Focus Screens

paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
edited October 2013 in D3/D4/D5
As anybody changed their Focus Screen from the original one. It's a road I have not travelled, I would be interested in any comments to the advantages I appreciate that not all camera bodies allow for this, but for those that do { I thinking D3} as it improved or helped focusing in any particular area.
Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    You can change the focus screen in any Nikon body, it's just that Nikon doesn't make alternative screens for all the cameras. Katzeye focusing screens (split-prim) seem to be the most popular ones out there. Never done it myself, because I think they are ridiculously overpriced, but they are said to work well.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Shame Nikon don't offer the facility as I would love to be able to manually focus under some circumstances with more certainty.
    Always learning.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Thanks PB_PM I checked their website but they do not list the D3, I see what you mean about cost.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Most likely no D3 products because Nikon makes alternative screens for the D3.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2013
    I have a Katzeye Focusing screen .. I got it for my D200 Clone the S5pro.
    I got it mainly for use with my manual lenses specifically the 50mm F1.4 AIS. old 200 F3.5 and also for Macro with the 150 F2.8 Macro sigma.

Yes for manual focusing its such a joy to use ! and with Macro where you cant AF at all its just great to have that Microprism Ring snap clear when its in focus as you move in and out to get the focus. Even for autofocusing its good to have visual confirmation that the part you want to be in focus is in focus. Works best with wide aperture lenses.. with the lenses F5.6 or above, its a bit frustrating as you need to get your eye right in the centre or parts of the Microprism Ring goes black.

There is no impact on AF but there is some impact on metering. I think center spot metering goes a tiny bit wonky but I never use that mode anyway .. i either use matrix or Center weighted and those are fine.

If the D400 ever arrives I will probably get a Katzeye for it.

Ask them about the D3 screens.. they are quite responsive to their customers..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Many Thanks heartyfisher for your input, As PB_PM says, Nikon do supply screens for the D3 but not sure whether they do a Microprism spllt screen, which you used to see on medium format cameras. I have some manual lenses and as age and eye deterioration happens, anything that can help is always worth looking at.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    On my original F bodies I had full ground glass. On my D4, the screen works extremely well for me, being able to focus the 24mm f/3.5 PC-E Nikkor in very dark conditions. I could not really see what I was focusing, but the image area where I focused just seemed to pop into focus. An example....
    Red Oak 2 09.03.13 REV
    Understand, there were no lights at all. These are done in post. And, the exposure of 20 seconds, f/13, ISO 400 gives one an idea as to the darkness. I have never used split image, fractured image (micro prism split) or any other type of focusing, but then I focused 11" x 14" view cameras in low light as well. Maybe it is just some technique I have learned, as in some venues I could not see the image well at all.
    Msmoto, mod
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    I have a Katzeye in my D7000 and it isn't bad. It is a nice addition for manual focus work but I still check with the AF confirm since it tends to be more accurate.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited October 2013
    Like Msmoto I had diffident screens ( and different view finders ) for My Fs but don see the need for them on a D800, although an eye level waste level view finder would be nice
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited October 2013
    I thought they came with eye-level viewfinders as standard seven... :D . I gather you mean waist level?

I got a pretty good rotatable 1X-2X right-angled viewfinder off ebay for £35 which works fine for the few times I use it.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Some of the Nikon F view finders which worked with the interchangeable screen

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/finders/finder3.htm

My favorites the DA 2 and DW4

I had a photomic heads, but rarely used them preferring a Weston V

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    For clarification...waist level viewfinder..... :))

Nikon F Waistlevel Finder 07.011.13-2
    Msmoto, mod