My next camera ?

petersvppetersvp Posts: 8Member
edited November 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I am fortunate to own a D3X and D3S (both reliable workhorses that have given me no problems and to which I am much attached!) However, I value a good pixel count and keeping up to date, so now that I have funds to upgrade one camera what should I consider doing next? Should I go for the D800 (to replace the D3X) or the D4 to get a few more pixels and other improvements from the D3S or wait for a possible D4X or D5, if such a camera is produced? Or should I just wait and see as any improvements might be minimal? I am an amateur photographer with interests in all fields except portraits. Forum members wise advice and opinions would be appreciated as I have no idea where Nikon might be going next in its high-end DSLR kit. Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I would wait until the next generation - so the D5 assuming you don't mind the size. If you want serious resolution, then go with the D800 now.

My camera cycle was F80 (I bought it in Japan, the N80 is the same camera), various Pentax Optios, Coolpix A and then the D800. I considered the D700 generation the first time digital approached film in quality, then I waited one more generation for Nikon to work out the bugs and I feel that the D800 is the first 35mm DSLR that is obviously better than film (so much debate could be had over this simple statement - I still play records on my Linn). My F80 got a lot of use while I was waiting and people were looking at me strangely this time last year.

My next camera will be when Nikon gets reasonably close to offering something like a Leica, which will give me my "Pocket Camera" (Coolpix A), "Street Camera" (Neica) and my "Premium Camera" (D800). I imagine that in 3 or 4 years, a serious upgrade to the D800 will come out. I will then wait until the next serious upgrade for that one to happen (say 9 years from now) and buy that one (The D800-2022?).

My strategy, and the point that I am making to you, is that upgrading to the next generation is not worth the money unless you are a gadget freak with an appropriate budget. My problem is that I have "gadget freak tendancies" and have controlled those by limiting myself to a $200 per month camera budget, which means a decent lens every three years, a decent camera every three years and a decent accessory bundle every three years (next year is the 200mm F4 Macro, Gitzo Explorer tripod, and RS1 flash set for the Macro lens, the year after that is a top of the line Eizo monitor, and then if the Neica is not available a year after that, a lens.

It sucks being poor, but if you are not and can afford to upgrade a D4/5 etc every generation, then go for it. Just make sure that you are not starving your lens and accessories. A good rule of thumb is spend 1/3 for each of camera, lens and accessories - fricken cards add up you know and scrimping on a bag puts your entire investment at risk.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    apart from minor mpx bump and remote control over ipad you ain't gonna get too much new thing from the d4, so I would upgrade the d3x and sell it, when you still can get some money for it. personally, I'm using the same combo: d3s + d800 and I'm more than happy with it.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Petersvp, are you a photojournalist or sports photographer. Some kind of other action photographer?
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    If, as you write, your interests are that broad, I'd argue that both the current D800/E and the D4 will each take 97+% of the images you need. Which means you're looking for the last 3% or less. Which is fine. And neither of them will grab all that 3%, which is the way it goes. So it boils down to, in my mind...

--If you'd rather have 10 fps and best-of-the-best low light capability, D4.
    --If you'd rather have 36 MP D800/E.

The D800/E feels more versatile to me (the low-light is still quite good, and one still gets 4-ish FPS) but of course that's the one I chose for myself so there's bias there. Take a look at @msmoto's shot near the end of the thread about the DF camera being released next week. ISO 10,000+ on the D4 is absolutely sick--now of course she's an accomplished tog, but for all I know, you might be too.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @petersvp

IMHO, I would wait for the next generation of the D800. I suspect they will improve this and totally eliminate the AA filter as on the D7100. As Adam suggested, sell the D3x and hang onto the D3s once the "new D800(E)" without the AA filter comes along. There is no need to get a D4 at this time as I do not think it is a great improvement over a D3s.

And, welcome to NRF….
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Not a D4 or D800 owner but my suggestion is to sell that D3X and buy the D800(E). When the D4 replacement comes out then sell that D3S.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @petersvp: First welcome to our forum.

As you can see you are getting a lot input from our members...lets us hope that we can guide you in the right direction. For me to provide you with a reasonable response, as well as those other to follow, would please let us know a little more about your style of photography, gear (lenses you own) and if budget constraints are an issue. Moreover, if you have some image that you can share with us, it will come in handy.

Cheers...
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • petersvppetersvp Posts: 8Member
    Thanks to everyone for your really helpful comments and advice. Your time and effort is much appreciated. I am not a photojournalist (re question above), just a keen amateur (now retired) with an interest in landscapes/seascapes (hence D3X) bird/wildlife and also macro photography (hence D3S). I have both some Nikon prime and zoom lenses e.g. Macro 105 and 200mm, 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200, 300 and 600mm and two tilt-shifts. Budget constraints currently allow for one new camera (D4 price or less). I do need something rugged for landscape work and weight is not an issue - yet! I will try and post some pictures shortly. Thanks again.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited November 2013
    ...just a keen amateur (now retired) with an interest in landscapes/seascapes....... I do need something rugged for landscape work and weight is not an issue - .
    You sound like me . get the D800 a brilliant camera for seascapes, you will be blown away by the resolution, colour fidelity and dynamic range

the only big difference the D800s replacement is like to have is better fps

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I'm with Adamz, sell the D3X while it is still worth something and get a D800. D3x are still going for $3k so it would be very little cost other than batteries and you would get a big bump and be updated.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @petersvp: Thanks for the response. My recommendation given your intend usage is the: D800e within the current Nikon line up. The D4 has some advantage over your current D3's but I personally do not feel that the added features will address your desired needs. I would get the battery grip to go with your D800e so that the feel of it is more appealing to you, given the bodies you own. I, too, agree with selling your D3x and using the funds in getting the D800e.

Best wishes....
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Its almost Unanimous, Axe the D3x... Unless you are a nut like me (I would go crazy with 36mpx, I enjoy my 16) the D800 is ahead of the curve and should suit you.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @shawnino - "--If you'd rather have 10 fps and best-of-the-best low light capability, D4..." - if you want the best low light capabilities, get d3s... which you already have - due to larger cells in D3s it is slightly better at high iso than d4 - check the dxo
  • petersvppetersvp Posts: 8Member
    Many thanks again for all your thoughts and advice. D800 is ordered and on the way. I will be interested to see the advantages.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I remember when the D4 first came out, Joe McNally was the guy that Nikon hired to push it. I remember in an interview he was asked about using the D800 instead of the D4, but following the corporate line of the flagship, he sort of made up some kind of bad answer saying it was the camera that he really always wanted. I remember thinking to myself, he will come to see the power of the Dark Side. A year later I see some video of him working a photo shoot and .... he's suddenly using a D800.
    Saw a video of Mr. Mcnally today on Nikon's site. He's now shooting a Df. Go figure. :)

• BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I remember when the D4 first came out, Joe McNally was the guy that Nikon hired to push it. I remember in an interview he was asked about using the D800 instead of the D4, but following the corporate line of the flagship, he sort of made up some kind of bad answer saying it was the camera that he really always wanted. I remember thinking to myself, he will come to see the power of the Dark Side. A year later I see some video of him working a photo shoot and .... he's suddenly using a D800.
    Saw a video of Mr. Mcnally today on Nikon's site. He's now shooting a Df. Go figure. :)

It's all about who and what is lining your pocket today. :)
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    @adamz: you had me... until you brought up DxO :)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

I believe Mr.McNally said they let him use it, not that he owns one.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • SanookSanook Posts: 66Member
    edited July 2014
    Post edited by Sanook on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited November 2013
    IMHO, I would wait for the next generation

that is a never ending scenario
    because, once the next generation comes out, you have wait for the issues to be sorted
    then wait again incase Sony or Canon bring out something better
    the D800 & D800E are brilliant cameras, very few people who own will disagree with me
    don't delay buy one today

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, my suggestion was the philosophy from a Nikon rep about a year and a half before the D4…..he said, wait for the D4 then you have the latest for the longest…… but, as noted, the newer bodies seem to have some issues.

And, it is always for me a matter of urgency. I suspect I will grab the next generation of D800 with total absence of an AA filter unless the D400 arrives with the same features and better ISO, etc.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Msmoto said:
    And, it is always for me a matter of urgency. I suspect I will grab the next generation of D800 with total absence of an AA filter unless the D400 arrives with the same features and better ISO, etc.

Regarding the D400....You are dreaming. :D
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |