Snapshots to Great Shots? Funky D7100?

tiCreativeMediatiCreativeMedia Posts: 81Member
edited November 2013 in D90/D7x00
well, today was a BUST on shooting in manual mode. I followed that first chapter in First Shots to Great Shots as prescribed. Single dot focus setting didn't focus like I expected, or basically not at all and worse than my Olympus. Meter was jumping all over the place after I took a shot. Camera would adjust it's settings so that my next shot wasn't anything like the one before it. ugh. I can't understand why the exposure would change so drastically from one shot to the next. I would get a totally black shot right after one that was "ok".

So, are there manuals that sort of talk about the behavior of the camera? Does it sound correct or normal that the reading would jump like that? I also noticed that my shutter speed would be stuck on 6000 (or 8000, whatever max is) and it would take about a full minute for it to start working again. That has happened a few times.

I'm seriously wondering now if this camera is a lemon. I'm guessing I have a few weeks to figure that out, so I'll take the class next week and see if the instructor thinks the camera is nuts or if it's me.

dt

Post edited by Msmoto on
D7100, 35mm 1:1.8G, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED

Comments

• tiCreativeMediatiCreativeMedia Posts: 81Member
    So, to elaborate on the meter... I have set my ISO to what I prefer-let's say 200 for mid-day. I then set up for my shot. I read the exposure meter, decide on my aperture-say 7. I then adjust my shutter until the exposure meter is centered. Take the shot. As I take the shot, I can see all the numbers change wildly, so that I can't even make a second shot using something close to the same settings.
    D7100, 35mm 1:1.8G, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • HerreHerre Posts: 6Member
    And how have you set your metering? I have myD7100, on spotmetering and on single pointap AF(that I move around quite a lot). I assumeyou also have a D7100 and not a D1700...

Also why use M if you basically set your ISO, then your aperture and the manually change the shutterspeed until the camera tells you what the correct setting is. You may as well stick it in A mode and let the camera determine the setting.

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Sounds like a sick camera .. post a photo with the full EXIF data so we can see the settings you used.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Before you write it off as a lemon, you should try doing a two button reset. Press the two buttons that has two green dots on it and then give it a shot.

We also can't help you much if you don't tell us what camera model and lens you're using.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    His camera model and lenses are in his signature.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited November 2013
    It sounds like you might be stuck in bracketing mode. Does BKT appear on the display?
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    His camera model and lenses are in his signature.
    yep, and there's a typo on the sig line.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yesterday He said he was going out with the 35 on his D7100 so I assume that is the case.

It sounds like you have been playing with the settings a fair bit and left something on that you don't need Dave - Ironheart and NSXTypeR are prolly close so do that reset and check your display then let us know but do some snaps in Aperture or Shutter priority before going to Manual.
    Always learning.
    Ok I'll check out settings. I did a 2 button reset just the other day but will check settings. It does however seem to be getting stuck somehow. Yes I went out with the 35mm. Today is not a great day here so it may be tomorrow.

Thanks!
    Dave
    I think @ironheart may have hit it. BKT was on. I'm getting a little better behavior now just on my internal tests, although I'm still amazed at how very very different the exposure can be from one photo to the next. Looks like we got sun for now, so I think I'll head out and practice some more.

I'm shocked the two button reset didn't reset the bracketing. I expect you didn't hold the buttons down for long enough.
    Always learning.
    edited November 2013
    Glad we were able to get past that one :-) now if you have your metering mode set to spot as @Herre suggested above, you will see big exposure swings as you move that spot from shadow to brightness. I prefer matrix or center weighted metering myself, unless the situation calls for spot. If you shoot the same exact spot twice in a row, you should get the same exposure. Let us know (pics with EXIF data are worth 1000 posts BTW)

@s-n-p is correct. The two finger salute should have reset bracketing and metering. Try again please!
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    @spraynpray: I think probably what happened is I did a bracketed photo after that first reset because I was out shooting. I for some reason thought the bracketing just shut itself off if you didn't use it, but apparently that was a user error.

