Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 zoom anybody tried it?

Comments

• Sorry for the side bar: With this forum, how do you easily post images? I have eight 1.8 images that I converted from raw on the Sigma 18-35mm after I did -4 AF on the D7100 and also used the sigma dock to use -4 at 35mm and -2 at 18mm. What I found was that you need to shoot more than one shot because the first shot was not sharp but the second and beyond were sharp. Is that my camera or this lens? I'd love to just upload the shots but I don't see an upload button. Thanks for your help.
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    I must admit that for a camera forum, posting pictures is not the most user friendly. Please read the first post in this attached thread. It will walk you through how to post on NRF. I use Flickr to host my pics, then upload from there.

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/46/how-to-post-a-photo-on-photo-a-day/p1
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • Thank you rbrylawski for the link. I was going to post some photos but I don't wish to post anything on Flickr. I can follow the instructions but this is too much like work. This should be easier. Sorry.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    edited November 2013
    Depending where the pics are located, just click the tiny framed picture icon above where you type.
    See it there with green grass and blue sky? Third icon from the right.
    This should appear, < img src = " address here " / >
    Now just insert the address of the picture between the quotation marks, where the blinking pointer is...
    Post edited by ChasCS on
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Thank you rbrylawski for the link. I was going to post some photos but I don't wish to post anything on Flickr. I can follow the instructions but this is too much like work. This should be easier. Sorry.
    Just post your images where you normally put them on the web and in your message here paste the link.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    I don't wish to post anything on Flickr.
    You can upload a picture to your Flikr account and mark it as a private image. That way no one on Flikr can see your picture. Does that help you?
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited November 2013
    OK, one may past a URL from Nikon Image Space

http://img.gg/HZ9e75m

And, then folks can see the image if settings are correct on NIS.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Is anyone shooting with this lens yet? With one of the new 24mp DX sensors? If so, tell us your experience.

To me it looks like the best moderate zoom you can put on a D7100, D5300 or D3300 for the best IQ in its zoom range. I have not purchased one of those new 24mp DX bodies yet but they are on my list and this lens is the first one I would want to use with such a sensor. I am surprised if no one else here feels the same.
  • HvalHval Posts: 110Member
    edited January 2014
    I have recently purchased this lens and have tried it a couple of times in low light levels with my Nikon D300. I love it. It is a great lens.

When I get a chance I shall post some unedited images.
    Post edited by Hval on

Cheers,

Hval

Owner of an extremely high quality Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I feel the same Donald - that's why I started this thread! I'm trying out astro at the moment and it would sure come in handy for that. My main ask was for low light work in church but I got put off by the reports of poor focusing accuracy so I got the 17-55 2.8.

Would still like to get one if these focusing problems don't turn out to be a problem in the real world but I hear they are in low light which makes it useless to me.
    Always learning.
    edited January 2014
    If you look at the set on Flickr (link to a few photos below) you will see additional examples of photos from the Sigma 18-35mm lens. Any apparent faults with the lens are down to me and not the lens. No flash used.

Tried putting photos here. Unfortunately it didn't work. My apologies. Any way, link to set is: -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hval01/sets/72157639667900145/
    Post edited by Hval on

Cheers,

Hval

spraynpray,

I can't say that I noticed any focussing issues with my lens. With additional use I might do.

Cheers,

Hval

@Hval: Thanks for the link, the lens looks very good indeed. Shame there is no Exif data to examine!
    Always learning.
    spraynpray,

Apologies for not having exif data available. I suspect this must have something to do with the fact that I uploaded the photographs to Flickr from my iPad. I shall try again tonight.

Cheers,

Hval

@Donaldejose: Thanks for posting those two shots off Flickr - I'm unimpressed by them though. The knights in armour at f3.2 shot I struggle to find anything sharp and has quite a lot of CA, and the other - well, nothing is clear about that at all! I reckon any of my lenses could have beaten those results, the 17-55 would do so easily.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    This is a very strange zoom range, wide to mid-normal and only two times. It seems to me that the new 35mm 1.8G (FX, so right in the middle of this DX zoom range - 23mm in DX) would give superior optical performance and it is $200 cheaper on B&H.

