Are other photogs annoying?

tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
edited August 2013 in General Discussions
Lol...in good taste that is. I frequent another forum and for all I know it could be people from here, but it seems many people are ill informed photogs and it gets annoying. I know when I first joined the old NR I asked silly beginner questions and what body is better and which lens and then complained my camera wasn't sharp like national geographic pictures. But what I see is people that think they know everything and then shoot down someone that seems to be somewhat knowledgeable without taking into account anyone's background or really what the topic is about. I am no pro and don't claim to be, but I have some OK glass and a little bit dated body. I however see people bashing say a D5200 and recommending far fetched stuff for someone just beginning and I wonder if anyone else gets this? I know it can even happen here, but I think most just try to be honest here and post based on person experience. And sometimes suggesting something more expensive can save money in the long wrong, but not everyone is like most that frequent here.

And just a latest example. I suggested that a benefit of the D90, D7XXX line benefited from the in body motor that some of the lower models didn't and that there are some older lenses that can be had for cheaper that work great with the in body auto focus motor. I got blasted because that is no advantage. No pro shoots non-afs lenses and lots of people still use af lenses on the lower bodies. No one needs auto focus and everyone that is everyone shoots manual...is really what the following posts came down to.
D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I've never really come across a nasty or irate person with a high end camera. I say that because in my opinion photographers earn income from their photos and I can't tell.

Usually I comment on their gear and we start a quick conversation around gear, and even then it's rare because if I'm out to shoot I don't really concentrate on other people.

For the most part, most people are pretty nice. I've never really met a troll-type photographer.

Maybe I was a bit nasty myself though, because I did remember seeing a D3 with an 18-200 and laughed, what's the point?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi tcole1983,

I hope no one does that here with any regularity at least.

This forum tends to be pretty spendy with other peoples' money, ;-) but really that's usually pie in the sky and tends to settle down to reality in the end with good advice with a lot of first-hand experience that reaches back several decades.

It also seems that some people feel that there is a 'one size fits all' approach to photography. That doesn't jive with reality. If that was the case, there would be one channel on the TV and only one magazine on the rack.

People are diverse; and that's how we like our art. Not all in one size.

I had a lot of great guys helping me along the way, photographers and editors, teachers and mentors and folks who weren't even in media that pushed me along.

Kindness pays.

My best,

Mike
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    edited August 2013
    I don't see it here often, this was more focused on another forum that isn't necessarily photography based. But some that like to share their opinion, right or wrong. I have on occasion come across people in person that share the same misinformed, but highly opinionated attitude. I usually try to avoid them or not discuss, but it happens.

In my post on the other forum I just tried to point out some of the differences between the body lines, but it wasn't taken well. No lose as I didn't post anymore, but just wondered how often people came across this type of thing.

Oh yeah and I will mention it seems to be the ones that are slightly informed, but not highly informed. Probably joe schmoe with average equipment and don't make money taking pictures.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)

Maybe I was a bit nasty myself though, because I did remember seeing a D3 with an 18-200 and laughed, what's the point?
    Lol I probably do the same...or maybe think I am cooler because I am not using a kit lens
    ;)
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited August 2013
    there are two other forums that I frequent that are photography based specific and most of the people there are bitter and complain.

this forum is a 180 of that. I have learned much more here than anywhere else and the community is beyond helpful. The PAD is a motivation station and the replies are helpful. Here and there I find what you speak of but we are all imperfect and human and have our opinions but for the most part everything is said with respect. NR is my new fav site.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2013
    "Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
    Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. "

And if a did get a D4 i would use my 18-200 on it ;-)

"Go wrathfully among the poised and chaste, and recall what mindless stimulation may be had in noise. As far as possible without surrender, alienate as many timorous little bastards as you can. Prevaricate at volume with Byzantine obfuscation, and listen not to others smarmy bilge: the dull and the ignorant; say yo, whazzup with them? Avoid passive-aggressive personalities as you would the plague; it’s bad enough that they are deadly boring; they’re also a royal pain in the ass.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vexed and bitter. Some news flash there! For always will these bungling fools be lesser persons than yourself, and nine out of ten better paid to boot. "
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I thought this thread was going to be about how other photographers walk straight into your shot and start setting up to shoot - I have had plenty of that, and is is a real PITA.

There is too much of the 'buy the best or you're just one of the rest' mentality even here tho but we all laugh about it eventually (you wanna cheap tripod? get RRS. You wanna body for xxxx? D4/D800/e). :D
    Always learning.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    It is very nice to see that even accomplished photographers (and we certainly have a few here at NR), are good at patiently giving advice to even the basic questions. In other forums I follow you can pretty easily get shot down for asking too basic. Also NR more often have good in-depth discussions about photography theory.

