Which Nikon VR lenses dont suck ...

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited November 2013 in Nikon Lenses
.. in air? ;-)

I know my 12-24 nikkor doesn't change size when I zoom or focus. But I was looking to see if there are any other nikkors that are the same especially VR lenses. I also know that the 70-200 F4 doesn't change volume.
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Do you mean ones that zoom internally or ones that are sealed at both ends?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Yeah .. zoom and focus internally like those 2 lenses I mentioned ..

I am going to shoot a colour run this coming weekend .. and was just thinking about it .. i will be taking my 2 lenses that dont suck :-) .. and just wondered if there are others ..

colour run video ..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited November 2013
    Off the top of my head, the 200-400mm F4 VR, 105mm VR and all the super telephoto primes. I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Oh gosh the colour run. A bunch of the people from the local camera club went out to that event last year, and their photos really messed with our heads until we found out what was going on. Make sure you have filters on your lenses!
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Go to this page:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Camera-Lenses/All-Lenses/index.page

Then in the filter header on top, where it says "Narrow By", click on "Key Features" and select both IF and VR. You can also narrow the selection by the Lens Format (DX, FX).
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    16-35 f/4 and 70-200 f/2.8.

I believe 14-24 is also fixed. But I don't think you want to take that to color run. :) I probably won't take any expensive ones to color runs.
    The front element of the 16-35mm F4, and 14-24mm F2.8, moves in and out while zooming.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    As does this extending 24-120mm that I'm presently getting to know, and appreciate.
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

The front element of the 16-35mm F4, and 14-24mm F2.8, moves in and out while zooming.
    Not the 16-35 f/4. Its front element stays fixed while zooming & focusing.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    edited November 2013
    On 16-35, well in theory yes. But the front element is on an inner tube where a filter on the fixed outer tube seals it.

Regarding 14-24, looks like you are correct. The front moves a little within the hood.
    Post edited by tc88 on
    Oh you're right, on the 16-35 the front element does move within the fixed tube under the filter. I didn't look closely enough.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I understand the idea behind this thread hearty, but I wonder if it 'works'. What I mean is that is your assumption is that air is recirculated when zooming/focusing in those lenses but we don't know that do we? Has Nikon designed in porting that moves air around like that or are there just more areas that suck and blow air to the outside world?

I think that answer is key and will be extremely hard to find out.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ heartyfisher

I would not worry about the camera, which may be so full of colored powder it is a disaster, but more about your lungs. The mess created by these color runs is a nightmare as it is difficult to clean up. I would suggest you Google "Color run health issues" and see what happens.

From a source I cannot find at present, I believe I remember someone who was photographing one of these color runs and the camera, a sealed pro unit, had color inside in spite of the sealing. Maybe shooting with a long lens …200mm or more, would work. Good luck.

A thread on focus breathing from the old forum might be useful:

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=19703

Msmoto, mod
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Also lens rental places will not honor color runs if you decide to rent and the equipment is full of colorful dust
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    I wouldn't tempt fate with a color run unless I used one of the aqua bags over my camera at the very least and a bandana or balaclava to cover my mouth/nose. Changing lenses? Forget about it. I would go with a lower end super zoom like the 18-200/300 so I wouldn't have to a) change lenses, b) worry about losing a *lot* of money, c) open my options for perspective.
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II

• haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Sounds like a good opportunity to break out the old film camera, every frame gets its own sensor.

Better yet a disposable camera.
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

Seriously thinking of grabbing an AW1 :-)

I wouldn't tempt fate with a color run unless I used one of the aqua bags over my camera at the very least and a bandana or balaclava to cover my mouth/nose. Changing lenses? Forget about it. I would go with a lower end super zoom like the 18-200/300 so I wouldn't have to a) change lenses, b) worry about losing a *lot* of money, c) open my options for perspective.
    Super zooms would be the worst i think .. . It sucks almost its own volume of air everytime you zoom ! The point of this thread is to find lenses that don't suck air.

@ heartyfisher

I would not worry about the camera, which may be so full of colored powder it is a disaster, but more about your lungs. The mess created by these color runs is a nightmare as it is difficult to clean up. I would suggest you Google "Color run health issues" and see what happens.

From a source I cannot find at present, I believe I remember someone who was photographing one of these color runs and the camera, a sealed pro unit, had color inside in spite of the sealing. Maybe shooting with a long lens …200mm or more, would work. Good luck.

A thread on focus breathing from the old forum might be useful:

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=19703

Focus breathing is unrelated to whether a lense changes volume.

Go to this page:

Then in the filter header on top, where it says "Narrow By", click on "Key Features" and select both IF and VR. You can also narrow the selection by the Lens Format (DX, FX).
    Did that .. still shows a lot of lenses that changes volume..

edited November 2013
    Oh gosh the colour run. A bunch of the people from the local camera club went out to that event last year, and their photos really messed with our heads until we found out what was going on. ...
    Curious and intrigued.. How so ? any examples ? how did they keep their gear safe ?

Post edited by heartyfisher on

Go to this page:

Did that .. still shows a lot of lenses that changes volume..
    Yea that was a mistake, as what you're asking is a list of "internal zoom" lenses, not "internal focusing" lenses. And the 16-35/4 discussed above shows a list of "constant length" zooms is also not sufficient.

Now, even an "internal zoom" lens will suck in some air during operation. Instead, you might want to consider using inexpensive waterproof bags (fully submersible) -- which are totally sealed -- such as those by DiCAPac, Aquapac, etc.
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member

Now, even an "internal zoom" lens will suck in some air during operation. Instead, you might want to consider using inexpensive waterproof bags (fully submersible) -- which are totally sealed -- such as those by DiCAPac, Aquapac, etc.
    This is what I was alluding to. Super zoom + waterproof bag = least risk IMO. No way am I subjecting one of my pro lenses to that craziness and I've even been known to hang off the back of a moving boat with no cover on my D4...

@heartyfisher - while I wasn't suggesting info about internal zoom lenses, I think I was at least still on topic. But, to be completely on topic, if I wasn't going to use the aforementioned option then I would probably go with a prime of some sort
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
    Yeah, I have a 16-35mm F4, so unless it was a custom design, I know
    Oh gosh the colour run. A bunch of the people from the local camera club went out to that event last year, and their photos really messed with our heads until we found out what was going on. ...
    Curious and intrigued.. How so ? any examples ? how did they keep their gear safe ?

I cannot point to their images, since I don't know if they are on flickr or not. As for gear, I believe they wrapped their stuff in plastic bags.

• TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I watched a color run from a distance (tempted to shoot it but... yeah, I didn't feel like blowing dust from my camera for the next year) and there was a guy shooting who used one of those cheaper underwater bags (similar like a DiCAPac WPS10 Waterproof Case) and I thought that was a hell of a good idea. It has it's limits though. Might be similar bags that would work better.

In dusty environments I have picked up some silicone rubber tape (usually in electricians department at home depot) and use ziplock bags "taped to my lens. Blow out the bottom of the bag, cut the "zip" off and extend the lens out and tape it in place. Bag then collapses as you zoom the lens back. If you try that, just make sure the tape doesn't react to the rubber on your lens. I gaffer's tape under where I'm going to use the silicone tape. Silicone tape fuses together (waterproof seal) and is like a really strong rubber band. Looks hideous, and you want to "practice" tapping your lens, but costs only a few bucks and works for one-offs.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...