Is this old lead lens safe?

luigi454luigi454 Posts: 13Member
edited November 2013 in Nikon Lenses
I'm interested in the Nikon 28mm f1/1.4 lens. However I herd it was discontinued because it has lead in it. I'm just wondering which part contains the lead and would it be safe to use?

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Isnt this like the most expensive lens ?

I think the lead is only an issue in the manufacture and disposal of the lense elements.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Lead is only poisonous to humans if ingested. Don't eat the lens or lick your fingers after handling and you'll be fine.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    What? Don't lick the lens? How the heck are you supposed to clean it? 8-}
    Always learning.
  • luigi454luigi454 Posts: 13Member
    my guess is that if there is lead actually present on the lense it'll be on some component inside or soldering inside?
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    my guess is that if there is lead actually present on the lense it'll be on some component inside or soldering inside?
    Its in the glass isn't it? I'm guessing the manufacture of such glass potentially leads to lead population.

Lead does increase the refractive index of glass, but also increases the dispersion which means that a lens using leaded glass must have chromatic correction applied to be considered achromatic. People have been consuming beverages from leaded glass for centuries, so I wouldn't be particularly concerned. Yes, if you are in a plant that is manufacturing lead or leaded glass, you probably need to take precautions to prevent poisoning.

Bottom line, don't worry about it.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    edited November 2013
    I have been fishing since I was about 7 years old crimping split shot on the line with my teeth and I'm just fine. I am now over 60. LOL @-)
    Post edited by Parke1953 on
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I'm interested in the Nikon 28mm f1/1.4 lens. However I herd it was discontinued because it has lead in it. I'm just wondering which part contains the lead and would it be safe to use?
    Like Ironheart said the lead is in the glass - if that is the case - first I have heard of that. Even if it does, You can lick it, eat it, even take it to bed with you and you will be just fine.

Around that time many manufacturing processes were changed that dealt with lead, but I have never heard that was the reason for such a short run of that lens - very well could be, but not because the Lens itself was dangerous. It was really expensive to produce then, and was a great lens - but also a very specialty lens that few could afford. If Nikon had to update it's process or shut down the manufacturing due to new regulations, it may have been cheaper to shut everything down.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    It's a pretty amazing lens. Now that you mention the lead those crystal drinking glasses I remember that people use to eat with pewter cutlery. Apparently it's totally safe unless you heat them up.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    It's a pretty amazing lens. Now that you mention the lead those crystal drinking glasses I remember that people use to eat with pewter cutlery. Apparently it's totally safe unless you heat them up.
    Leaded glass is safe, so is properly fired and glazed pottery (US or European production, Japan also has stringent standards). Pewter is OK for occasional brief contact. Do not store foods, particularly those with acid sauces (tomato etc.) in pewter, the lead will leach out into the food. A few years of this and you may buy Canon.

You would have to grind a lens and eat it to have a lead issue, it is completely encapsulated in the glass.

Regards ... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

Now lets see some pics!
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    If you are still interested in eating the lens, blendtec has a nice product that can help in grinding it. :P

The 24mm is a beautiful lens and like the rest said it shouldn't be viewed as a health hazard. Post pics in the PAD soon :D
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • DaveODaveO Posts: 12Member
    If you're worried about the lead in a lens, don't let anyone give you a lead crystal goblet or glass to drink out of at Thanksgiving. Especially wine!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited November 2013
    I used to carry a few airgun pellets in my mouth when I was a kid for quick reloading and that didn't do me any harm... 8-} :))

Say what? Explains what?
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @spraynpray

Thanks for your explanation…. :))
    Msmoto, mod