D300s mainboard being replaced

catfishcatfish Posts: 41Member
edited August 2013 in D300/D300s/D500
I recently had a sliver of an SDHC card break off in the card slot on my D300s. The sliver was very small and unnoticeable on the card. I went to swap/rotate my card with another and as I put it in the slot and pushed down to latch it i felt a small snap. Needless to say the card sliver got pushed down into the pins and latch assembly at the base of the card slot and messed it up. Sent it to Nikon got the quote back for I believe he said mainboard which makes sense since that card slot is mounted on the mainboard. The damages will be $236.50 which I thought was a bargain, my brain was thinking $500-$700. At any rate my question is: has anyone ever had Nikon replace the mainboard and if so will pretty much all the electronic alignments such as focus, metering, and so on have to be performed? That would be great to have all that adjusted and the camera cleaned and checked out for $236. Anyone have any ideas?
Post edited by catfish on
“Sometimes I arrive just when God's ready to have somone click the shutter.”
― Ansel Adams

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Usually Nikon will clean the camera after any repair, beyond that I doubt they will adjust anything.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @catfish: When I took both my bodies to Nikon, they performed a complete check of its functionality. In fact, without me noticing anything wrong with my D4 grip, the tech did and he replaced it. But just to make sure, I would simply ask them to check the body, fully, to make sure everything is in order while they are doing the repair.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • catfishcatfish Posts: 41Member
    Thanks Golf... for the tip, I just thought that any electronic adjustments would have their values saved in memory, but since the base memory is being replaced maybe they'd run the whole thing through the alignment process at least those affected by new parts. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.
    ― Ansel Adams
    Well I got my D300s back from Nikon, they replaced the mainboard, the power board, all of the grips, aligned the auto-focus and metering, and cleaned the sensor and body. Turned it on after putting the battery and SD and CF cards back in it worked fine. Camera really looked brand new, however after putting the strap back on and putting a lens on I went to turn it on and the camera is totally dead. The top display doesn't display the memory cards when off, and absolutely nothing happens when I turn it on, on either display, the memory card light does not come on when I swap the memory card It did work when I first unwrapped it. I tried it with no lens, different lens, different batteries, battery grip with battery and camera battery, battery grip only battery, AA batteries only in the grip, all to no avail. I guess it's back to Nikon. anybody have any ideas something I may have overlooked? Any experiences with returning a camera to their service department, beside for a dirty sensor? Do they pick up the shipping charges and expedite the work order, any ideas. I am so disappointed I had plans for this weekend this just sucks. I have no idea why they replaced the power board, I didn't know that I had any problems with power, just the SD card slot had a foreign object in it. I know they broke it on purpose because of what I've been saying here about the D400 ha ha
    ― Ansel Adams
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2013
    That sucks. :( It's never a good feeling to get something fixed, only to send it back.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    About 1 hour ago I looked at it and noticed the top display was working so I was tinkering around with it changed the battery out a few times put the grip on it everything was working fine. I started putting all my settings back into the camera and then took the lens cap off to take a picture and it went dead, So obviously the lens cap is shorted. Now it's teasing me.
    ― Ansel Adams