Lens being stolen -- From your neck

Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
edited July 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
This shocking video is a very good example of how you should always be on the top of your game while caring your gear around.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |

Comments

• KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Be alert, but remember it is "just" plastic and glass, and not worth getting into a fight about. Insurance can cover it...

A friend of mine had his mobile ripped from his hand and started running after the perpetrator. After a fwe hundred yards the guy turns around a corner, and when my friend catches up there were two guys waiting for him, each holding a knife. Luckily my friend smartened up, say "my mistake", turned around, and took of. This happened in London in the middle of the day, on a busy street, with CCTVs, cops patrolling, and lots of onviewers...
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Wow, that's terrible!

Classic use of sleight of hand along with misdirection.

Killerbob is right, it's just not worth trading your life for the lens. Sometimes it's best just to let it go.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Amen. Give up the lens or body and be able to tell people about it is far more Thieves are getting good at cutting straps too, cut, snag and run.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    In my part of the world the scallywags have bolt cutters that cut through hardened steel bike locks
    I don't think a wire will stop them
    As other have said, Give up the and be able to tell people about it
    incidentally how was this filmed? The security camera seems to be at eye level, in the middle of the road
    edited July 2013
    Sun sniper has a steel wire running through the strap to prevent cuts:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=672059&Q=&is=REG&A=details
    I just hope the thief doesn't decide to stab you in the torso if they get frustrated cutting through the sun sniper strap.
    In my part of the world the scallywags have bolt cutters that cut through hardened steel bike locks
    I don't think a wire will stop them
    As other have said, Give up the and be able to tell people about it
    incidentally how was this filmed? The security camera seems to be at eye level, in the middle of the road
    The camera is possibly on a bus. Look at the shadow on the ground. It's those traffic camera stuff in case they get sued they can better prove who was at fault.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited July 2013
    A smart action would be as some of you have mentioned. If someone pulls a knife or gun and wants to rob me I will give then what they ask. However, if someone is going to steal from me.... well that is a different story. I'm not a passive individual and thus I will take actions and not let myself become a victim. Let the chips fall where they may...
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • QuasarQuasar Posts: 24Member
    Do any of you guys use stealth camera bags?

As much as I like Lowepro it screams DSLR. For carrying gear around on vacation a second stealth camera bag seems like it would be a good idea.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited July 2013
    If I go to a place that I want to be stealth, I put black electrical tape on the logo :P
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    An acquaintance of mine was talking on his iPhone in front of a restaurant in Lima, when a guy off the street suddenly punched him right in his face then ran off with his phone.

Last year, my New Year's celebration began in Bogota with a guy thrusting a knife at me -- barely missing my belly -- before he told me in Spanish: "I'm just warning you there many robbers here. Oh, can you please take a nice picture of me and my family?" I still have the pictures.

The first time I went to Brazil, one day I walked to a small municipal park to take some pictures with a P&S. My local contact freaked out when I showed her the pictures that night. I can still hear her screaming, "you went where?!! alone?!! with a camera?!!" I guess I was really lucky to get out unharmed. Ignorance is bliss.

I travel so much that I often get overconfident about safety. Now I accept there is danger everywhere. And no matter how well I think I blend in with the locals, the bad guys can always spot me from a mile away.

I'm thankful I've never been violently robbed. I've only had my wallet stolen -- taken by a classic distraction scam -- in Buenos Aires when I let guard down for a moment.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Once again... My black rapid helps relieve some of the stress. If I am in a shady area I can choke it up so it rests in a hard to nab spot. Local thugs are sissies so you rarely hear of an attack on a photog...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    Do any of you guys use stealth camera bags?

As much as I like Lowepro it screams DSLR. For carrying gear around on vacation a second stealth camera bag seems like it would be a good idea.
    The Event Messenger that Lowe Pro makes is more stealthy. Although it still has the logo on it, there isn't that orange rubber logo, it's just a slightly embossed logo.
  • jjdarlingjjdarling Posts: 59Member
    Yeah, Lowepro's "video" line of bags are actually slightly larger than their regular equivalents, and the logos are black-on-black so it's not super consipcuous. Definitely factored into my purchasing decision.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-350-DSLR-Video-Fastpack/dp/B005MYAHJ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374091900&sr=8-2&keywords=lowepro+video

Still not inconsipicuous but very functional and doesn't have the distinctive orange rubber loo or gaudy yellow Nikon on it.

While we're on the subject, I know they do it for the free advertising, but I hate that Nikon and Canon ship their cameras with such obviously identifying straps. Some of them even have the model number ("D600"). Turning their customers into targets...
    www.jjdarling.com
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    Sun sniper has a steel wire running through the strap to prevent cuts:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=672059&Q=&is=REG&A=details
    DON'T Buy it. Trust me. Don't.

I bought one of these from Calumet and the bit that attaches to the tripod lug is not at all secure. I had my £10k Pentax 645D and DFA 55 f/2.8 hit the ground resulting in repair cost of over £1,000. You have been warned.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    I won't allow anyone to steal from me. If they try it they'll regret finding out about another item of gear I carry.

I'm not trying to sound tough nor am I some gun nut, just saying what's mine is mine and they're nuts if they think they're going to get it.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    No camera is worth getting into a fight over. If there are more of them than me they can have the gear. I can always buy a new camera, I cannot buy a new me. ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    The only things I can see in this video: It can happen everywhere in the world and the guy was stupid enough to show off his gear (offensive confidence) and I was in the same situation 30 years ago in Milano. I know it can happen again if I go to places I'm not familiar with.

Be aware, some of us have more value in the photobag a normal person could save in a year in some countries, US included. If the risk of getting captured or punished is low, our risk increases when walking around with obvious expensive camera around the neck.
  • YolaYola Posts: 1Member
    When traveling around the city, I would always keep my camera in a bag while padlocked; especially if I'm not taking photos. I don't think thieves can steal a camera that is padlocked.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Wrong - they steal the whole bag and cut out the contents at their leisure. :O
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    only one safe option
    stay at home and wrap your self in cotton wool :)
  • Mac_The_KnifeMac_The_Knife Posts: 19Member
    only one safe option
    stay at home and wrap your self in cotton wool :)
    Bubble wrap is more fun.
    D70s
    D90
    Mamiya 60