Traveling from Socal (Los Angeles Area) to NorCal (San Francisco area)

BlckcatBlckcat Posts: 12Member
edited November 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I'm going to take I-5 up to San Francisco. (I might take PCH down back home though)
I just thought instead of having a party with my buddies this b-day this saturday (Nov 30), I thought I'd have some unique experience by traveling alone.
Since I'm traveling alone, I thought I could stop by places and take photo shoot of landscape and such.
Can anyone recommend me a good places on my way to San Francisco?
Also, is there any pre-caution you would advise?
Last time, I felt a little dangerous pulling aside from highway on my way to las vegas to shoot stars in the middle of desert.
Thanks!!

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @Blckcat: Take the 5 north to the 101N and make your first stop @ San Luis Obispo via the 1. Visit the old Mission their and take a few shot. In fact, stop by the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery and see the wildlife in action. You will be very close to them. From their take the 1 North and make your way to Hearst Castle. The route on 1 will be slow and very windy, so keep your eye on the road. Their are plenty of place to stop and take some very nice landscape shots. Keep going till you hit Big Sur. Amazing place to take picture of the California Condors above you...not to mentions the big Sequoia (redwood trees). Next stop: Monterey Peninsula and Carmel. Oooh boy...just drive buddy and you will see what suits your eye...their is beauty abound. At this time, daylight will be and issue so do what you can unless you want to spend the night before you head out to SF.

Happy trails and looking forward in seeing some images on PAD.

Cheers...
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    The 5 takes 6 hours but is as dull as it gets. The 101 is very picturesque but will take 9 hours or so straight drive through. Golf has a fantastic list to go by. Wander. I do plenty of that here in socal and I find all sorts of stuff.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    We did this going North to south about five years ago in early summer. Great trip and Golf is right, pay attention to the road, it curves all over the place. I had my wife looking for good photo shots and it worked fine. We actually took a few breaks along the road so I could recover. It's hard on the driver, especially late afternoon.

But the photo opportunities are all over the place. Be sure to have a spare battery and lots of memory cards or a large card...you will need it.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |