Where to get large prints?

aquarian_lightaquarian_light Posts: 135Member
edited February 2013 in General Discussions
Hey, search didn't come up with anything, so here it goes. Where does everyone get larger prints made? As in say 19"x24" plus. I haven't the recourses to get a printer that can print that large, but I really really love the impact of my images poster sized of my walls. Before I just went to my local print shop but spend near 100 bucks for a poster sized print. Any reputable online places that can do such prints for less possibly?
(bit of info, I shoot a D800E for portraits, landscapes, architecture. Hate not to waste all those pixels on measly 8x10s.)
D800E, 24-120 F4 VR, 50mm 1.8G, 85 1.8G, 28mm 3.5, 135mm 3.5
Tagged:

Comments

• studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    A&I, Burbank, CA [aandi.com]. I would choose the Durst Lambda (laser) Type-C prints. Reasonably priced--pro lab.
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    edited February 2013
    Make sure to prep your files accordingly, since resolution is printer-dependent. The two most popular laser/LED Type-C printers are the Durst Lambda and the OCE Lightjet:

Durst Lambda: 200 or 400ppi
    Lightjet: 300ppi

Double-check with your service bureau/lab before prepping your files for output.
    Post edited by studio460 on
  • aquarian_lightaquarian_light Posts: 135Member
    Hmm... the A&I website isn't the most clear about their process. I don't even see where the laser printing is listed. They seem to have an HP mixed media printer, but the rest is inkjet.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    Mpix is a good one.
  • safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    +1 on Mpix, just used it for prints and canvas. Nothing but good things to say about them., a better option that WHCC in my opinion.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Here is the results from a post at Improve Photography -
    http://improvephotography.com/7756/test-results-best-online-print-lab/

I haven't tried any of these services - yet. But I'm about to, once I finish up some editing.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi,

I get 20"x30" prints from Costco for $9. They are great at viewing distance, about 2 times the diagonal or about 3 feet from the photo, with plenty of detail.

They aren't in the same league as hand made chemical prints that are 8x10" made with fine optics that might cost 8 times the price, but most consumers wouldn't notice. At viewing distance, they might as well be fine art prints.

It depends upon your use. You can get the ICC printing profile and get 9 bucks and a Costco card, I'd try it out. I get them all the time for lobby displays for a theater group, and they look terrific.

My best,

Mike

Mike-
    hmmm.... that is certainly something to consider. I'll be using them for my personal studio as way to.... well.... impress clients. Having such large prints up on my walls I find helps make clients more confident that I am competent lol
    Dissent-
    Why does it seem that nobody directly posts their print prices >.>
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi aquarian_light,

I'd certainly go cheap first. What could it hurt to compare costs?

My best,

Mike
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Pulling up this thread at a point it may be took late for the Holidays, I will "report" that I have found a printer who infuses the inks into an aluminum sheet. I have recently had a few prints made by http://www.imagewizards.net
    and the results are the "must be seen to be believed" variety. And, it is all about quality. The files for my images ran from about 300MB up to 800MB and one completed for a friend was 1.4GB. A caution, one must make certain there are no flaws in the image as the process will disclose any issues dramatically.

The cost is about the same as for a color print which is framed commercially.

I had the opportunity to tour the factory as it is about 50 km from my house. Great folks and if one wants a print which is outstanding, this is about as good as it gets, IMO.

Here is what Moose Peterson says
    http://macvoices.tv/macvoicestv-1284-photoshop-world-d-c-image-wizards-make-your-photos-shine-on-aluminum/
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Thanks for the tip. I will try them next time I make some large prints.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I have had really good results on large prints from Merdian Pro. No charge for custom adjustments, too.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Bayphoto Is my trusted printer. I really should try AI
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    About these aluminum prints: every website seems to say their process is unique. Anybody know if there is much variance?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @shawnino

If the print is made on an emulsion or coating on top of the aluminum, this is less substantial than ones made and fused into the aluminum. For example, the prints I have had made can be cleaned with alcohol, and polished with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze® Cleaner Wax. The color is part of the aluminum as I understand.

As I have not seen any prints other than the ones from ImageWizards I cannot say how they compare. But, mine look like you are viewing a color monitor in terms of color quality. The saturation is something I have never seen on a print before.
    Msmoto, mod
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    My other day job is signmaking.... Most metal prints nowadays are dye sublimation. While It looks awesome and is pretty durable it can be adverse to certain materials like packing tape (I learned the hard way). Packing tape causes a reddish discoloration. Dye subbing is like lazer printing where an ink/powder is fused to the metal. Bay photo does it like this.

The other type is DTS or direct to substrate which is much newer of a process where the ink is applied first surface to a substrate/metal directly using an agent to ensure its durability. It is common with new flatbed printers like the HP Scitex FB700 (a fortune to buy)

Of course you could go the old fashioned route like Msmoto pointed out and print atop a emulsion on the metal.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    @msmoto -I am about to order my first print from Image Wizards. I'll post an update as soon as it arrives :)
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    I am intrigued and shall be very interested, in delving into large prints soon too.
    Yeah, especially after picking up my new Nikon AF-S 80-400mm lens and reading nearly everything I can about it...

Yes, most definitely.
    But thinking about some very large prints from this D800, mine will be more like 44" x 66", plenty big enough.

This is also pretty cool though... I read about this incredible display late last night

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/27/how-i-created-a-four-story-tall-print-of-one-of-my-photographs/

What an awesome idea... But who has that kind of space?

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    edited December 2013
    One day I will get an Image Wizards print just to see what it will look like. I've looked at them for awhile now. Right now after having a box store print a 20x30 for me I decided no more cashiers would do my printing. Now I'm printing my own again on mostly a Kodak type metallic finish media. Put a box store print beside one and the diff is obvious. You don't need a proper viewing distance. D800 images at 24x36 are sharper than box store 4x6 photos. You can really pixel peep if that is what you like to do. I do. One other thing is I like too be in control of the right media for the type of print I'm selling. Cotton rag, canvas, etc. Art reproduction is best done on certified media for color fastness not the cheapest media a box store can buy.
    Post edited by FreezeAction on
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The best lab in the USA I have ever found for quality and price of really big prints is ABC Photo & Imaging in Manassas, Virginia. They can make big sharp prints and I have used them for up to 8x10 film formats and for digital printing to big sizes they are exceptional. I do not do as many big prints as i used to but they have been the best. I used to use Meisel Photochrome many years ago. I can print 17x44 easily myself but for all big work beyond 11 x 17 I prefer ABC. They have abcphoto.com
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    edited December 2013
    For gallery quality prints this site is worth looking at for B&W. I have never had the need to use them so I cannot rate them. They were referred to me by an international large format and ultra large format photographer a few years back. You do get to know in advance the media that your print will be on.

http://www.dalmatianlab.com/

It is rare to find a place still processing 12x20 inch sheet film.
    Post edited by FreezeAction on