Free licenses for DxO FilmPack 3 Essential

AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
edited September 2013 in General Discussions
DxO FilmPack 3 Essential edition is free until October 31 courtesy of a Sony promotion.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/sony

DxO FilmPack emulates major films from Kodak, Fuji, etc. So if you've been missing that TriX 400 look, this film pack may be worth trying out.

DxO FilmPack is available for Windows and Mac, and works as a plugin for Aperture, Lightroom or Photoshop.

The newer DxO FilmPack 4 is also available at a discount from the same link.

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Cool link Ade, thanks.
    Always learning.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Thanks very much Ade!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Just curious, I have no idea what this is- are these presets for Lightroom or Photoshop to emulate films?

Thanks.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2013
    Just curious, I have no idea what this is- are these presets for Lightroom or Photoshop to emulate films?

Thanks.
    Yes, it filters made to simulate film, via plug-ins for Photoshop, Lightroom and Aperture.
    DxO FilmPack is available for Windows and Mac, and works as a plugin for Aperture, Lightroom or Photoshop.
    ^ In the second to last paragraph of the OP's post.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • fredfred Posts: 23Member
    Anybody know if this is just a trial version where it wil expire after 30 days and will require you to buy a non trial one?
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Fred: I installed, and it does not seem to be. It required an activation code. One of the code pieces was 'gift', but it didn't say anything about being temporary in nature.
  • fredfred Posts: 23Member
    @shawnino Thank you for the reply, I thought I saw 30 days trial on the fine print but was unable to read it again since I already entered the code. Once installed I wasnt able to find any info regarding a trial so I hope as what you said its not just a trial =)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    IIRC it is a non-upgradeable version - may even be a stripped down version - but I expect they are on the verge of releasing a new version and gave this away to pique peoples interest in it.
    Always learning.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Hi all,

The DxO FilmPack comes in two editions: Essential and Expert, and two version (3 and 4).

The free license being offered is for the Essential edition, version 3. This is a permanent license which wont expire.

From the same link, you can also get a trial 31-day license for the new version 4 (Essential or Expert edition).

As you might expect, the "Expert" edition has more film emulations, more filter effects, more customization sliders, etc.

If you signed up for the free Version 3 Essential license, but haven't received it yet, be sure to check your SPAM mailbox for the email instructions.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    edited September 2013
    I clicked on the link, entered my email, and downloaded the program. All that went fine but the required license code is not sent to me via email. I tried two different email addresses and no, it is not in my spam file. Has anyone else had this problem?

EDIT UPDATE: I emailed DxO and received a prompt reply with the required code.
    Post edited by Beso on
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2013
    No issues here. The email came titled "The DxO Labs Team" within short order.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I didn't get the code. I tried and I kinda sorta like it but I'm stuck liking NIK more. In my presets I already have similar film effects I found some at presetheaven dot com
  • felinoramafelinorama Posts: 1Member
    Thanks for the info. Installed and working but only as standalone or aperture plugin, not lightroom plugin.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    The plugin installed fine with my Lightroom 5 but I've heard of install issues with 5.2. (I've subsequently updated to 5.2 and the plugin still works fine).

If the plugin didn't install, I think you can manually set it as an "Additional External Editor" in Lightroom:

From Lightroom, go to the Preferences menu > External Editing tab. Under the "Additional External Editor" section, create a new preset from an existing one. Then change the Application entry by clicking on the "Choose" button and select DxO FilmPack from the Applications folder. Set the file format to your liking (e.g. TIFF, ProPhoto RGB, 16-bits, 240 dpi, no compression). Ensure that the "Stack With Original" checkbox is selected (should already be selected by default).

Close the Preferences menu and you should now be able to select DxO FilmPack (from the Photo > Edit In menu or by right-clicking on a picture).