Black Rapid Strap Cautions -- Older design

MyrddinMyrddin Posts: 15Member
edited August 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
My D800 was firmly attached to the Black Rapid strap one minute, then it wasn't. Fell two foot onto a stone floor and now the mirror is jammed. Judging from other forum comments, that is a $250 to $600 repair.

Could have been much worse, there was a 30 ft drop the other side.

The only way it could have happened is the carbina clip opened.
Post edited by Golf007sd on

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I read similar issues. I bought a safety clip but haven't used the strap anymore.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The Carabiner on my Black Rapid strap has a safety mechanism which screws down over the clip so it can not be inadvertently opened. If yours does not have this, I doubt if it is authentic. And if it does, let us know what actually happened. Did something break?

I have contacted Black Rapid and asked them to comment on this issue.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited August 2013
    I have a love/worry thing with my Black Rapid. Love the way it holds the camera to my side and easy to swing up to the face or shoot from the hip.
    The worry: I lost the rubber gasket on the mounting screw months ago but skillfully shaved down a super dense piece of felt (bought from Home Depot and meant to prevent chair or table legs from scuffing the floor) to the size of the Black Rapid screw, punched a hole in it and it serves the purpose well. Actually it stays put better than the rubber gasket did. I'm constantly checking that safety latch that Msmoto mentioned which is often distracting at times. Perhaps a small wrap with gaffer tape will offer a little more peace of mind.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It wouldn't be hard for BR to make a doubly safe catch by providing a snap-in centre for the carabiner that blocks the carabiner opening for when we forget to tighten the locking sleeve. Then us OCD worryaholic photographers can sleep at night. :)
    Always learning.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited August 2013
    @Myrddin: If it is an authentic BR, I find it hard to believe that carabiner is the culprit. What I have found to be more problematic is the screw that attached the BR to the body itself. I have personally had it come lose, due to a full day of shooting, where by my D4 fell from my hip to the floor. My right foot took most of the hit and save the day...quick reflex's come in handy that day \:D/. I have now become much more attentive in making sure the base screw is always on nice an tight each time bring the body up and take a shot. Moreover, I no longer have it screwed to my RRS L-Plate. I purchased this clamp that it screws to now.

It is always unpleasant to see, read or hear about such an incident, I hope the repair cost is minimal....best wishes.

@Rx4Photo: Nice "MacGyver" repair. Should you ever decide on a replacement....have a look at this one by BR.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • fatrascalfatrascal Posts: 8Member
    There definitely is a widely reported safety problem with their straps. They will announce a tether solution in fall this year.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    No problems here ever in two years of working with the BR strap. I don't use the screw that often, I clip the carabiner onto a nylon zip tie attached to my L-plate. I can't see how the carabiner can come loose unless you unscrew the screw lock.

Having said that, I have dropped a D800 and a 70-200 lens when it wasn't attached to the strap. A very, very costly error in both lost time and lost equipment. I NEVER try to set up my (replaced) camera on any rig now unless it is attached to the black rapid strap. only removing the strap once I verify the security of the mount twice. Nowadays I also use additional nylon zip-ties to be sure that if something does come loose, nothing can fall too far.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    I've been using a Peak Design wrist strap as a tether with my RS-7. Clips on and off easy with one of their circular anchor thingies, but I usually just leave it on and thread my hand through the tether strap to hold the camera. Haven't had any issues with the strap so far, but even with just my D7000, I'm still paranoid.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • DJBee49DJBee49 Posts: 133Member
    I bought my BR strap about a year ago and when it arrived I really stress tested the screw and the carabiner clip and came away convinced that they were solid. I then attached a Kirk Arca type plate to it by the screw and put Loctite on the thread. This never comes off as I have plates attached to all my camera supports, so they are all effectively permanent fixtures. My D800 has a very wonderful Kirk 'L' Bracket permanently attached as well so everything just slots together seamlessly.