That seems like a lot to give up and pay for the privilege of zooming from 23 to 18 (27%) or 23 to 35 (52%).
    edited January 2014
    Say whaaaat?

18-35 on DX is wide to normal (27-52) on FX. High quality zooms are ALWAYS restricted range. Not as much as this, but then it gets waaay better marks than other decent lenses.

As for "It seems to me that the new 35mm 1.8G (FX, so right in the middle of this DX zoom range - 23mm in DX) would give superior optical performance and it is $200 cheaper on B&H." You are going to have to explain that again? Whaaat? Who's talking about FX here? :-/
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    The objective is to obtain the best lens based on a variety of factors and I assume image quality is one factor that is important to people.

I am merely pointing out that there is a very serious alternative to this lens right in Nikon's own line that is an option for DX shooters.

Last I recall, FX lenses work on DX cameras....
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited January 2014
    Jshickele: sure but putting an FX 35mm lens on a DX body results in a 52.5 mm prime which is not "right down the middle" of the Sigma zoom's range we are talking about. Sure, you should get sharp results, but you will also get sharp results using Nikon's own 35mm f1.8 DX lens for about $200.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • clskeltonclskelton Posts: 31Member
    If Nikon made a 24mm 1.8G for $600 or less I would probably get that for my DX camera. But the 24mm 1.4G is $2,000 (too expensive for my use) and the 28mm 1.8G is not quite wide enough from 35mm to make much difference (for a DX camera). If others I read about have good experiences with this Sigma lens and Nikon doesn't make something comparable, then I'll probably pick one up.
    Jshickele: sure but putting an FX 35mm lens on a DX body results in a 52.5 mm prime which is not "right down the middle" of the Sigma zoom's range we are talking about. Sure, you should get sharp results, but you will also get sharp results using Nikon's own 35mm f1.8 DX lens for about $200.
    Whups Donaldejose!! You are right. Where did I go wrong? I was thinking about what the 18-35 would look like on FX (about 27-52). I forgot to consider that it does not work going the other way. User experience is valuable, as the fact that I have never owned a DX camera with interchangeable lens shows (my Coolpix A is DX, but that does not count).

The closest you can get with this strategy is the 20mm 2.8 (30 mm on DX) for a little less than $700.

So we save around $150 and 30mm is in the middle of 18 and 35, but closer to 35.

So I will make my original argument, but with the right numbers this time. The counter argument that 30 is too far from 18 is certainly more valid, however. And Sigma's choice of this "limited" focal range that they are doing at 1.8 makes a little more sense than it did before.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Whups Donaldejose!! You are right. Where did I go wrong? I was thinking about what the 18-35 would look like on FX (about 27-52). I forgot to consider that it does not work going the other way. User experience is valuable, as the fact that I have never owned a DX camera with interchangeable lens shows (my Coolpix A is DX, but that does not count).

The closest you can get with this strategy is the 20mm 2.8 (30 mm on DX) for a little less than $700.

So we save around $150 and 30mm is in the middle of 18 and 35, but closer to 35.

So I will make my original argument, but with the right numbers this time. The counter argument that 30 is too far from 18 is certainly more valid, however. And Sigma's choice of this "limited" focal range that they are doing at 1.8 makes a little more sense than it did before.
    Sigma basically gave us all the wide angle DX primes Nikon is either unwilling to make or too incompetent to make (probably the latter) in one glorious zoom that ends up cheaper for us in the long run.

I think Sigma hit a home run with this one. I always find myself running out of room to back up with the 35mm 1.8.

I'm not holding my breath any longer. Besides, in my kit I already have everything I need to shoot in my style. It's just slightly inconvenient for me if I need something wide and fast.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S