Lightzone... opinions?

shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
edited October 2013 in Other Manufacturers
Anybody have any recent experience with this? Tangentially referenced here three years ago in old forum:
http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=748

...but if it's the same outfit it appears their m.o. has changed: three years ago there was a fee, but as LR has come down in price, Lightzone has gone free open-source.

I know, no links, but a google for a .org site will get the curious where they need to go. Failing that, it's on Wikipedia.

I use LR4 and after some catalogue dramas whilst moving over from LR3 (which makes me terrified of LR5...), and my general growing dislike of Adobe, I'm always looking for alternatives.

Comments

• BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    @shawnino - Keeping you options open is always advisable and competition is virtually always good for the consumer. I recently converted from Lightroom 4 to 5 without a hitch.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Yes, I was curious about this too!

Has anyone used it before?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2013
    So let me guess, you use Internet Explorer rather than Chrome or Firefox. After all, those browsers are based on open source software. I love how people diss things they have never even looked at.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Well, this is it. Two-plus years ago I dumped Microsoft Office for Open Office, and have never given even a passing thought to going back. LR is indeed cheaper than it used to be, but if Lightzone can do the business, it's bye-bye Adobe for me.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    =)) That is funny!
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2013
    At work I use whatever the company provides sometimes they provide only open source most times its a mixture. For my own use I am fully open source(everything from OS to all my software and software development) I find it much more stable and safe and faster and also faster to use. I have not used Lightzone although I know of it. Have all I need so far, may have a look at Lightzone if I feel curious. Having said that .. if you are more productive with a certain software open source or not go for it ..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Super software and the oldest, you needed the zone system in the doka the get the right print. 7 years ago the program was expensive, now for free.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Super software and the oldest, you needed the zone system in the doka the get the right print. 7 years ago the program was expensive, now for free.
    What is a doka?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    It's our camera gear. Worth a bunch of doka.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2013
    Sorry NSXTypeR, most of the times I think in Dutch, my fault.

Doka is "donkere kamer" , dark room in English.
    In our photoclub many years ago, a member made some hardware to measure the grey scales by the zone system for the kind of paper you used. Now you do it digital.

In Lightzone you have 16 bars of greyscale to get the black- and white point correct and the midtones. In Lightroom it is all in the basic panel. In Lightzone you can make many selections very easy to work on. Look at some video's on internet.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!