Elinchrom Deep Octa 100cm problem (unable to store after assembly)

JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
edited November 2013 in Other Manufacturers
Hi Everyone.

Some time ago, when one of my best friends had a baby, I decided to put my D800 to good use and embarked on a baby photography session with the studio strobes (Jinbei) and softboxes that I borrowed from a friend.
I fell in love with the soft light I could produce with a couple of softboxes.

So, after thinking about it for a long time, I decides to buy my own. (Yes, I guess that’s gear acquisition syndrome at work ;) ). Around that time Elinchrom launched their new “RX 4 to go” starter set with two 400 Ws strobes, two 66cm * 66cm softboxes , two supports for the strobes and a radio trigger; all priced at an entry level price. Having read a lot of good reviews about Elinchrom and about this set I decided to buy it.

The one thing I still wanted to add was a nice big octa to use as a very soft main light so I recently bought the Rotalux Deep Octa 100cm (and am very pleased with the quality of the diffuse yet focused light it produces).
(http://www.elinchrom.com/product/Rotalux-Softbox-Deep-Octa-100.html#content)

However, I am unable to fold it up after having assembled it (which I did according to the instructions in the manual).
Elinchrom’s website states “They are lightweight and unlike many other softboxes, fold down just like an umbrella and can be easily stored in the included carrying bag.” but I am unable to do this.
I assume that I have to remove the rod sockets from the speed ring but, because of the pressure caused by the rods, I am unable to do so. (The rod sockets are firmly held horizontally in the speed ring by the rods and the rods are too resilient to remove from the reflection cloth while the rod sockets remain in the horizontal position)
Does anyone have this product? If so, how do you get it to fold up like an umbrella?
I have looked at Elichrom’s website but I am unable to find a support email address. So here I am, looking for help.
Right now I takes up a lot of space and it's a nightmare to transport.
Tagged:

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have the Elinchrom D-Lite 4 units and find one has to bend the rod very carefully to get enough slick so as to remove the rod from the center ring. But, it appears in the instructions for the Rotalux one must rotate the umbrella around the ring somehow to get it to fold.

I actually use several square units stacked instead of the octo box.

And, I agree, the Elinchrom units produce a very nice soft light..
    Msmoto, mod
  • JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
    I have the Elinchrom D-Lite 4 units and find one has to bend the rod very carefully to get enough slick so as to remove the rod from the center ring. But, it appears in the instructions for the Rotalux one must rotate the umbrella around the ring somehow to get it to fold.
    Thanks.
    I seem to have missed the part about rotating the "umbrella" around the ring in order to get it to fold.
    Actually, I didn't find any part in the manual about how to collaps it what so ever.
    Perhaps I have overlooked something. I will definately have a look during the weekend.
    (When I have more time look at it properly.)
    Could you provide a link and/or page reference? (The Rotalux manuals are all available on the Elinchrom website)
    Perhaps the info is in some but not all rotalux manuals; depending on type.

Anyway, I will definately give your suggestion a try.

If anyone else has some good suggestions then feel free to share.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited November 2013
    All softboxes are very stiff when new, which makes them hard to fold down.

Try this with the speed ring on the floor (octa facing up):

1. With the palm of your hand, press down on the rod close to the socket, to relieve tension on the socket from the rod bending up. You will need to hold down the speed ring with your other hand to keep it from flipping.

2. Now with your fingers, you can slide the socket out, and let it rotate upwards to the vertical position

3. Remove the rod, and repeat steps 1-3

They key part in #1 is to counter the upwards pressure from the rod with your hand, so the socket can be pulled out and up. With a new softbox you may need a bit of extra pressure, but it does get easier & quicker over time.
    Post edited by Ade on
  • JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
    Hi Ade,

I tried your advice this weekend and it seems to work.
    I haven't been able to get it to collapse just yet but I did get a lot more freedom of movement.
    I'll allow the rods some more time to set and then I'll try again.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Hi John, I found this Rotalux video on YouTube which may be helpful. It's in Swedish but they did a good job demonstrating. (But they make it look easy because they're not using a new soft box).

(The folding section starts at 1m43 into the video).