Early colour footage.

SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
edited August 2013 in Fun & Weird
Don't know if any of you have seen this before, but here is some COLOUR footage of London from 1927! How early does colour (color) go back?
http://vimeo.com/m/7638752
D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.

Comments

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    Amazing, I'm wonder was it really shot in colour or was it painted some time later. Anyway, it's incredible to see video that old about one of the most famous and lovely cities.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    looks like the original was B/W
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    This info came with the Vimeo link ........"This colour footage of 1920's London was shot by an early British pioneer of film named Claude Frisse-Greene, who made a series of travelogues using the colour process his father William – a cinematographer – was experimenting with." It's not a name I've come across before, should I have heard of him? From that description it would suggest the footage was FILMED in colour, not added afterwards. I have always thought colour made an appearance during the Second World War?
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    I suppose the "colour process" could be the adding of colour to monochrome film? Wouldn't that be even more remarkable than the existence of colour film in 1927 though?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited August 2013
    from
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Friese-Greene

This process produced the illusion of true colour by exposing each alternate frame of ordinary black and white film stock through two different coloured filters. Each alternate frame of the monochrome print was then stained red or green.

I have met one of his relatives David Friese-Greene who lives in Bristol

Post edited by sevencrossing on