Nikon D610 RAW files and Adobe

dhunt81dhunt81 Posts: 2Member
edited October 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I picked up the Nikon D610 this weekend and am anxious to get out and start using it. I have a wedding this weekend and want to use this as my primary body, shooting in RAW. Adobe doesn't seem to support the D610 yet in their 8.2 ACR. Does anyone know when or how long it will be until Adobe would support the new RAW files? Are we talking weeks, months? Does anyone have a suggestion how I should process the RAW files outside Adobe without messing with the EXIF files or creating more hassle for me in the future?

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2013
    Your right, it could be days, weeks or months. How would any of us know, we don't work for Adobe...

If you want no hassle, use Nikon's software, it usually gets updated before a camera even ships.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited October 2013
    I would think look at this Nikon Support Site to see if they have what you need.

According to Nikon ( just called them) the new version on ViewNX 2 (2.8.1) and Capture NX 2 (2.4.4) have full support for D610.
    Hi Ali,

Thank you for contacting Nikon.

The D610 is compatible with our latest versions of our Nikon software.

Below I have attached a link to our latest version of our View NX 2 software. This link contains instructions on how to download and install the software.

View NX 2.8.1 - https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18678

Capture NX 2.4.4 - https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18642

Your Reference number is 131021-001661.

Best Regards

Eric F.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • dhunt81dhunt81 Posts: 2Member
    Thanks for the responses. I figured I'd have to use Nikon's software for the mean time, I just can't do much in terms of editing like I can in Adobe's software. I hope Adobe is quick in their update.
  • JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
    Thanks for the responses. I figured I'd have to use Nikon's software for the mean time, I just can't do much in terms of editing like I can in Adobe's software. I hope Adobe is quick in their update.
    You would be surprised about the edition capacities of Nikon Capture NX2.
    I've heared from a lot of people that it offers a lot of good, useful options and that it's very useful.
    Sometimes slightly worse then LightRoom, sometimes on par and sometimes better.
    (Also: The image profiles (landscape, neutral, standard,...) are exactly the same as your camera's as opposed to Adobe's approximation)
    So you might want to give it a try if you're going to be doing commercial (or other important) work.
    (Does Capture NX 2 have a trial version?)
    Otherwise use the Nikon software to export to 16bit tiff and process these in Lightroom.

Just for completeness sake... I use LightRoom 4 and have never actually worked with Capture NX2 but looked into its options when Adobe went to the cloud subscription model.
  • In LR import as DNG for the time being.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!