Stripped down D4 rumor

crizmancrizman Posts: 27Member
edited August 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
So I was on facebook the other day and a camera store was hinting "hypothetically" that Nikon might be coming out with a stripped down version(s) of a D4. no video for example and a few other differences in features. I didn't see anything here, so what gives? Were they just jacking up people's hopes & dreams or maybe polling for wish lists or just trolling? Did anyone else see this?

Comments

• someonenikonsomeonenikon Posts: 7Member
    Would be cool. I would not buy a camera with no video mode but I bet a lot would.
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    I have not seen this rumor, but would jump at it assuming it is not gutted of the more useful functions for bif, and sports photography. Video is too time consuming to watch, and edit, for me. I enjoying capturing the moment, and then moving on to the next opportunity.
    edited August 2013
    @someonenikon: That is a good observation. My son loves video, and anyone that does weddings has to have it these days, or carry a camera that can do video. It really depends on what we shoot, and what we enjoy.
    Post edited by TriShooter on
  • crizmancrizman Posts: 27Member
    I have no use for video at all. I have aD200 & prefer my cameras w/o video!
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    I guess I am not into video because I have only turned on the video a few times and did not do anything with it.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I think the D400 in September has more validity...LOL

Even if Nikon had a D4 with features removed, it would be most likely almost the same price. Think D800 vs, D800E.....no AA filter, but costs more.

And, what would be the point. At this price level Nikon is not going to shoot themselves in the foot and offer the same still features at less cost....

Highly doubtful this is anything more than an advertising gimmick....for the store....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member
    Agree with Msmoto - what would be the point? Video is largely software driven anyway. Wouldn't be economical to change hardware just to NOT have video.
    I also agree with crizman. I have no use for video, and would be just as happy not to have it. I'd rather not have to pay for its development (software and hardware) when I buy a camera to take stills. I have a video camera, and several digital cameras that can do video. I have very few videos. Only took one (!!!) video with a digital still camera since 2003.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited August 2013
    "Highly doubtful this is anything more than an advertising gimmick....for the store...."

Well observed - I think you nailed it.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    Could be an abused interpretation of the D4x rumor.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    might be a dx version they may call it the DCD

• AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited August 2013
    Well I heard the other day that the D400 "is like a stripped down D4". Or maybe I dreamt about that? ;)
    Post edited by Ade on
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    As soon as I see the "no video" I know the "rumor" is worth nothing. Video isn't going anywhere and although there is a bit of hardware tweaking to have video, at this point it would cost more to produce a camera without video now that it is incorporated into all of them.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    +1 for Msmoto. All that needs to be said.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • @someonenikon: ...anyone that does weddings has to have it these days, or carry a camera that can do video.
    That's completely untrue.

edited August 2013
    As soon as I see the "no video" I know the "rumor" is worth nothing. Video isn't going anywhere and although there is a bit of hardware tweaking to have video, at this point it would cost more to produce a camera without video now that it is incorporated into all of them.
    Hmm I don't know about that. At least one recent high end camera omitted video, and marketed as a photographer's camera. But I don't think it would be smart for Nikon to do the same, especially if cost savings is given as the reason.
    Post edited by Ade on
    @FedererPhotography - I am not a wedding photographer, but stand corrected by your experience.

My comment was based on the marriages we have attend in the last decade which all had both photos and video at the wedding, and the reception. We included video for our daughter's wedding which the grooms family really appreciated at the time. My opinion is that video is popular with parents. We watched our daughter's wedding more times than I can remember, and enjoy the large photos we hung on the walls every day.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    At least one recent high end camera omitted video, and marketed as a photographer's camera.
    Which camera was this? I cannot think of any DSLR's released by any of the mainstream manufactures in the last two years that does not include video.

Frankly those who say they don't want video are the same people who said they didn't want liveview on DSLR's. Can you think of any mainstream DSLR's today that don't have liveview? Heck, even the newest high end Leica M series camera now has liveview and video!
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    The Leica M Monochrom was the one that came to mind!
    The Leica M Monochrome is not exactly a mainstream DSLR. :)) It's a niche product based on the old M9, which also didn't video.
    I didn't say DSLR, did I? ;) I said, "recent high end camera".
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited August 2013
    Agree with the others above. The "stripped down D4" term was probably somebody's crude description of what they thought the D400 would be. Every time I hear of something being a stripped down version of something great I always imagine the buyer, at some point, would wish he/she had just saved up for the real deal.

In terms of video, I recall Mike Gunter in another post suggesting that any wise photographer dedicate some time to looking into doing a little video to keep on the market's edge. To support that I'm starting to see more video captures on random professional photographer's websites showcasing their personalities and talents.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• MyrddinMyrddin Posts: 15Member
    I suspect that the so-called rumor was merely wishful thinking on someone's part. Like the folk who want to buy a Jaguar for the price of a Ford and ask if there is a model without the electric windows.

Video is a software feature. It costs Nikon exactly as much to include it in the camera as to leave it out. The only way to make the D4 significantly cheaper is to make it outside Japan and build more of it by machine rather than by hand.

Nikon already has four 'low cost D4's, the D800, D800E, D600 and D300. Why would they need another?

What Nikon does need is a model above the D4 (D4x), a model to replace the D300 (D400) and an entry level model to compete with the new Canon (D1000).

There is a clear need in the Nikon range for a 50MP body since that is the highest resolution demanded by the print mags like Vogue. There is an outside possibility that such a sensor might not be suited to video. But I kind of doubt that would be the case.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    50MP for an A4 size image? @-) Man, my eyes must be bad....
    Always learning.
    50MP for an A4 size image? @-) Man, my eyes must be bad....
    If you only knew how much cropping some of those magazines do...
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    Its not about cropping, as plenty of those images they run with are not cropped, its about editing. People tend to forget that about high MP.
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2