Fuji to introduce the world’s first ‘Digital Split Image’ display for manual focusing

PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
edited January 2013 in Other Manufacturers
It's interesting how we are going back to "old" technology years after everyone switched to AF:

Enhanced manual focus performance with the world’s first ‘Digital Split Image’ display
Making use of the built-in phase detection pixels for AF action, the X100S is the world’s first camera to offer a “Digital Split Image” feature, which displays dual images on the left and right to be lined up for manual focusing. This enables accurate focusing especially when working with an open aperture or macro shooting.
In addition, the X100S offers a handy Focus Peak Highlight function, which emphasises the outline of the subject focus plane. It provides the photographer with a guide, even in situations where it is difficult to calculate focusing accuracy, allowing users to enjoy manual focusing comfortably, however challenging the conditions.

Read more at PhotoRumors
admin | nikonrumors.com
Tagged:

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I suspect the X Pro-1 will follow suite. And as the issues of focus are continually improved on the mirrorless camera bodies, we are drawing closer to the point of no return in the transition to mirrorless pro camera bodies.

It is going to be very interesting to see how Nikon, as the leader in the transition to SLR in the late 1950's manages this challenge. I just hope the descendants of the future thinking Nikon folks back then are working at again setting the standard.
    Msmoto, mod
  • soapsoap Posts: 28Member
    Unfortunately Nikon would need another mount. The Nikon 1's throat diameter is more than sufficient to do DX-sized mirrorless, but rather tight for FX-sized mirrorless. I'm curious what their long-term mirrorless transition roadmap looks like.
    edited January 2013
    @ soap

Can you explain why the mirrorless body require more size than a mirror body? Or why the sensor would not be in an identical relationship to the lens on either body?
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited January 2013
    Can you explain why the mirrorless body require more size than a mirror body? Or why the sensor would not be in an identical relationship to the lens on either body?
    I didn't say mirrorless needs more size than mirrored. F-mount is less-than-ideal for mirrorless because of its registration distance. It forces retrofocus lens designs on any lens wider than the flange:focal. Any mirrorless using F-mount can not be nearly as small as a mirrorless using a lens mount which does not carry the legacy baggage of the flapping mirror.

The "Nikon 1" mount has a narrower throat diameter than the F mount. This means that very large rear-element lenses are not possible. The 50 f/1.2 is already constrained by the F-mount and would be moreso on the "1" mount. The image circle demands of a full frame sensor will see this impact while crop sensors likely won't.

That's why I said Nikon needs a third (fourth to be pedantic) mount - their most recent one is not future proof.

EDIT: The Nikon 1 has a throat of 40mm and a registration distance (flange focal) of 17mm. The Nikon F has a throat of 44mm (shared optical and electrical path) and registration distance of 46.5mm. This forces, even in non-retrofocus lenses, a nearly 3cm thickness penalty on a F-mount mirrorless.

Post edited by soap on
    edited January 2013
    Ah, yes, the current lens mount is designed to accommodate a mirror and thus forces the retro focus lenses ot be rather large. A mirrorless body would be able to accommodate non-retro focus, but this would have to be mounted closer to the sensor plane and would thus create a problem for all the "F" mount lenses as they would be too close without an adapter. I actually never gave that much thought.... Good point.

My guess is, Nikon will have a new mount, yet is will accommodate all the old lenses as on the V1, with the adapter.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited January 2013
    Yes, so long as they go larger throat and shorter registration distance they can make a passive adapter - which is why Nikon works on Canon but not vise versa. I just think some of us were hopeful that Nikon would have made a more future-proof 1 mount and in doing so shown that FF mirrorlesss was in their roadmap. Obviously the lack of such a mount doesn't mean it isn't in their roadmap, it just means they haven't tipped their hand yet. Also note my edit above made while you were likely typing.

EDIT: To be pedantic the throat need not be larger, but its size needs to be large enough - how large depending on the ratio of registration distances.
    Post edited by soap on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    At last - the possibility to manually focus quickly. Bring it on, I can't wait! I hope Nikon offer retro fitting kits for 'old' cameras like the D7000 ;)
    Always learning.
    At last - the possibility to manually focus quickly. Bring it on, I can't wait! I hope Nikon offer retro fitting kits for 'old' cameras like the D7000 ;)

Making use of the built-in phase detection pixels for AF action,

Sadly that means no retrofit for the D7000.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Sadly - I don't see Nikon will have anything to do with this.

For Fuji fans (like me) I love the idea. I love rangefinders but $5,000 for a M9 that I would just use for personal stuff it too steep to justify. Something in the X-pro range I could easily justify that one, and with the glass, use it for years. I would love to slap my Zeiss 50mm f2 zm on a fuji and actually use it. Current options are way too slow for practical shooting with a high rate of success.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • podpersonpodperson Posts: 1Member
    The Fuji X family has focus by wire, which is not going to be a great match for split prism unless it's very low latency (the review i just skimmed for confirmation that the x series is focus by wire also complains of very long travel, i.e . you need to turn a lot of times to adjust focus).

This just doesn't sound well thought out. I'd love to see split prisms back in DSLRs.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2013
    should this thread be renamed or include X100S ?

it is iteresting, Fuji claim tThe X100S has the ability to capture high resolution images, comparable to those taken on full-frame sensors

but which full frame ? if it comes close the IQ of a D800 I am in the market for one
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @sevencrossing - it may come to the IQ of D800 but only after Fuji opens its software for 3rd party. as for now, You can't get the juice out of Fuji RAW neither in Aperture nor LR.

@peter - the new x100s specs look really nice.... if only the software work... :)
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    @sevencrossing - it may come to the IQ of D800 but only after Fuji opens its software for 3rd party. as for now, You can't get the juice out of Fuji RAW neither in Aperture nor LR.

Thanks Adam
    I was completely unaware of that
    love NRF for snippets like this
  • MikeFrewerMikeFrewer Posts: 51Member
    Sorry for posting in here. But I couldn't find anywhere else being another manufacturer.
    Does anyone have any advice for a "handbag/walkround camera for my wife. She has been looking at a Fuji x-e1, and she also likes the look of the brown leather retro cover for it. I was just wondering which lens would be suitable for an everyday camera.

Sorry mods if this is in the wrong section, but really needed some advice.
    @ MikeFrewer

You may start a thread on "handbag" cameras. Mine is the Olympus E-PL2 I obtained from Ritz at closing....for $200. Great "handbag" camera although in banging around I cracked the rear cover.

When Fuji comes through with a super fast focusing system, and maybe the Digital Split Image will be part of this, then we will have a really nice "HB" camera.
    Msmoto, mod