Epic Destruction or Celebrated Survival

DanDan Posts: 6Member
edited January 2013 in General Discussions
Unfortunately many of us will never cover an event like the Tour De France on the motorcycle or photograph penguins in the sub-zero artic. I’ve always wondered how far one can push the equipment before failure.

I myself will likely never push my equipment to right edge, not that I can afford to or have the level of photography that would get me “invited” to, but it be nice to know how much it can take. So, here’s a space for your stories of triumphs and tribulation in the almighty face of gravity and Mother Nature.

I’ve been caught in a 10 minute downpour shooting an outdoor event with my old D2Xs and a 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 with no cover. I kept the camera at my side away from the driving rain when I didn't need to shoot. I finished the event but my luck didn’t end there as I slipped on mud running away and dropped the camera on asphalt from about 4ft on to its head (pentaprism). Other than suffering some scratches on the top of the camera and the lens hood, everything survived! :)

Comments

• mk2popmk2pop Posts: 80Member
    Ive had quite a few surprises when it comes to water on cameras, i drowned my D40 many years ago on a water ride in universal studios, got off took the lens off poured out all water from both and left them in the apartment for a day, quick clean and put it back together all was well, and it still works to this day

just 2 days ago while hiking i was caught in a massive 1 hour downpour with my D90 and 100-300 f4, no cover or bag it just had to hang by my side, all is well and not a hint of trouble, not bad for a non wathersealed body
    D300 | D90 | D40 | F65 x2 | F75 | 10-24mm | 18-200mm | 35mm f1.8 | 50mm 1.4d | 40mm Micro | 70-300mm Tamron | 100-300mm f4 Sigma |1.4x Sigma tc | Sb400 | Sb900 x2

Awaiting a DX D400
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I may never buy used again. Caveat Emptor eh? @-)
    Always learning.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Actually, just got back from the penguins in the sub-zero. Other than a quick snow-squall which rattled my nerves, and one rogue wave on a Zodiac, I never feared for my D90 and D800E nor lenses. They behaved like absolute champs. Batteries did drain more quickly than normal, I guess that's standard in the cold, but the bodies and glass came back none the worse for wear. Nikon gear plenty tough.
  • friedmudfriedmud Posts: 14Member
    edited January 2013
    I was shooting with my Canon XSi on the Oregon coast in a driving mist... and ended up destroying the shutter. Here's one of the last photos I got before the shutter went belly up:

http://500px.com/photo/12478597

Shutter replacement was $250...

After that I decided to upgrade to weatherproof gear and haven't had a problem since. Just the other day I was skiing in a snow shower at about 10 degrees F with my D600 and 50mm f/1.8G (with a B&W UV filter on the front of course!) around my neck. I accumulated quite a bit of snow on the camera and lens... But got some great shots of my family skiing! Camera and lens are both working fine :-)
    Post edited by friedmud on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Weather survival isn't that hard for modern DSLRs, and in many ways weather sealing is a marketing ploy. I wouldn't leave an entry level DSLR sitting in the rain, but I wouldn't expect it to die in a light drizzle. Every DSLR I've owned has been exposed to rain, snow and temps below 0ºC (D80, D300 & D700) and none of them are any worse for ware.

Each has had a share of drops and bumps along the way as well. The D80 (which I gave to my Dad) survived a hit, when I sat it on the passenger seat of my car and it hit the dash, after a sudden stop (from 100KMH / 60MPH to 0). I've dropped my D700 a few times when changing lenses, no problems seem to have befallen it as a result.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    I was shooting during the rainforest, in ocean, in himalayas, on desert and in many different places and never had a problem with my gear related to powers of nature. it all worked well, and I don't use any protective gear (maybe except of using a trash bag on desert / beach as sand is killing the equipment).
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Water for the D4 is not such a problem as in a light rain. The problem is in what is in the water....at the beach it is salt and sand... This summer we will be in Colorado, hopefully and possibly some will get to the Sand Dunes National Preserve....

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/national-parks/great-sand-dunes-national-park/

This can be windy, up to 40 mph winds, and the and may be flying. But, well worth the effort.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I will take rain and show over sand any day of the week and twice on Sunday. #-o
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I hate blowing dust like dirt. Sand as bad. I do carry a thinkTANK Hydrophobia® and use if needed. I spend several days in Alaska, this year, with it downpouring every hour and twice use it in 70+ mph winds in a gale. The camera stayed dry I was soaked to the bone. Good product.

framer