Nikon D600 Screen Issue

rcagar7rcagar7 Posts: 3Member
edited April 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I have had my D600 for about 2 months now. When I first got it I was
having trouble with the rear LCD. After I took a picture, no preview
would come up, only the green LED light would come on (near the bottom
right of LCD). I took it into Henry's and they suggested it was a memory
card issue. I bought new cards and it seemed to fix the problem.
Everything was fine until last night. I was out shooting and everything
was working fine. When I came inside and sat down I went to review some
of my shots. Now the preview button and menu buttons are not working
(nothing comes up on the LCD, just black screen). The only way i can get
anything on the LCD is when I press live view, and that works as it
should (great....).

I am upset that I didn't get a new unit when I took it in the first
time (day 2 of the 15 day exchange window), and now I am unsure of what
to do or think. Any recommendations?!

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• ChromiumPrimeChromiumPrime Posts: 84Member
    Sorry to hear that. I never heard of Henry's so can't say anything about them one way or the other but it seems strange to me that a faulty memory card could have caused the issue in the first place... then again I'm not an expert.

The only thing I can recommend is to take it a Nikon service center near you (maybe other than Henry's) or call Nikon customer service and see if they can trouble shoot it for you first.
    Way too much gear & way too few photos :-O
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Have you done a factory reset? Pulled the battery for a few hours?
  • rcagar7rcagar7 Posts: 3Member
    I pulled the battery and still nothing. Havent done a factory reset though ill try that. PS, Henry's is a Canadian retailer.

Thanks for the tips, hopefully it fixes it
  • rcagar7rcagar7 Posts: 3Member
    Just brought it back into the retailer. Basically the only option they
    left me with was to have them send it back into Nikon for repair (under
    warranty), which could take 4-6 weeks. Wow this sucks. Any other ideas?
    Would it be better to take it to a Nikon Center myself (I believe the
    closest to me is near Toronto, about a 2 hour drive).
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Will they loan you one while it is out at repair? Alternatively, you could buy a used FF body and sell it when you get your D600 back. Might not cost you more than $50...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The Nikon repair center in Ontario is in Mississauga, but the drive still might end up cheaper than shipping. I wouldn't send anything that expensive without shipping insurance, and on a $1999 camera that could be rather expensive. I make the drive (1 hour) to the local Nikon service center for that very reason, it's cheaper than shipping.

Henry's (largest Camera retailer in Canada) is usually very good about that kind of stuff, but they do not offer their own repair service.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • friedmudfriedmud Posts: 14Member
    Just a few questions:

1. When you press the Menu button (top left button on the back) nothing happens?

2. Are you sure that your shutter button isn't slightly depressed (if it is, then photo reviewing and the Menu won't come up)

3. If you can bring up the menu what do you have selected for "Image Review" in the "Playback" menu (the top menu in the Menu)?

4. What do you have set for "Playback display options"?

I really suspect something is up with the shutter button... if I barely depress and hold my shutter button my D600 acts just like you are suggesting. I can't bring up the menu or "playback" but I CAN start Live View.
  • TmontgomTmontgom Posts: 1Member
    Just got the D600 and after 3 days I am having the same problem. Menu and preview buttons are not working. What did you end up doing to solve the problem?
  • jjdarlingjjdarling Posts: 59Member
    "Are you sure that your shutter button isn't slightly depressed ..."

Cheer up shutter button!

...sorry, I'll see myself out.
    www.jjdarling.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
    When I put the Calumet trigger on the camera and connect it with a cable to the D600 for remote shutter control, the LCD screen remain black, when I press the menu button or the play button. I tried to format the card with the 2 buttons on the camera and that does not work either, maybe there is more.

The power on or off switch on the trigger itself makes no difference.

The trigger is connected with a cable that has an on and off button, in the off stand everything works, in the on stand the LCD stays black.

It is the 4 channel wireless receiver CF0085 and cable, which I bought by Calumet, but that is just info, maybe it is the same with every trigger.

So it is also possible that the - GPS - remote (shutter) - connection is the problem.

Maybe this is something, if so no other option then the Nikon service center, I think.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • Wasan_62Wasan_62 Posts: 1Member
    I also get the same problem what Recagar and Johnongon experienced with their D600 , after 5 months of use , how did you all resolve the issue . pl advice , thank you in advance
  • ibecameweibecamewe Posts: 32Member
    try to compare what is comparable, thus equal. Take on all this the NEX-7, D3X and Sony A900, and then you compare. Set the first point in the box with the rolls and see what yous see, then place the point on the face of the queen of hearts and see, take the dime with the number "1200", the batteries, the head of Mykey and so on. Now, on the end my conclusion is that all those cameras focused on a different item on the setup, that all bring me the same resolution, that D3X, D600 and NEX-7 have the same good sharpness and detail, that NEX-7 is the best investment when it come to IQ and that your setup needs a serious dusting. NEX-7 shows me all dust on Myckey's head while D600 reveals all the dust on top of the globe. All the rest is talks and illusion only. The queen of hearts is my point to see how DOF acts and all 3 FF cameras show this in a clear way, too much DOF for a landscaper, excellent DOF for studio and portrait. On the end, is choose NEX. All i see in those FF cameras is $$$