V1 Tamron 200-500mm - ISO 800 and ISO 320

TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
edited January 2013 in Nikon 1
Geese waiting for flock to return to pond near dusk. Nikon 1 V1, FT-1, Tamron 200 - 500mm @ 500mm / 35mm@1350mm / 1/320 / F6.3 ISO 800 using tripod.

Here is another at ISO 320 taken with Nikon 1 V1 using Nikon 300mm AF-S lens at F4 35mm@810mm / ISO 320 / 1/2000 cropped and blown up 270 percent to 4,000 x 4,000 pixel.

Below Nikon 1 / V1 / FT1 / 300mm F4 AFS / ISO 320 Cropped and enlarged 171 percent to original size.

Post edited by TriShooter on

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Thanks for posting .. ( LOL sorry for reviving this old thread ) I have been playing with my newly acquired V1 and its a fun kit. Just poking around to see what others have posted about it :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    edited November 2013
    @heartyfisher

Delighted to see you looking at the images. I love the V1 for many reasons. The only two things missing for me are a remote flash trigger for my big lights. Take a look at this portrait shot of a lovely brown eyed model from earlier this year with the V1 at ISO 1600 with available light in the evening at Legends Cafe in Atlanta, WITH a manual focus Nikon 85mm f/1.4 ED that I bought in NYC from 47th Street Photo in 1982 to use with my Nikon FM.

ISO 1600 which this was shot at is great for smoothing the skin tones in shooting figure models, and portraits as well. People who think ISO 1600 on the V1 is unusable probably have not played with it enough. On a shot this close sharpness is not a challenge with good focus, noise is easy to deal with, and it actually saves time in post processing if the exposure is dead on.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=687703414591428&l=9f25a79bc3
    Post edited by TriShooter on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Thanks for posting. Really good pictures, impressive results from the V1.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2014
    @TriShooter I did photo-shoots with ISO 1600 also for that reason, but you have more to play with if you don't and use ISO 100, but the Nikon 1 V1 is a lot of fun and that ISO gives you a lot more possibilities. It is still difficult for me to shoot with the 70-200mm f/2.8 (540mm) hand held. You do a great job with the 300mm f/4.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
    @Ton Thanks for your comments, and the compliment Ton. I work pretty hard at getting good shots, and have been doing more portraits, boudoir, events, and figure shooting which has the redeeming quality of working with nice people, and sharp models with the downside of spending more time on editing. I still say to heck with it all, and head into the woods when I can do it because it is exciting for me. I think the excitement of not knowing what is going to happen is makes it more, and it is not work related.

I see the guys are now discussing the merits of the new V3 versus various other alternatives. The CX format has some great features for shooting wildlife, but especially no shutter vibration, its larger depth of field. I absolutely love mine, and use them as frequently as I do the D700, and D800. Whenever possible I do use a tripod with a gimbal head for wildlife.

The wide angle zoom lens Nikon makes is a killer lens, for night shots, and inside churches, and the like. What some of the guys who do not shoot V1 do not understand that is that the Nikon wide angle zoom with VR lets me take great shots in low light because ISO 320 is akin to me shooting at ISO 2400 on still subjects with the D800. I agree with them generally that Nikon does put a high price on the product, but these little cameras do take mighty good pictures for the people that have taken the time to learn how to use them.
  • dougjgreendougjgreen Posts: 21Member
    TriShooter, can I ask, are you using the Tamron 200-500mm lens in AF mode, and if you are, what revision of firmware is on your FT1 adapter?

I'm really trying to get a sense of what 3rd party lenses have working AF on the FT1 after the FT1 firmware has been upgraded beyond 1.0.
    2dougjgreen

Nikon lenses like the 300mm F4 af-s are the safest bet; the af-s lenses allow full auto-focus, and all camera functions to work on the FT-1. Tamron 200-500mm is manual focus only, and manual metering on the Nikon 1 cameras, and Tamron seldom updates their firmware meaning if you find one that might work today, it may not after an FT-1 firmware update. Tamron lenses are generally incompatible with the Nikon 1 system, and Tamron seems to ignore the existence of the FT-1.

Sigma HMS lenses are the next best choice after Nikon because they do upgrade the firmware on their current lenses, and have also done it for many older lenses. Sigma's sells an accessory that enables the user to upgrade firmware which is smart thinking on their part.

Nikon has a new zoom for Nikon 1 coming out at the end of this month that goes to 810mm on the long end which will take advantage of the Nikon 1 focusing system worth looking at as well. I have no hands on experience with this lens, but been very impressed with the 32mm, and their wide angle lens with VR.