Non CPU lenses on d7000

CharmdesignCharmdesign Posts: 66Member
edited January 2014 in Nikon Lenses
I am trying out my grandfathers old 24-85 3.5-4.5 ai ( hope I remembered that right) in the morning for the first time. I tried to enter the non CPU lens data. For my prime it was straightforward but how do out do this for a zoom? I don't think ranges were an option.

Also. I changed it to manual focus mode but I noticed a black focus box still visible smack in the middle of my screen. What the heck?

And focusing is next to impossible unless I use the live view. Why does the shutter sound like it is taking forever in that mode vs taking the pic with the same speed outside of that mode?

I was frustrated to see that my camera couldn't record which focal length I used, it just said "28" for all of them. Perhaps bc this is what I entered.

I hoped this would serve as a trial of sorts to see if I might want a like zoom with AF. It this lens considered fast? Offhand it struck me it could be better but could be worse.

I also have a 28mm 1.4 prime and a 105 prime, and 50 1.4. On the 105- that sounds odd, I will double check that at tell you the aperture in the am. Wonder about value on these out of sheer curiosity. I like that I can "try" some stuff out before I buy AF lenses.
Post edited by Charmdesign on
Camera: Nikon D7000, Lenses: Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, 35mm 1.8G DX, Ai'd MF: 50mm 1.4, 28mm 1.4, 24-70mm

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    There is another thread on this topic at the top of the next page as I write this. PLEASE learn to use the search function and append your question to that thread.
    Always learning.
  • CharmdesignCharmdesign Posts: 66Member
    Okay, but last time a thread I wanted feedback specific to my situation got closed and pasted into an older thread of someone else's, I went on to get no answers to my question rather comments went to the OP. I will paste this in the thread you are referring to .
    Camera: Nikon D7000, Lenses: Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, 35mm 1.8G DX, Ai'd MF: 50mm 1.4, 28mm 1.4, 24-70mm