Chasing Ice (Documentary, James Balog)

obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
edited August 2013 in General Discussions
I was watching 'Chasing Ice' for a second time last night and the thought occurred to me that I hadn't seen any mention of it on NRF. So, when I did a search and got zero results I thought I should let you all know about it.

In a nutshell, James Balog (photographer, founder of the EIS among other things) uses all Nikon gear (and lots of it) to create unbelievable timelapses of glacier melt around the world to put the affects of global warming into perspective. I highly recommend it if, for no other reason, than to see the photography and work they go through to capture the photos. I think it is an amazing documentary and absolutely love the photography, technical and cinematography aspects of it.
D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II

Comments

• Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    I saw it on NatGeo and it is a good documentary. The pictures were better than the time lapses imho.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Everybody at our places thinks chasing ice is a powerful movie. We use the same time lapse gear and do some by non-Nikon gear and the way it is done in Chasing Ice is way better. Time Lapse though establishes a crucial time frame for the rapid recession of the ice sheets. in our opinion (and we have ice time lapse on the Internet) the time lapse in Chasing Ice is wonderfully done, was done at more risk and cost than many will ever realize, and does underscore the huge changes our planet currently faces. Just one of many examples is that a trip back into Denalia National Park is absolutely amazing today. In TEN years many of these vast sweeping vistas will be blocked from view by brush growing along the roads into the park. With loss of permafrost vegetation will flourish and grand views will be quickly lost. Many villages in Alaska have had to be moved repeatedly as foundations caved in, etc. Chasing Ice is a GREAT movie!
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited September 2013
    JBGearShot

Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    We got another copy on NetFlix and it was GREAT!
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I found the movie both powerful and reasonably well done. I appreciate @obajoba posting this thread and bringing the documentary to my attention.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Indeed a powerful film. Those poor D200's sure took a beating to get those images!
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited September 2013
    When it comes to stuff like our effect on the planet, the only thing we can be sure of is that we don't know. The 'experts' have been wrong more than right, and soon they are going to do the weather girl trick of spending as much time telling us about the weather we had today as they do about tomorrows forecast (guess). The guesses about the future have now covered all the bases so somebody will be hailed as the super-scientist who knew what would happen. [-(

Live in the moment! :D
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    When it comes to stuff like our effect on the planet, the only thing we can be sure of is that we don't know. The 'experts' have been wrong more than right, and soon they are going to do the weather girl trick of spending as much time telling us about the weather we had today as they do about tomorrows forecast (guess). The guesses about the future have now covered all the bases so somebody will be hailed as the super-scientist who knew what would happen. [-(

Live in the moment! :D
    Maybe so but I have yet to hear a credible argument supporting fouling our own nest.

I spent my entire professional career as an environmentalist (not an environmental extremist). I think it is always wise to try to leave the places you use, inhabit, and visit a little bit better than you found them. Unfortunately humanity is moving in the wrong direction on so many levels for so many reasons. Ultimately nature will correct the misdeeds of mankind but most likely it will not be in a benign manner.

Occasionally a decent image ...
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2013
    The earth will be around in a million years .. there may even be life on the surface then. but humans and most of the current living species will be long gone. the question is will we still be here for the next 1000 years? 200? 100 years? or are you too short sighted to think past your lifetime.

http://www.upworthy.com/some-strange-things-are-happening-to-astronauts-returning-to-earth?g=2
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    You don't shit where you eat. And we're shitting all over the place. Live in the moment? That's exactly what mankind has been doing for the last millennia and it's what got us in this plight in the first place.

I'd really like to see this movie.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Ladies and gents, lets not turn this into a political tit-for-tat. Hence, the topic will be closed should it become more argumentative.

Despite the message in the movie...this topic was mostly to bring our attention in the gear used in the movie. I wonder if any of our member have ever put their modern gear threw such hard condition shooting in the wild.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    There is no tit for tat so far.. its all generic angst at our plight which is justified.. there has been no personal attacks yet.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited September 2013
    The problem many seem to have with guesses, even educated guesses/predictions, is that some of it may be inaccurate/wrong. However, in this case even if 10% was wrong people dismiss the issue.. not seeming to realize that the 90% that is right means extinction for the human race.

• kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    Well, the metaphysical and philosophical issues non withstanding - I saw the trailer on apple trailers once and was like, whoaa!!, need to see this! The photography seemed beautiful (judging from the trailer) and with the equipment he obviously used... D200s by the dozen! :-D
    The movie is actually very beautiful. It is also scary! I have been an environmental scientist for years and have been very well known for not being an extremist. But just the sheer proof of increasing CO 2 levels is irrefutable. Trust me I would LOVE to be wrong. I have followed fish populations for years. We seem to be able to extinct the great ones and get replacements which are ugly and inedible, often almost poisonous. Ice is on a decrease and the atmosphere is heading towards a change which we have not seen. The Nikon D200 and other cameras in this movie are well used and unbelievably tested. It is a movie which though which is very unsettling. One opening buyline is VERY important. Docurama: Everything else is just fiction! Think about this. I think to close the thread because of political bickering would be a huge mistake. In fact the US Supreme Court ruled that visualization is in the photographer's mind. The quest James Balog embarked on was more trying to make a difference in our planet's future and less about photography. So this is a very important movie but let's not divorce it from it's need to educate and try for improvement.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    The problem many seem to have with guesses, even educated guesses/predictions, is that some of it may be inaccurate/wrong. However, in this case even if 10% was wrong people dismiss the issue.. not seeming to realize that the 90% that is right means extinction for the human race.
    There was a lot more than 10% wrong with the AGW "science" including massively cooked data and lots of prevarication..

And when the AGW fabrications were exposed then global warming became climate change.. Which is funny considering the climate has been changing on the earth since its creation.

And as a total percentage of the atmosphere manmade CO2 is a whopping 0.28%.

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html

And climate change isn't going to kill off humans. My vote is a virus (think of a variant of Ebola) will do that.

Denver Shooter
    edited September 2013
    :-) looks like I was wrong its 95% not 90%
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/what-95-certainty-warming-means-scientists.

Just curious, what makes you think climate change wont kill off the human race?

Actually the human race is pretty resilient.. however the best case scenario is global suffering by 50 years.. the worst case scenario is global annihilation of the whole Eco system ie no more life on earth (think mars) .. where do you sit in this range ? just think what happened to the world economy when 3000 people died when the world trade centre was brought down. think what happened when the volcanoes erupted.. if these minor issues caused so much problems try multiplying that by 100 or 1000.. or do you think that we should be able to adapt to the warming waters like a frog being "warmed".

Look we probably will be able to survive as a species a global cataclysm like what happened 70 million years ago. It would probably only take 2-3 thousand years (at the most 10thousand years) to recover to where we are now. seriously I really don't care( nikon abandoned my D400!) .. I have had a good life. In 50 years when the shit hits the fan I probably wont be here anyway.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    We can discuss the issues of global warming or cooling on some other forum.
    Msmoto, mod
This discussion has been closed.