I then had several occasions when I noticed the sleeve that screws over the hinged clip- stopping it from opening- had unscrewed itself, making it possible for the clip to open. I have dribbled Loctite down onto the (hidden) thread of this also, making it totally secure in its closed position. As I have a QD Arca plate permanently attached, the clip is for me , redundant and so can just remain closed all the time. The result is a clever strap that works well and in which I have total confidence. I regularly use use it whilst climbing and walking with £4,000 worth of Nikon gear hanging from it without concern. When I need to transfer to a tripod or other support, I just detach the camera/lens from the plate on the strap and lock it into the new location.
  • psdragepsdrage Posts: 15Member
    I have used my BR for 2 years + with no issues. Use with D800 / 24-70 attached to Camera and 70-200 attached to foot with no issues. If used properly and checked before each shoot it is fine. I do however have a failsafe attached to the left neck strap eyelet and a lightweigth climbing cabineer to the BR Strap buckle. Never had an issue but when hanging £5k off a strap I like to be double sure. Whilst I do not think the BR needs a failsafe, I think they will release their own version.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I've also had a BR strap for several years and never had any issues.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I am looking to buy a BR strap so I appreciate all the fail safe ideas. Thanks ladies and gents.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    +1 for the RRS B2-FAB-F / BR solution... With a bit of Locktite it is very very secure. The idea of putting a bit of Locktite into the Carabiner itself is smart thinking and I'll be doing that as well. With the RRS solution, I never take that off anyway.
    While on the subject of Black Rapid and safely...for those that are, or do travel to an area that you may feel a bit unsafe, you may want to consider this accessory for your BR.

Black Rapid ProtectR Long.

For those that do have this, please leave us some feedback...thank you.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    The only way it could have happened is the carbina clip opened.
    Ouch, sorry to hear about this!

Just to be clear about this because you did not go into detail; you are indicating by what you said that there were no other problems with the strap after the accident other than the locking sleeve was not secured? If that is the case, are you certain that it was done up when the camera was attached and if so how long had the camera been on the strap? Could it be that you forgot to do it up at all?

Personally I have dry skin on my hands and find the lack of knurling on the sleeve to be irritating as I can't tell when it is done up tight easily enough.
    Always learning.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    The Carabiner on my Black Rapid strap has a safety mechanism which screws down over the clip so it can not be inadvertently opened. If yours does not have this, I doubt if it is authentic. And if it does, let us know what actually happened. Did something break?
    I have not seen a BR strap without the safety mechanism on the carabiner. I have seen a lot of fake one's with cheap carabiners though.

My BR strap

Like many on here I have used mine for years with no issues.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Never had a problem with any aspect of my full strap and Ive been using it for 2 years. Ive done many 12 hour shoots with it and it works fantastic. I find it hard to believe that the carabiner on yours is genuine and if it is then it must have been a factory defect. In fact my safety screw always manages to tighten up over the lock even though I rarely use it.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • EiTaroEiTaro Posts: 35Member
    I've set up my BlackRapid Sport strap this way and I'm very pleased with this solution
    http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2011/12/20/black-rapid-arca-solution/
    D800 | 16-35mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 150-600 Sport | SB910 | RRS
  • pippigurlpippigurl Posts: 241Member
    I am a stickler for making certain that my gear is as secure as the next...but...I had a near instance similar in which the safety slide had positioned itself so as to not keep the gate from opening. Fortunately, I was using a small "Utility Strap" from Optech that ran through the L-bracket and secured on the strap end through the closed stainless steel mount the carabiner swivels on. If using a heavy lens I use another Utility Strap and connect to the strap wit a caribiener. This was discussed in the below Flickr threads.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1567431@N22/discuss/72157633736133342/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1567431@N22/discuss/72157629445277896/?search=Op/tech
  • HallvardkHallvardk Posts: 19Member
    A friend of mine lost her new 6D with 24-105 attached down a cliff while hiking. Dunno how it happened, but the BR strap must have snapped at some point. +1 for McGyver safety options.
  • MyrddinMyrddin Posts: 15Member
    My Black Rapid strap was purchased direct from the company, it is definitely authentic, but they have changed the design. I find it rather surprising that so many people would leap to the assumption that I have fake gear when the Black Rapid web site makes clear that the design has been changed.

My old style caribiner has no lock on it, the new one does and looks like it is secure against this problem. I would strongly recommend anyone with the old style strap upgrade to the new clip if they are going to keep using the strap.
    edited August 2013
    @Myrddin: Most of those that responded, including myself, assumed you had the newer design. Hence, many of the responses.

For those that have the "old style" get the newer one in order to hedge against the body coming off.

I have changed the topic name to indicated that this thread deals with the old model.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    That had to be quite old - I found a photo of me with mine so I have had it 5 years and I have the lock on the carabiner.

There have been a few different "screw" attachment styles over the years. I like the Sun Sniper's the best since it allows free rotation and much less worry about it coming unscrewed. I generally have my 70-200 attached to it and a lens pouch with either another zoom or primes on my belt while my strap is wrapped around my wrist. (yeah I know that must sound odd to some) It is amazing how much that lense starts to spin.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Ah, yes. The mystery is solved.....I do like the idea of a second safety loop, as it appears to be no inconvenience and may save a body/ lens.
    Msmoto, mod
    @Pippigurl: Doesn't that safety strap 'wind up' if the camera rotates? I like the idea of a safety device, but that sounds like a faff.
    Always learning.