As for the gear talks it is certainly true that we are good at spending each others money, and some are quick to suggest a newcomer to buy a D4/D800, but I do believe this is done in good faith. The PAD shows with clarity that it is often the quality of the photographer and not the gear that defines the quality of the pictures.
  • cowleystjamescowleystjames Posts: 74Member
    edited August 2013
    I frequent another photo forum and several people seem to deride pleasure in flaming others, I've even been on the receiving end myself.
    Don't find that at all on this forum, seems like a gentler, more placid, place to be. Perhaps, I just don't look deep enough :-)
    In all seriousness, it does seem as if Nikon Rumours has a different perspective on forum life and all for the better in my mind.
    We all have to start somewhere and as a noobie, I've posted some pretty stupid stuff. Only because I couldn't be bothered to scroll thru' all the answers coming up after a search........ How life changes
    Post edited by cowleystjames on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    IMO on NRF, the idea is to express opinions as to what one may know by experience or by research. The language suggested is to keep it clean and acceptable for what we may wish our children to see. Also, an attack on another person, be they correct or not is unacceptable.

This forum I find extremely pleasant to read as almost all of the participants seem to be well intentioned and many are extremely talented photographers. And, I thank all of you for this.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited August 2013
    There will always be individuals in any setting that lack the ability to articulate their perspective in a friendly or professional manner. It is the job of those individuals within the community that have been trusted in addressing such matter to see things stay civil. Here and NRF, I enjoy reading healthy conversation between the members on the numerous topics that are being discussed. When it goes off track and begins to become a "pissing" contest...action is required and will be taken. If such actions are unacceptable to those within any community, or the type of conversation taking place on any medium, the solution is easy: don't click on the link.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    I thought this thread was going to be about how other photographers walk straight into your shot and start setting up to shoot - I have had plenty of that, and is is a real PITA.

There is too much of the 'buy the best or you're just one of the rest' mentality even here tho but we all laugh about it eventually (you wanna cheap tripod? get RRS. You wanna body for xxxx? D4/D800/e). :D
    LOL..ever been to Disney? We would show up an hour plus early to the shows at night and have a perfect spot and people would literately come and stand right in front of you and on top of you. That place has to be one of the most frustrating places I have ever been.

As for NikonRumors...the people here are people and attitude here are probably the only reason I stay around much anymore. I have been super busy with work lately, but I still try to stop by when I get a chance. I have always found it very informative and the people pleasant. Seems like in most places the internet brings out the worst in people when they aren't talking face to face, but I appreciate the way NR handles discussions (like real mature people should).
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    I guess the behavior on other sites is just a sign of the times..., it sure does make NR a refreshingly positive experience.

In terms of the gear discussion I want to reduce it to the result: make a list of your ten favorite photographs and then find out how many of these shots were taken with a model newer/ more expensive than your discussed setup.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I think you will always find people who let their ego get them best of them. Fortunately that doesn't seem to occur very often on NR and the spirited discussions are frequently enlightening and entertaining. The more one learns of a subject the more it becomes apparent that there is so much less absolute and so much more ambiguity.

I am happy to say my experience at NR has been pleasurable as it has been when I have run across other photographers at a common venue.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    To answer the original question, "Are other photogs annoying?" Some are, some are not. Question answered. :P I find most people in the field just leave you alone. The total geeks might start asking about your lens or camera, but otherwise it is easy to keep to yourself on a shoot.

As for forums, I don't think most people intend to be rude, but some important aspects of language are lost in written words, like a) the lack of body language, b) vocal tone and c) translation, it's easy to get into an argument over something people might actually agree on. Of course the important thing to remember is some people just like to stir the pot in order to either get a raise out of people or to get the person to expand on a thought process. I find it very interesting when people say why they think something is the way it is, rather than just simply making blanket statements.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I find this thread annoying. Just stirring the pot :-)
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited August 2013
    I hate "serious photographers" who think it is their place to lecture me on things I already know or give dumb advice just because they can. Most good and veteran photographers who give advice have useful and great things to say. I have a veteran helping me with a local event who is full of experience and good advice.

I once bumped into a guy (not a photographer profession) who felt it was his place to lecture me on why I was a fool for getting a 14-24mm and using it on my D7000. "It is a full frame lens! You need a fullframe camera" & "that makes no sense". I told him I was broke... "Well you shouldn't have got it. Return it and get the 12-24mm. It is a much better lens for your camera!". When I came back at him with I use it on my n80, that wasn't good enough... "you need a full frame camera!". I just walked off. Too bad I left out that I had a D700 in my bag lol
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson