Need 1x1 Aspect Ratio for my D-800

LetsMeetTVShowLetsMeetTVShow Posts: 1Member
edited December 2012 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Nikon user’s need a 1 x 1 Aspect ratio cropping
in the view finder [not in post].When is this firmware coming out.I need it in my D-800 now. If not I'm sending it back to where
I bought it. It’s been long needed by camera consumers.All bridge cameras have this important feature built in, why not Nikon's
flagship? Most of the photographs you see on the Internet social sites are
square. My
Lets Meet TV Show needs distinctive look, need a square crop 1x1 in the view finder, consistent looking headshots with a tight
square picture frame look, not all over the place. Anyone have email
addresses or phone number at Nikon. We need to persuade them for new firmware. I'm going to have two thousand headshots taken
daily at all my locations nationwide. Far too costly for post-production and
the photographs would be consistent looking either.

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited December 2012
    You know, I can smell something.  Something meaty, not sure what ... Oh, I know, It's SPAM!!!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I thought I had posted here....in any case...square format is not going to happen...never heard anyone ever want this.
    Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    5x4 is almost square :-P
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member

What I posted on the old forum...

"Nice suggestion actually and now thet I think about it I would like for their cameras to have a functiodn for it... I have always used lightroom in post though and If you can put your subject in the same place on the grid in the viewfinder the batch process isn't horribly bad... Also considering that is supposed to be a alternative for those who are too poor to go into medium format digital it isn't a bad idea...

By the way we just moved forums so you should probably repost at http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussions (is that link ok?)"

I will admit to doing 1x1 from time to time as I like the format. Many equate 1:1 format with instagram/instamatic or poloroid but Medium format cameras have long had square format images. On that Note I dont see why Nikon doesn't just allow a pre cropping function where the user puts in the format. We have people who want a 1.1 (fx), 1.2, 1.3, 1.5(dx), & 2.1 crops at 16x9, 3x4, 2x3, and square...  It seems like a rather minor firmware update would fix that and mabye a 2nd focusing screen option (instead of a grid which I am preplexed how that is turned on and off mechanically) one with marks of different formats...

“To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • Mac_The_KnifeMac_The_Knife Posts: 19Member
    I don't understand why he didn't buy a piece of equipment that would do what he needs in the first place.
    D70s
    D90
    Mamiya 60
    My suspicion is Nikon does things on the basis of consumer demand.  And, the demand for a square format is not that frequent.  I agree, it would seem this could be a simple software change, especially as the 1.2 crop factor format is there already, but the demand for a square is not there.  

I wonder if one were to use a mask on the sensor if this would produce a lower file size.  And if done by a professional camera repair person could generate a square image ready for post processing crop in batch mode.
    Msmoto, mod
  • CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    edited December 2012
    Assuming that you make a living using the camera(s) I would suggest to look into becoming a NPS (Nikon Professional Service) member. This might get you better contacts at Nikon. Don't ask me about details, I only know NPS does exist, but I have never been a member myself.

As you wrote about multiple studios around the country you might also ask your photographers to contact Nikon tech support with this issue (multiple independent voices). And get into contact with other studios to ask them to do the same thing.

I doubt that anyone here has got secret numbers/email addresses of Nikon managers. And if one did he/she would not publish them in a forum...
    Post edited by Correlli on
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Petapixel just put up an article on aspect ratio...   Msmoto is most likely right
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    Here are a few bonafide nikon emails in japan which look older but scored a 100 percent on a one second search: 

;TriShooter
    What is this for?
    Msmoto, mod
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2012
    I have a KatzEye Focusing screen for my D200 clone(S5Pro), its great. You can get grid lines for almost anything you want. They will even custom make one for you (at a cost of course) .. check them out ...

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--Grid-Lines-Crop-Guides--gridlines.html

Once you have the photos you can batch process them automatically into 1x1 easily..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• DutchNikonDutchNikon Posts: 6Member

>>When is this firmware coming out.I need it in my D-800 now. If not I'm sending it back to where
    I bought it. It’s been long needed by camera consumers.All bridge cameras have this important feature built in, why not Nikon's,  Most of the photographs you see on the Internet social sites are
    square.<<

MM Ok , send it back, and tell  the seller that you need a D800- like $3000,- camera with a high res sensor and semi pro-specs for  shooting facebook pictures that need to be square..:-)

Srry, please forgive me, can't help my self.. this post makes me smile bigtime  since, i can not imagine myself spending that much money  on  a camera to shoot facebook spec images which can be done with any P&S camera..

:-) .. Did you hear about the guy who gave the a 1 star review and returned the Nikon F6 he bought cos it didn't have live view and used cartridges. ?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Richard_MRichard_M Posts: 2Member
    I hadn't seen this F6 review but, like buying a D800 to shoot Facebook mugshots, it show there will always be people with more money than sense. You would have thought if you were spending that much money that you would have researched your purchase. Since when is the D800 a bridge camera?

Although I suppose it is still post-processing, you can produce a 1:1 aspect ratio JPEG image in camera using the trim function. You can even adjust the frame position to make sure the head is centred ...
    @ Peter...this is hilarious...  maybe just a joke?  

There is a story about a lumberjack who bought a chain saw after the store keeper told him how it would really increase his speed at felling trees.  The next week it was returned and the lumberjack said it was slower than the axe.

The retailer went out back with the lumberjack to test it, and immediately after starting it up the lumberjack says, "what is that noise?"
    Msmoto, mod
    edited December 2012
    Oh one more thing to the OP.. It cant be a firmware update to get a 1:1 crop ratio cos there needs to be hardware changes to the screen to show the viewfinder grid lines you want.. so it will be impossible for a firmware update to give you the 1:1 aspect ratios that is viewable in the viewfinder.   However, I guess if you use live view only that would be possible. but, I really doubt that nikon will do that.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If the OP is doing such a massive number of head and shoulders portraits, surely he would simply make an action or preset to take the ends off a normal aspect ratio shot after setting up the camera in landscape?  With a prime lens at a consistent distance from the subject and putting the centre focus point on the subjects face, the pictures all these thousands of portraits could be processed in a blink.

The lack of any response to anything in this thread by the OP makes me think I was right when I smelt spam...
    Always learning.
    Actually, maybe the OP used to be a lumberjack.....
    Msmoto, mod