to Fort William).
    I actually looked that up because it didn't seem likely to me that Scotland would have elk. However, google says that there is a land owner that reintroduced a now breeding population of elk on his nature preserve in Scotland, so despite that being a red deer stag in the video there is a chance of seeing elk in Scotland. My experience with elk is that they are f*#%ing huge, so I assumed deer as well. :]
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • PierrePierre Posts: 360Member
    @Pierre: I was not mocking you..was sharing with you what I deal with on a given daily bases. Nothing more nothing less.
    Thanks for clarifying, perhaps I had overreact or misread your intentions. Perhaps I am as ignorant of your experiences as many are of mine. I am sure we could all benefit from your stories and those of others as well. The truth is that even 30 years later, I am still very sensitive and shy to share my inner stories and I have to debate with myself the meaning and appropriateness of sharing.
    edited July 2013
    @Pierre: I'm pleased that you understand the perspective I was trying to share with you and the other members. I was not in anyway shape or form trying to discredit or skew your experience in a direction that way demeaning. Moreover, it is this form of communication that helps us all see the world threw another persons most advance lens of all...his or her eye. So by all means lets them fingers hit the keys and share with us those stores you feel are comfortable and rewarding for us all to visualize and learn from.

Cheers mate.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I hope the following story is as exciting as it gets for me, glad others made it out okay.

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=4575
    edited July 2013
    OK, one more of my stories...about 2009, I was pulling an Airstream trailer out of Candlestick Park in San Francisco and wanted to get some morning shots from Treasure Island...about 4:30 AM. I pull to the island, get turned around, the only woman around, camera is set, looking toward San Francisco....and a white van pulls up, a guy about 40 years old gets out and starts talking to me.

As usual I ask him to stop when he approaches to about ten feet away from me and he does. But, I was caught between adjusting the camera with one eye and watching him with the other....the eventual shots were not to my standards and after he left in his van, I pulled up stakes and left....forgot entirely to turn and grab the Golden Gate Bridge.....

But I felt lucky...if he had been armed with a firearm, I was gone.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

During the war in Vietnam I worked for a while as a combat photographer. It had it rewards, but was dangerous enough getting shot at and all the other stuff that you can imagine.

It was on of one war zones I've been in over the years. They don't get nicer.

My best,

Mike
    @MikeGunter

My greatest respect and admiration for your courage, Mike
    Msmoto, mod
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    The biggest worry I have is being a gray haired guy carrying thousands of dollars of camera equipment over my shoulder while chasing birds in remote areas of our local parks.

Hey I resemble that!!!

Denver Shooter
    edited July 2013
    Here's a real danger when covering motorsports. I think this happened today at the F1 race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aTA05RezBac
    Post edited by bland on
    Sorry folks, uTube removed Bland's video.....
    Msmoto, mod
    Bummer, for those who didn't see it a tire got loose and went flying down pit road hitting the photog in the back of the head. This does happen more than one would think. Another fact is lot more fans are hurt in motorsports than drivers are. You always have to stay alert shooting motorsports.

Here's an example as this bike and rider came flying by me this weekend. I saw this starting to happen so I was able to back out of the way and get the shots.

splat 1
    splat 2
    Splat 3