View NX2

blandbland Posts: 812Member
edited August 2013 in Nikon Software
How do we let Nikon know the sharpening doesn't work anymore?
I've downloaded off of their site and even downloaded off of the cd that came with my D7100, sharpening doesn't work.
Post edited by bland on

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Huh? What version, what OS, thanks.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    I searched the web on this and it seems to be a common problem for the last 2 years. What a shame, they had the best sharpening of any software.

@Ironheart .... I have their latest version. I'm going to try and download the one that came with my D90 this evening and hope a real old version still works. What is a OS?
    edited August 2013
    Operating system? Mac Windows, what version? Please give actual version numbers rather than "latest". Many times when we dig in, we find it isn't "latest". My sharpening works fine on View NX2 2.7.1 on a Mac running 10.6.8

Edit: Just upgraded to 2.7.6 and sharpness slider still works...
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member
    Here is my worthless post of the day ..... Change to Lightroom 5. I really like some features of NX2, but I gave up on it a good while back.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Or if you are a MacHead, switch to Aperture, and await the next version... Even in it's present version, Aperture rocks.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    edited August 2013
    @Killerbob: Oh man, don't start it. :-) It's good, but the missing perspective for updates in (meanwhile) state-of-the-art features such as lens correction, perspective distortion correction, noise reduction, to name but a few, is a HUGE downside. I don't know myself I'm gonna wait before I give up on it. It'll be a little more, just because of the pain of switching, but eventually I will.

Nothing against your verdict, but it's not a very fair advice to get someone hooked on a product the future of which remains unclear.
    Post edited by FlowtographyBerlin on
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I don't think there is any doubt that Aperture will be updated, probably to Aperture X, just like Final Cut and Logic Pro.

I hope it will coincide with the release of the new Mac Pro... I can't wait, but even if it didn't happen this year I am still OK with Aperture.

I can appreciate there is a bunch of things Aperture cannot do right now, but for these more advanced features I have Photoshop. For workflow and basic editing, I use Aperture.
    Here is my worthless post of the day ..... Change to Lightroom 5. I really like some features of NX2, but I gave up on it a good while back.
    I have LR4.4 and use it all the time but I don't care for the sharpening it has. I normally crop and sharpen in NX2 and do the rest in LR4. I'm going to tweak the sharpening in LR4 this evening and see if I can get it close to what NX2 was.

I also like the delighting in NX and it also does raw really well.

Let's try and stay on topic, suffice it to say that certain programs have their strengths and weaknesses. @bland, I cant sem to reproduce your lack of sharpening control. In fact it is working fine. Any ideas?
    @bland, I cant sem to reproduce your lack of sharpening control. In fact it is working fine. Any ideas?
    No, not a one, do you?

I'd still like to know what version of the program and operating system you've got going, in order to further try to replicate it. Thanks.
    The version I have is the latest one on Nikon's website.

Where I'm at now is I downloaded the software twice, kinda like on top of each other and that did help. I'm now able to sharpen a jpeg, haven't tried RAW with the convert function yet, that's where most people are having the problem.