@ironheart: my metering is still set to default, which I believe is matrix? I think yesterday's shoot won't count, because bracketing was in fact on, so the wild swings may fix itself, as well as the shutter speed getting stuck on 8000 or 6000, whatever the highest is.

I think today I may drive down to the water and see what happens. Bringing both lenses and a tripod. I'm sure you'll hear from me after that! :\">
    Again, not intending to be rude Dave (and ignoring @squamish's emotional outbursts), I think you need to breathe and slow down. I am a bit like you in that I can shoot first and wonder what is going wrong after (that is why I called myself spraynpray) and I know everybody is different. However, as a minimum you do need to open the manual at the page that shows the display information and how to interpret the symbols that are displayed right there in front of your eyes. The symbol for bracketing is plain to see if you know what you are looking at, so take a moment and learn because if you don't remember to reset bracketing on any other feature that you set, you will make a lot of errors and miss a lot of shots. I try to look at my display and reset any settings that are not right before I get out of the car.
    Always learning.
    edited November 2013
    The first thing I did with both my Coolpix A and D800 was read the manual from cover to cover practicing every page. That probably took 100 hours and 3,000 shots, but it was worth it.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    The first thing I did with both my Coolpix A and D800 was read the manual from cover to cover practicing every page. That probably took 100 hours and 3,000 shots, but it was worth it.
    I wish my customers would do that!
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    @Synphonic, not everyone reads manuals just for fun!
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    jshickele said:

It's nice to see others that read the entire manual with the camera to learn the functions. It's one way to become a SME. (Subject Matter Expert). Good for you.

The number of people I have helped who have not read any part of the manual is huge. Even those that say they have read parts of the manual only cover the basic information and skip the rest. Once people realize it's a great reference manual to build on their knowledge.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I also read the D800/D800E Digital Field Guide by Dennis Thomas. It was quite good. Next I will read Nikon Speedlight Handbook by Stephanie Zettl and Creative Lighting System Digital Field Guide by Benjamin Edwards. After that I have about another dozen books and on various topics and 509 books in PDF form to choose from.

I am interested in all aspects of photography though my next lens investment will be the 200mm F4 Macro. Does anybody have any suggestions on books to read, Macro or otherwise?
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    edited November 2013
    I got my D7100 about 3 weeks ago. I may be an odd duck (very likely), but while I have only taken a few shots thus far, I have spent a portion of every evening with the manual and I'm almost 3/4's through it. At the same time, I'm also reading the Nikon D7100 Experience, by Douglas Klosterman. I've found his books offer even more than the manual does. My plan is to be finished by next weekend, when I can get out and do some real shooting.
    Post edited by rbrylawski on
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
    Yeah, I would say the learning curve is kind of steep, especially when you're trying to learn AF focus settings and when to optimally use it.

The type of shooting is kind of slow so I've been sort of lucky in that I can just use single point and have things work out ok. But if I were to shoot more action stuff I'd be in a bit over my head if I didn't read the manual.

I went from a D40 to a D7000. For the D40, it didn't really matter what I set, there's only 3 AF points to choose from anyway.

Don't even get me started on flash stuff.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Come on NSXTypeR...you got to share your flash comments. :D
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Whole new world, whole new language. I have another SB700 on its way to me as I write - looking forward to multi light CLS..
    Always learning.
    Come on NSXTypeR...you got to share your flash comments. :D
    Haha, other than fill flash, I really try to shoot everything with available light. So I have no tips for you. If my budget allows for it, I might get a SB700.

Seriously, all the settings make my head spin- rear curtain sync, front curtain sync... blah blah. :D
    It's a nice way to blow an hour experimenting with each option to determine and understand what works best for different photographs. Lots of options and as I grow older, I have to relearn some of them if I don't use them a lot. :((