New D610 has one spot

vinniecvinniec Posts: 8Member
edited January 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I just picked up a D610. Pics were great then I started to noticed a spot on my pictures. Of course l panicked after hearing all the D600 stories. I went into the menu and did a sensor clean . It wasn't factory set to clean. I have taken around 100 shots since then and I don't see it anymore. Should I be concerned about this? Do you think I should return it? Thanks.

Comments

• mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    i wouldnt worry about it

if its gone its gone
  • vinniecvinniec Posts: 8Member
    If it is oil, will it effect image quality?
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited January 2014
    If you can't see it, it won't. If you can, Nikon will fix it.

It was probably a piece of dust. If you use your camera and you are looking that closely, this will not be the first time.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    If and only if it's still there.

+1 to mikep: I'm sorry to read your sensor has a spot. On the bright side, it should not be a chronic issue.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    You are good. Dust spots are going to happen. Just get out there and use that fine camera.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I could pot some pictures if I could figure out how. I'm a newbie.
    Do you have a Flikr account?
    Normally one of the moderator will post the directions on how to post to PAD. Flicker just made a change and it appears to be causing some people a lot of grief when posting their pictures. I actually copied mine to a Word document and printed it for future use. However, after posting two pictures I tossed the directions, it's that easy once you change the size of the image.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @vinniec: I don't know what all the fuss is about - one spot that was removed by the self-clean process? Forget it.

Now follow the process for evaluating the sensor critically - f16 or smaller at the clear sky or brightly lit wall and check the shots on PC - if clean, I'd forget all about there being any problems with your D610 - the D600 problem is a different can o'worms.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @vinniec

Hang around the forum for awhile. A lot of folks have information which is helpful to all of us. Any camera which has a removable lens will have some dust/dirt on the sensor. Many DSLRs will also occasionally show oil spots in their early life. This is no different than in the old days of film when we had dust spots and these were removed in post processing. On a DSLR the problem is the sensor does not change with each image as it did in film cameras so we clean the sensor from time to time depending upon the amount of accumulation.
    Msmoto, mod
    Thanks for all the good information. I'll keep an eye on it. I've never had this on any of my Canons (don't hate me) and since I just unboxed this and have only had the one lens on it, I thought the worse. Thanks again.
    One last comment. I appreciated the positive and constructive responses. I also posted this question on another forum and I received a lot of sarcasm about "a little dust." If it weren't for the D600 problem, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Thanks
    One last comment. I appreciated the positive and constructive responses. I also posted this question on another forum and I received a lot of sarcasm about "a little dust." If it weren't for the D600 problem, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Thanks
    The moderators on this forum are really good, something that the other site, or even most other sites, likely lacks. They go to a great effort to ensure that the ton is civil. I have seen a few flareups, only to see them deleted within an hour or so. The people involved in the flareups are still participating and positively contributing.

Kudos to Msmoto, Golf and Adamz.
    Update: I took your advice and decided to stay with the D610. I do have a little OCD so I returned the one I had and exchanged it for another 610. I have paired it with a 24-120 f4 and will post an update once I get a few shots on. Thanks again for helping me sort this out. I look forward to being part of this forum.
    Well, glad you have reached a conclusion that you are comfortable with. However, be careful not to turn into one of these people who take more pictures checking their sensors than of anything else!

Spot removal in post processing is simple and fast so if you spot a spot of dust in the future (and you will, we all do after enough clicks), don't clean the sensor - let a few (20+) build up then clean it. They only affect images made at small apertures with clear areas where the spots are usually.
    Always learning.
    Sounds good. I will follow your recommendation. Can you clarify the sensor cleaning? Are you talking about the camera's sensor cleaning or manually cleaning it? The reason I ask is the default to the camera's sensor cleaning was set to off. This is my first Nikon and all my Canon cameras were set to clean at every power off. Thanks!
    edited January 2014
    I have mine clean at power on and off but I was referring to a manual clean above. Because I have mine set to clean at on and off, I can never know how effective it is, but IMHO if the first bit of dust in your first camera was dislodged by self cleaning, it really was absolutely no problem.

Next thing is for you to get a proper Giottos rocket blower and when you see a few spots, take the lens off and give it a good vigorous blow out - that will probably be all you need to do then a manual clean at 5000 clicks is all I have ever needed to do on my Nikon's. Don't forget to blow the front and rear of the lenses off too at the same time and buy a proper lens cloth.

There are threads on here about sensor cleaning, but take a look on YouTube. Caution is good, watch a lot of video's before you try it yourself to get a 'virtual' feel for it.

Your zoom is an air-pump and so even if you never change lenses, you will see some dust over time depending on where you shoot..
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    Thanks for taking the time to explain this.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    The truth is, unless you're shooting with a prime lens in a certified clean room and never change lenses, you're going to get some dust on your sensor at some point. You can drive yourself crazy over it, or you can do your best to change lenses in a "smart" way and live with the fact that you're going to have to clean your sensor every so often using various methods (mechanically in camera, with a blower, or wet cleaning).
    Even then it isn't unreasonable for the camera to create the odd spot or two of dust in use and as the sensor seems to attract them (Charge Coupled Device), you will see it soon enough. Nobody has a camera that doesn't need cleaning, if they tell you that they do, then it is because they don't know what they are talking about.
    Always learning.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    Or don't use it!

Leave it in the case and fantasize about taking pictures... Hahaha

Let's face it, if it get's used, it will get a dusting from time to time...

GIOTTOS Rocket-Air to the rescue!!
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

Just don't take that Giottos Rocket in your carry on luggage. LoL. Sorry could not resist.

I love mine and would not be without it. You should have heard my adult daughter saying you paid how much for that blower??????
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The truth is, unless you're shooting with a prime lens in a certified clean room and never change lenses...
    Even prime lenses have moving elements that can draw and push dust through, although not to the same extent that zooms can.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    Just don't take that Giottos Rocket in your carry on luggage. LoL. Sorry could not resist.

I love mine and would not be without it. You should have heard my adult daughter saying you paid how much for that blower??????
    Thanks for the morning smile... TSA TO YOU TOO, hahaha...
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

ChasCS you are welcome.

It's always nice to laugh and smile when reading messages on NR.