Who is trying to cheat us (the customers)?

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited September 2013 in General Discussions
I just checked out the new Nikon AW1, and I am flabbergasted by how much it is here in Europe...

Why would anyone order this camera in Europe, when it is perfectly possible to buy it from Amazon US USD300 cheaper? USD796 in the US, EUR799 (USD1078) in Germany, and GBP749 (USD1200) in the UK!!!

These price differences are just STUPID.

You could possibly buy a plane ticket, travel to NY, pick up the camera at B&H, fly back, and still save money...

Is it Nikon or Amazon in Germany and/or the UK that is trying to cheat us? And do not say taxes now, because even at the highest import taxes, without any "import discount", the camera will only cost USD955 in Germany (796*1.2)...
Post edited by Killerbob on

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    US prices are always lower, not sure why you are surprised.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I am not surprised of the lower prices, but rather the size of the difference. I think it is shameful how big they are.

It is not usually like that. I got my D800 a few months ago, and it was actually cheaper in Denmark/Greenland than anywhere else. Even cheaper than the US (not counting various discounts).
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @Killerbob: I agree...the price difference is unacceptable...at the moment. Maybe it is best to wait a bit to see if the price come more inline.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    I am in NY over Christmas and I can't wait to go "shop-amok" at B&H, or other places you fine folks can guide me to:)

On the list is the filter for the 14-24mm, the AW1, and perhaps other things I am absolutely in desperate need of, but don't know about right now:)
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I have found the 80-400 G for less than the U.S. in Japan (when it is in stock).

In defense of international pricing schemes, I sell industrial camera systems, and they are much cheaper to sell in the U.S. than in much of Europe or even Canada. So my prices are higher due to my costs. Blame all the people in line with their hands out between the producer and the end user: in the U.S. there are relatively few. Also blame the time and paperwork involved with getting products into the EU.

Even when I import from overseas, my costs are often lower than the manufacturers who try to sell in their own countries. One of my products is made in Japan and I reckon I sell it for less than the Japanese do in the U.S., although it would be a 20% more to re-export to Europe.

I think that my experience should not apply to consumer cameras, but maybe it does.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Symphotic If we buy from Japan do we still get the US warranty or would we have to send it to Japan to be worked on if needed. If we send it in with our camera to be calibrated to the body would Nikon USA do it. Or would you know. Just asking. I want a 80-400mm.
    Nikon USA, like most subsidiaries will not work on international (gray market) items, even under the 1 year world wide warranty.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    edited September 2013

Is it Nikon or Amazon in Germany and/or the UK that is trying to cheat us? And do not say taxes now, because even at the highest import taxes, without any "import discount", the camera will only cost USD955 in Germany (796*1.2)...
    You have to keep in mind that the prices in the USA are advertised as net prices whereby the prices in Germany are advertised incl. VAT.

So if you come to NYC, buy the camera and announce it at the German Zoll then calculation looks like this:

USD796 Purchase Price plus 10% NYS and Local Sales tax=USD 875.60 on credit card (let's ignore usage fees for using card abroad). Sales tax is not refundable. USD 875.60 equals EUR 648.59 with today's exchange rate. When importing in Germany you should :)) announce it at the Zoll and you would pay 19% which brings the price to Eur 771.83.
    That' s a EUR 27.18 difference. You'll pay more for parking in front of Adorama or B&H or the taxi to get there (not quite, but it sounds good).
    Post edited by Benji2505 on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Killerbob coming to NYC. Recommend B&H Photo and Adorama. Allocate lots of time to browse and bring a credit card with a large spending limit. :D =D>
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Now that I know I'll go to the US over Christmas, I hopefully won't be too impatient and buy any high prized items the next months. The savings in pushing shopping until then are worth the tickets and more.

When traveling home from the US I'll go via Iceland back to Greenland, where we do not have any sales tax. I was just using the above mentioned numbers as examples. However, hopefully no one in their right mind would declare a camera when returning to Europe, and hence the items really are a lot cheaper in the US.

