Nikon DSLR FX with built in GPS

sunsetsmilesunsetsmile Posts: 5Member
edited August 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hello folks,

I am looking for a new FX DSLR camera body (my previous is a D70s, I know…) and I want to have a built in GPS capability in order to avoid external accessories and all the clutter it comes with. Given the fact that the D600 is almost a year old, I was hopping of a small refresh from this body with this added capability in the near future.

Am I dreaming? Will we have any chance to see a Nikon FX DSLR with built in GPS capability any time soon, or shall I forget it and go for the D600 without this feature?

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Enjoy the week-end.
Tagged:

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Its almost a year since Canon released their camera 6D with GPS if you need that feature then maybe you should consider switching to canon.. .. having said that nikon and canon usually leap frog each other and so its very likely the next DSLR from nikon will have GPS ..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Hello folks,

I am looking for a new FX DSLR camera body (my previous is a D70s, I know…) and I want to have a built in GPS capability in order to avoid external accessories and all the clutter it comes with. Given the fact that the D600 is almost a year old, I was hopping of a small refresh from this body with this added capability in the near future.

Am I dreaming? Will we have any chance to see a Nikon FX DSLR with built in GPS capability any time soon, or shall I forget it and go for the D600 without this feature?

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Enjoy the week-end.
    It's hard to say, most consumer cameras like the D600 are sold on a two year cycle. An update is possible, and might be needed considering issues with the D600, but it might not come for another year.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • sunsetsmilesunsetsmile Posts: 5Member
    Thanks a lot for your inputs. I consider myself more an educated consumer than a pro, what would you recommend. Wait for the next FX (when?) or go for it?

I already have 70-200mm f/2.8G, 105mm f/2.8G and 50mm f/1.4G and am considering buying the 24-70mm f/2.8G as well.

I find the D800 too big and complex for my need.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If you have a D70s, you have been with this a long time....had one myself. I think I might wait 6 months and see what comes along. As the D600 has had enormous problems with oil and dirt on the sensor, I cannot recommend one. My guess, and only this, is that most of the cameras will have the capability soon as it helps in the professional field with documentation of the image venue and fro amateurs many folks like to have the info on their vacation photos. Thus, it may be a selling feature and I do not believe it requires a lot of mechanical stuff in the camera body.
    Msmoto, mod
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Refreshes on higher end bodies are at least 2 years and all higher end bodies are 4. D600 is new, but given the costs of FX sensors haven't dropped that much, I would expect this body to be on a 4-year cycle as well. We are probably at least 2 years away from a FX release other than maybe a D4x that will come in at $6,000+.

As for GPS getting added, I'm not sure. There is more demand for Wifi than GPS and given that both drain the battery, I'm not sure which will win. I could see a DX body getting it though.

I would love to see a battery grip that includes Wifi and GPS instead of just an extra battery.

D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator

I could see a DX body getting it though.
    +1 I bet the D1000 will have wifi and/or gps
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I would love to see a battery grip that includes Wifi and GPS instead of just an extra battery.
    I agree with many of your points, specially the quote above. Great suggestion for Nikon to consider!!
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @TaoTeJared

The grip having these capabilities...super idea!
    Msmoto, mod
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Since Canon can make full-frame DSLRs with both WiFi and GPS without requiring a grip, I think it would be a step back for Nikon to require a grip for the same functions.
  • Mac_The_KnifeMac_The_Knife Posts: 19Member
    But, if Nikon made a grip with these capabilities for existing cameras, That may loosen the purse strings of customers that don't want to buy a whole new camera for those features, but yet don't like the idea of a dongle plugged into their camera. New models on the other hand...
    D70s
    D90
    Mamiya 60
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    The current Nikon GPS looks clumsy and eats up the hot shoe. It would be nicer if it was built in.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @NSXTypeR: You do not have to have it mounted on the hot shoe. I have had mind attached to a strap. Moreover, the best way I have found in using the GPS is to take one shot with it on, given a specific location each time, then I remove it. Once I have download all the image back home, I just copy GPS info across the other images. Hence, geotagging.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The current Nikon GPS looks clumsy and eats up the hot shoe. It would be nicer if it was built in.
    As long as you can turn it off, it would be nice. Having a GPS in camera is just a waste of battery life, so unless they can make a low power unit it is worthless for anything but when you are close to home. I can just see myself out camping for two weeks, forgetting to turn the GPS off and running a battery down the first day. :))

Adding a GPS/wifi would also lead to compromised build quality on high end models, since the signals have a hard time passing through metal.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    On Canon cameras you can enable/disable WiFi & GPS via the menu.

Adding GPS/wifi will not compromise build quality. Even the D4 does not have an all-metal exterior, and can easily accommodate antenna wires.