Black Rapid RS 7strap causing discoloration of camera?

mmfishmmfish Posts: 19Member
edited July 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
After a few days of using the RRS 7 strap I noticed the alloy bottom of my D800 showing a discoloration by the strap's attachment colored buckle. Any one else notice this with such an acclaimed product?
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Can you post a picture or describe the color.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kkanuckkkanuck Posts: 25Member
    Are you perhaps missing the rubber washer that is found between the camera chassis and the bolt on the RS-7 strap?
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @mmfish: Just to clarify Really Right Stuff (RRS) does not make any straps..hence your reference RRS 7. That aside, if you talking about the Black Rapid RS-7... then as Photobug has suggested could you please show us an image.

@kkanuck (+1) good point. The Blackrapid hook does come with a rubber washer that if missing could cause the hook mount to rub against the bottom of the body. Moreover, this would cause a problem for all DSLR given that is the main connecting point.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • mmfishmmfish Posts: 19Member
    No the rubber washer is in place it's the color of the carb
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Maybe a reject batch of items or a knock-off strap because I have both knock-off and BR parts accumulated over the years of trying to save money and the knock-off ones shed their finish stupidly easily, bind up in use due to poor finish and terrible fits, wear out very fast due to the above plus being make of cast shyte and so are best described as generally crappy whereas the BR stuff is all spot on.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @mmfish

Are you saying the carabiner is causing the color on the camera body when it hits it due to normal use? Like it is scraping off the carabiner?
    Msmoto, mod
    Yes that's exactly what I'm saying it was not a knock off but a brand named product By black rapid. The color of the carabiner which is copper colored was found on the bottom D800 plate. Only explanation is the color wears off or bangs too hard against an expensive camera. I was able to return the strap for refund. Any others notice the same?
    None of my Black Rapid 'carabiners' have a copper finish, only a black chrome finish. The attachment on the bottom of the camera isn't black chrome, but it certainly isn't copper either. Where did you buy that 'Black Rapid' strap from? I heard one of the top guys at BR on a podcast once, and he stated they stand behind their products so why don't you email them? I am certain they will want to know about it and they may help you out.
    Always learning.
    edited July 2013
    OK, I checked my Black Rapid strap and indeed, it does make marks from the metal on the ARCA Swiss plate which I use to attach it to the bottom of my body. The color is a brownish copper color...but, for me, this is what I would consider normal for an anodized surface to offset onto another metal surface when scrapped across it.

I have sent an email to Black Rapid to ask for their thoughts.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    Hmm, I must be doing something wrong... no marks on mine... prolly baby it too much...
    Always learning.
    edited July 2013
    I use their Fastner R Stealth. Make's far less noise and it prevents any of the coloration issues that may be the culprit of what mmfish is dealing with.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Have my D800 permanently equipped with the RRS L-Plate, and have the Black Rapid Fastenr permanently connected to the RRS "B2-FAB-F". Works like a charm and is very secure...
    edited July 2013
    @Killerbob: As you know I have the same exact setup. When Adamz saw mine & kkanuck's setup, he too is going that route. The best setup it to have the nob on the B2-Fab-F pointing forward, hence toward the lens facing forward thus preventing it from coming lose as you are walking around.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I haven't even noticed how I mount it, with the knob in one direction or the other. I give it a decent enough tightening and feel very safe with the setup. Even with the D800, battery grip, and the 80-400mm mounted (the B2Fab-F connected to the RRS LC-A13 lens collar), it feels absolutely OK. I have some LocTite for some of the connections, but haven't even applied it yet...
    If you mount it on to a lens that is totally different. I was think more in lines of the body /w the L=plate :)
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    On a side note: When I first read the title of this thread, it didn't appear to me that the issue was related to the camera BODY. So effectively, it read like one of those 'audiophile' threads like "Sound seems too edgy after replacing the volume dial with the wooden version"...
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @golf007sd - I went that way c'z my sh...y Think Tank strap broke, and there's now way I'm gonna pay once again for body repair caused by broken strap... as for the main topic. I'm using my black rapid for a week now and no sign of usage... moreover, climbing a little bit in the past I can say that it's not a normal behaviour to see the carabiner paint on anything. yes this thing wears off a little bit but not in a way that will colour something.

@killerbob - apply the loctite than You will not have to play with the black rapid knob anymore...
    @mmfish

Black Rapid wants a photo sent to them of the discoloration. They say they are baffled as the parts are stainless steel. So, please contact customer support at Black Rapid and send them a photo of the markings so they can resolve the issue for you.
    Msmoto, mod
    I am thinking maybe it isn't transfer of finish from the fitting to the camera, perhaps just the colour the body finish goes when scratched. Does it come off if cleaned?
    Always learning.
    I think you may have it, Spraynpray. I cleaned the bronze discoloration off with a bit of Bar Keeper's Friend. No residue noted after cleaning.

Thus, I am coming to the conclusion the issue may not be the buckle but simply the reaction of the anodized metal to the buckle hitting it. Certainly no fault of the Black Rapid strap.
    Msmoto, mod
    I returned the strap as I didn't like the design of metal on metal . I'm inclined to go with the UP strap no metal yet sturdy
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    It
    @golf007sd - I went that way c'z my sh...y Think Tank strap broke, and there's now way I'm gonna pay once again for body repair caused by broken strap... as for the main topic. I'm using my black rapid for a week now and no sign of usage... moreover, climbing a little bit in the past I can say that it's not a normal behaviour to see the carabiner paint on anything. yes this thing wears off a little bit but not in a way that will colour something.

@killerbob - apply the loctite than You will not have to play with the black rapid knob anymore...
    Wow, I thought Think Tank stuff was top notch equipment. I also thought they have a pretty good warranty policy too. Sorry to hear that.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S