I still wonder though who adds to the price in Europe? Is it differential prizing from Nikon, or is it Amazon?
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    Symphotic If we buy from Japan do we still get the US warranty or would we have to send it to Japan to be worked on if needed. If we send it in with our camera to be calibrated to the body would Nikon USA do it. Or would you know. Just asking. I want a 80-400mm.
    No US warranty. You get the 1 year international warranty, which I am pretty sure Nikon will honor if you made a legitimate overseas purchase, but you need your Japanese receipt to demonstrate it is not gray market. That means you would want to buy it while you are physically in Japan. PB_PM is quite right: I wouldn't expect Nikon US to work on a gray market item. If someone in the US buys an imported camera system from another channel without going through me, they get no warranty support from me unless the principal pays me for my time at my highest service rates.

The Nikon US warranty is longer than the international warranty. I have used Nikon's warranty service on several occasions and they have been very good to me, I suggest you buy your 80 to 400 here in the U.S. if you live here. That's what I did.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    Warranty is always the recurring theme when discussing buying things abroad, and I can tell you, that in my experience, an overrated one.

I have purchased plenty of gear (camera, computer, HiFi, household, etc.) in the Far East, in America, and in Europe, and if/when something has broken down, always had it fixed by the manufacturer. Having worked in litigation I may have the upper hand in most of these discussions, but if you have a receipt from a certified Nikon dealer in Tokyo, Nikon US is obligated to deliver on the Nikon warranty stated on your Nikon warranty card in the box!
    Nikon Canada and USA will flatly refuse to fix lenses with each other's serial numbers, warranty or not. If I walked into the Nikon depot here in Vancouver with a USA serial number lens (unless I was an NPS member), they would turn me away and say to take the lens across the boarder. I guess if you have the time and money for litigation making them do it could work, but since a civil suite costs about 30k minimum, it isn't worth it.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited September 2013
    That's not correct.

Nikon Canada will fix lenses purchased abroad (with appropriate receipt) under the baseline 1-year international warranty service. Nikon USA will fix lenses purchased in Canada under the same policy.

Nikon Canada will not, however, offer service for Nikon digital cameras purchased outside of Canada.
    Post edited by Ade on
    As for the free service etc. on DSLRs you may be right, but if it breaks they are obligated to fix it under warranty. I purchased a Nikon 105mm in China, and with the receipt and stamped warranty proof, I was able to get full service on this lens in Denmark - no problem whatsoever.

The 1-year warranty is international and I wish one day someone would refuse me service, as I know I would win the following argument. I once had an Apple-certified reseller refuse me a replacement TimeCapsule under AppleCare. I discussed with him for 5 minutes, turned around and while in the store called up Apple. The Apple representative asked to get the reseller on the phone, and after 2 minutes of oneway talk, I got a new TimeCapsule and walked away.

And litigation is often the right title and the right persistence, and then it does not cost 30K...
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Thanks everyone, I'll keep saving and buy it here in the states. Just makes it simple.
    edited September 2013
    That's not correct.

Nikon Canada will fix lenses purchased abroad (with appropriate receipt) under the baseline 1-year international warranty service. Nikon USA will fix lenses purchased in Canada under the same policy.

Nikon Canada will not, however, offer service for Nikon digital cameras purchased outside of Canada.
    I've seen them do it, while I was in the service centre, I'm not making this up. Now maybe there were reasons why, such as limited time/parts, or the person not being NPS, I don't know.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited September 2013
    Well they were wrong, or there might have been other circumstances.

"Nikon Canadian Service Warranty - 35mm/DX LENSES

Nikon 35mm/DX Lens products sold in Canada have a warranty which is honoured by Nikon Canada offices, this warranty is supported by Nikon offices outside of Canada for 1 year. Nikon 35mm/DX Lens products sold outside of Canada also have warranties for 1 year and are supported in Canada."

https://help.nikon.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/14065/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzgwMDM2OTIyL3NpZC83TEFmTzdCbA==

This policy also applies to Speedlights.
    Post edited by Ade on
    Well they were wrong, or there might have been other circumstances.
    I'm not saying it is right or wrong, just that it happened! It's possible that it was an issue with parts availability or something like that. I didn't sit there and listen to the entire conversation, I was dealing with my own gear.