Camera Control Software and Hardware

Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
edited August 2013 in General Discussions
Some of you have given me a small spark that I think I like. I have done some searching for camera control software and there seems to be a lot out there. Some have mentioned CamRanger,Nikontrol,RemoteDSLRcontrol,Promote Control and also Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2 . Those that use these how do you like it and how well does it work. I came across this one digiCamControl sounds good when you read about it,and has anyone used this program and if so do you like it. I would like to use it on my PC at home and my Laptop also think it might be good to use on an ipad. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @Parke1953: which body do you have?

For my point-of-view I will give you some info regarding the Promote Control. This unit function in a number of way but it is by no mean wireless nor does it work with any iPad, iPhone, etc. You program what you want the unit to do in relation to the type of photography you are trying to do...ie, HDR, Time Lamps, Star trails, etc..and off it goes.

msmoto has the CamRanger and it looked very neat...has some cool wireless features and the ability to let the user control the camera setting remotely. I'm sure she will give you more insight on it than I.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    I have a d800. Wired or wireless is ok. Haven't read much on any of these but will try to find some time too. I would like to run most of the controls on the camera and see on a screen. I shake some so I think this could work for me when I'm not walking around. I like Micro, Landscape, Birds, well everything. You know how we are, we try it all at some point.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I don't have any of it but was attracted by the Promote Control for its focus stacking ability but then I read that it doesn't work on Nikon DSLR's only Canon. :-w
    Always learning.
  • NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    You might consider ControlMyNikon. I haven't used it much but I like what I see.
    http://www.controlmynikon.com/cmn.html

What do you want the software to do?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I believe "Control my Nikon" is Windows only. I use CamRanger on my iPad...works well so far. Makes the camera set-up much easier than trying to do it by looking in a small LCD screen or looking in a right angle viewfinder.
    Msmoto, mod
  • jj168jj168 Posts: 15Member
    I tried DSLRDashboard on my android phone and D800. It let you control so many things from the phone, i.e exposure, metering mode, AF mode, so much more. You can even key in the exposure time for the BULB mode. Connection via WU-1a/1b or USB otg.
    It is pretty much a free CamRanger.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Can't be, @jj168 CamRanger is a device and not only an app. And the WU-1a/1b is not working on D800. Which makes your post a bit doubtful. I would be happy, if Nikon would deliver such a cheap WLAN transmitter like the WU-1a.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    spraynpray: Yes it works on Nikon(Golf007sd has one).
    Nuke: I'll read up on that. May work for me but would like something that will run on windows and work on an ipad.
    Msmoto: CamRanger looks good hope they come out with windows 7/8 soon(I see they have a beta version).
    jj168: DSLRDashboard looks good to but I just cant do the small screens. I'm in the stone age when it comes to phones. I only have a dumb phone txt and call.
    Anyone use digiCamControl. I like what it says but does it work? I think it is windows only.
    Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks
  • NukeNuke Posts: 64Member

Anyone use digiCamControl. I like what it says but does it work? I think it is windows only.
    Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks
    Yes, I tried it back in May but I didn't feel it compared to ControlMyNikon. I also remember there being some issues with my D800. Heck, it's open source software. Download it yourself and see if it does what you want.

And yes, ControlMyNikon is a Windows only program. Fine for me because I don't have a phone or pad device.

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @spraynpray & Parke1953: The focus stacking does NOT operate via Live View on Nikons bodies. I wish it did but at the moment it only works with Canon. If you are looking to do focus stacking, I think the CamRanger is the best option.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • jj168jj168 Posts: 15Member
    edited August 2013
    @JJ_SO, sorry i never check if WU-1a/b was working on d800. It was on the user interface of the DSLRDashboard, hence i brought it up (i connect via USB otg cable). If i remember correctly it also does focus stacking. If you have android device, please have a go at it. I have not use it for long time as i prefer to just focus on taking picture with the standard cable shutter.
    Post edited by jj168 on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Parke1953: No it doesn't.
    Always learning.
  • SamkoSamko Posts: 101Member
    Any software for D7100 ? I want to use it for micro, but I find it hard to get right focus.