Dear Advertisers...

AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
edited November 2013 in General Discussions
Ok like most people nowadays I normally don't notice banner ads, but one NRF ad caught my eye, not because its superb content or deep discounts but rather due to horrible posterization / banding:

I mean, non-photographers probably won't be bothered, but if you place an ad specifically targeting professional photographers, wouldn't it make sense to have top quality images?

In similar vein, I watched a broadcast TV news interview recently where the production quality was so low... full of moire, aliasing and audio issues, that I simply had to turn off the TV. I guess all the downsizing really has taken its toll on production quality.

(The chief piano technician at a nearby conservatory told me recently that he can't listen to the radio anymore since he notices all the out of tune instruments. So I guess it's a common issue.)

Have you been noticing quality problems everywhere?

Comments

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I used to own about $15,000 worth of audiophile equipment in the 90s. I could barely listen to CDs (they have the audio quality of a 2.5 megapixel camera). I found most popular music frustrating to listen to.

With photography, I can pick my own quality instead of relying on somebody else.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited November 2013
    My personal favorite ads on the site are the Canon ones that pop up from time to time.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I'm sure it not the picture but the advertiser concerned about bandwidth. They don't want their images to slow down the page loading.

They are compressed and optimized for smallest file size.

framer
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    That and likely a rather clumsy conversion of the source images to .GIF format to enable animation. This conversion to .GIF, if not done very carefully, will frequently produce banding -- a definite faux pas among photographers.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited November 2013
    There is an unbelievable amount of garbage in the images used today. And, for the most part, I suspect the client simply is unaware of this, either because some art director does not know a hole in the ground from….. …or financial constraints are dictating no budgets for images.

But, please look at the images on http://hondajet.honda.com. These are done about three miles from me…. not by me, but no doubt by a very first class photographer.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • There are two things I noticed. My daughter had a photo shoot by a well known Dutch photographer, he produced perfect photo's, but the prints in the magazine were garbage.

Most of the photo's I see on internet are a guick and (very) dirty job. I think we are going to see lots more in the future, photo's made by a 12mp phone and processed with PS touch.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I will say the photos in the ad at the top arent horrible, the compression is. I do agree with Msmoto because there are so many horrible images in use today it is not even funny.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Those are nice photos Msmoto of the Honda Jet.
    Totally agree, there is so much junk being used in today's ads.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |