Problem with D800 and MBD12 Battery Grip

KhyberriderKhyberrider Posts: 2Member
edited July 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I have recently experienced a problem with my D800 when the grip is attached. Inconsistently, the monitor will stop working followed by an inability to use the autofocus. I can still manually focus and still get a good shot but I can't preview the image nor can I access my menu functions. If I remove the grip the problems go away. Turning the body off then on again will allow me to get a couple more shots but then the problems continue soon afterwards. I went back to my retailer and tried a new grip and the problems still occurred. We put my grip on their demo D800 and there were no problems so elimination led me to believe this is an issue with the body. I searched the forum for a similar issue to no avail but I am hopeful someone will have some insight on this. I'm not looking forward to the rumored 6-8 week turnaround from nikon repair. Your insight is most welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Can you blow some compressed air into the camera's socket? Probably some dust is shortening the wrong contact pins? It won't do any harm, if you afterwards need to send it in.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Also use a camera brush to remove any dirt, cotton, etc that might be lurking in the grip or camera body pins.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    What grip are you using? I considered getting one third party (vello). When I held a d800 with sigma 35 and grip the camera felt more balanced and a pleasure to hold. Right now I have the d800 sigma 35 and handstrap. I Now use the handstarp as a cushion for my palm and sometimes attach the tripod mount to have a little bottom grip.

• TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I have heard that issue coming from many 3rd party manufacturers but not from the OEM grip. Might want to make sure you don't have a knock off battery grip.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • KhyberriderKhyberrider Posts: 2Member
    The grip is assuredly an OEM grip the MBD12 as stated. I tried other MBD12 grips and the issue was the same so it's definately not the grip. Problems now continue with the camera going through batteries overnight while it is in the off position. The green power light flashes constantly while the camera is off and the only way to stop it is to remove the memory cards or the battery itself. In addition I can't load images from the camera to my computer which is how I have been transferring from the CF card. At this point I believe I got a lemon and am resigned to the long wait from NPS.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Have you eliminated the possibility of a bad battery? What is your battery arrangement between the grip and body?
  • tirhjetirhje Posts: 1Member
    Khyberrider: I have the same problems as you. Have you figured the problem yet? I think it´s my camera it´s something wrong with and not the grip too.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited October 2013
    I just had my D7000 repaired for the battery flattening over night problem - they changed the connector under warranty and so far, all seems OK.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • dannylodannylo Posts: 2Member
    did you solve your issue? I got the the same problem but in a D610 BODY, Im from central america so send my camera to nikon support will be so hard :( Hope you can answer me what do you do to solve your issue or if you don't solve them.
  • dannylodannylo Posts: 2Member
    Khyberrider: I have the same problems as you. Have you figured the problem yet? I think it´s my camera it´s something wrong with and not the grip too.
    did you solve your problem yet?
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    Any updates on this, I don't want to buy the grip for the D800/800E,D810 if it's having issues from Nikon.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I use my MB-12 on both a D800 and a D810 and have had no issues.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I have never had a problem with the grip any my D800. Just buy it and be done with it.
    I have never had a problem with the grip any my D800. Just buy it and be done with it.
    "Just buy it and be done with it"....lol
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
    So what do you really get out of the grip for the D800/800E.810? I have the Nikon grip on my D700 and I get the advantage of a FPS boost along with the second shutter button, etc....

From what I have been reading all I would get out of a MB-12 is more battery life.... If I could get 2 FPS more with the grip, it would be a more meaningful purchase....
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I believe you get those things. The D810 gives you an extra frame or two per second (depending on shooting mode) and you get the extra shutter button/selector on both camera. It also, IMO, provides a deeper grip to give you better control over the camera.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Extra battery life is good, especially if you upgrade to the D4 battery. If you are a professional, the grip makes it look "professional" and that may be good marketing with clients.

However, the main reason is if you shoot in portrait mode. I will often shoot over a thousand photos in a day, mostly in portrait mode. Without a grip, my arm and wrist might be suffering from significant medical issues.
    Grip helps with the grip, portrait mode, extra frames, nikon D4s battery EN-EL18A for even more battery life and stability for me.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    All are positive remarks about the MB-12 Grip, however be aware, you raising the weight issue considerably especially with the D4 battery, the combination weighs more than a D4/4s, and with a 24-70 lens it's the same weight combination of a medium format Camera/.lens!
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • One_Oh_FourOne_Oh_Four Posts: 70Member
    Any updates on this, I don't want to buy the grip for the D800/800E,D810 if it's having issues from Nikon.
    @Snowleopard: This is the first time I have heard of problems with the MB-D12 (okay, 2nd time with tirhje's post). Since the OP is from July 2013 and no one other than thrive chimed in, I'd conclude that it's not an often occurring problem. To me, it looks like damaged / dirty contacts in the body or the grip.

I have the grip on my D800 for weeks on end with the (third party D4) in it and no problems whatsoever. The advantages for me are: steadier holding of the camera in portrait attitude, 1 fps faster than with the normal battery. I don't mind the increased weight.
    Well I got the MBD 12 today from B and H. I am using the EN EL 15 battery holder because I don't want to drop the coin on the D4s battery and charger and battery cover at the moment...... The D810 with the grip is huge...... and heavy now... my D700 is lighter with the grip.
    Congrats, you will get used to it. I also have the L bracket on it and it is a perfect fit and balances well.
    edited June 2015
    Congrats, you will get used to it. I also have the L bracket on it and it is a perfect fit and balances well.
    I still am surprised at the weight difference over the 700 with the Grip, but I guess I will get use to it.... I keep hearing about these L brackets, what are they? (link) . I use Gitzo tripods and ball heads.
    Post edited by Snowleopard on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    'L' brackets fit to the bottom of your camera and extend across the bottom and up the cover side of the body. They incorporate an Arca-Swiss standard fitting which allows the body to be slid out of the tripod head and changed from landscape to portrait or vice-versa without losing composition. They also allow attachment of macro accessories etc easily via cheaply available clamp plates but that is a secondary advantage. You can pay $5 (ish) on ebay or $200 (ish) at RRS for basically the same thing.
    Always learning.