Off Topic discussions

IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
edited January 2014 in General Discussions
Let's discuss how to handle off topic discussions

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited January 2014
    jshickele .......We are kind of like a closely knit group sitting around a big dinner table with numerous little side conversations interspersed with moments.....

We are indeed, but long rambling threads, make things difficult for the newbie. who will inevitable be told "do a search first" and has to read the whole of several threads, to see if his question has been answered . There is new thread "Is the D7100 Nikon's best camera" which seems to asking a very similar question and getting very similar relies

None of what any of you say has any relevance. There is a thread called 'Too lazy to start a new thread' and that is where all of these spurious irrelevant comment belong.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    edited January 2014
    See how easy it is to pull comments in from other threads? I used this nifty feature that every computer, tablet, and smartphone has called "cut and paste". I first hit "quote" in the original thread, then "select all" then "copy", move to the new thread and then hit "paste".

I humbly suggest this is the best way to have off topic discussions, rather than in the thread itself. You can use this thread, or the "Too lazy..." thread, or start a new one if it already hasn't been started in yet another (do a search first!)

Thoughts? Comments?
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I say let the admin and mods weigh on this.

If I ask a question of course I want an on-topic discussion or an answer right away. After it has been asnwered and the thread goes off-topic and its valuable info then let it be. I follow some threads and some I do not.

I have not looked at the too lazy thread at all. Maybe I will maybe I won't but I like to read titles and then if i'm interested i click on them.
    If I can provide some input then I do so and if I can't I don't type in "not this again" "here we go again" or "do a serach first"

This is by far my most favorite and useful site. we don't want this site to turn into PP commenters.
    thats my .2 cents.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    I hate threads with a Mystery title, like, "Oh wow, is this real?"
    Now I just have to look, to get the hidden gem!!
    Often nothing of interest to me...

So why the secret? Spit if out buddy!! ;-) yeah
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

edited January 2014
    Well as a specific example when the "real estate" thread started going off into the DX vs FX weeds, how hard would it have been to put a link into the thread off to a topic of "DX vs FX pros and cons" and have that discussion there, rather than polute the real estate thread (hey maybe we should have a DX/FX thread since this comes up in almost every discussion, but I digress).

Some slightly off topic discussion is fine, like the drone photography discussion in the "real estate" thread because it was pertinent to the discussion of photographing property from the air, but too far off and it does get annoying...

@vip what is PP commenters?
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @Ironheart p e t a p i x e l dot com that site usually brings out the worst in people. lol.
    There is going to be major private drone exhibits at CES 2014, beginning tomorrow.
    http://www.reviewed.com/video?event=ces2014&video=3019229606001

Reading some of the other event blurbs here
    http://www.reviewed.com/events/ces2014

Not much on the camera front at this years big event though,,,. :-(
    http://www.reviewed.com/video?event=ces2014&video=3019236348001
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    This thread can go for a while and we will evaluate the posts.

When a thread is started with a mystery title I attempt to clarify this.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I agree with Ironheart about the drones. That should have been in it's own forum.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Nikodoby (sp) as a mod was very heavy-handed, but his thinking was clear and infringements were pointed out quickly. I used to think it was OTT but it would probably have limited PaRealtor's thread to two pages of relevant posts which would have been good.

The title 'Too lazy etc.' was made up by him in frustration because of the off-topic posters. IMHO it isn't a great title because it isn't clear to what topic it refers, (!) but I use it for stuff that isn't worthy of a thread proper.

Another forum I visit has a section specifically set aside for such threads and it is named like an English Pub - the atmosphere being similar with humour and topics being very pub-like. Maybe that is a way forward for NR? It is a 'sticky' over there.

Whatever happens, something should be done to re-establish the value of the search facility.
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Nikodoby (sp) as a mod was very heavy-handed, but his thinking was clear and infringements were pointed out quickly. .
    Ironheart

(hey maybe we should have a DX/FX thread

But we are all scared, Nico will come back from the dead and close it . It was a topic he hated

I doubt anyone could replace Niko. My style is to be much more free in allowing discussions to move about. The primary function I have is to watch for any personality issues which threaten the extremely positive atmosphere on NRF. Attacks against others are not well tolerated by me. I will attempt to clarify issues if the thread is unclear, such as "What do I do" as a thread title, I would attempt to see what the real question is.

There is often a drifting off topic, and I do this myself. But, this may be done to emphasize the point being made and the "off topic" issues need to be related to the original thread topic, IMO.

I will also close a thread if I think it is someone's ego trip. Like "Look at all my photos" by someone who simply wants to skirt the PAD limitations.

So, I am certain I could be more aggressive in dealing with the side issues of various threads, but, from an overall perspective the atmosphere on NRF seems quite pleasant and there is a huge amount of good information passed around. For the most part I think everyone accepts the various opinions, with only an occasional incident of conflict.

Having viewed other forums, I like NRF the best.

Thank you Peter.
    Msmoto, mod
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    That and threads entitled "I have a question" (facepalm)

These forums would benefit if the members would learn how to construct a useful and descriptive title.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    At a high level, asking members to follow procedures is a little like hearding cats. There are instances where a new thread is appropriate and as a member, I will try to be more diligent about that.

In the end, as Msmoto said, the moderators will review the comments and make the necessary "policy and procedure" adjustments. I think the forum is great and ultimately the credit goes to the leadership of the moderators (or whomever they report to). I will be happy to defer to them and will not begrudge them if their choices are "not perfect for me". Neither should any other member.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    I think threads here are closed arbitrarily, and often too quickly.

The D300s Successor thread is some sort of group therapy (I'm as guilty of participating as anyone else) at 1845 posts and counting--plus however many hundred were on the old forum. Still useful? I'm not sure.

Somebody wondering if a used D4 on for $3500 is a good deal/stolen/who-the-hell-knows starts a thread and after 12 posts it gets closed with "If it smells to good to be true, it is because it is not." - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2192/nikon-d4-for-3500-wo-box-warranty#Item_12

Lots of us buy used. Some posters are pros at it. Me? I'm a moron. Actually, that's an insult to morons (IQ 51-70). I'm more of an idiot (26-50). I wish more advice had been allowed to be given in that thread. I actually started looking online: there are ways to figure out some of these issues. I returned here to post a couple sources, but the thread was closed.
    edited January 2014
    We won't know if reading that camera thread, whether it was hot, cold or just being kept warm for its next owner...
    It didn't bother me to see it being closed, at all. But there is something that bugs the heck out of me.
    I hate with a passion, people who are self deprecating...

Smarten up ya big dummy!! J/k ;-) but seriously, no one here is below anyone else, we are equals.
    Sure there are levels of knowledge, but just because some of Us are still learning,
    Ah, this simply makes us students, say no more,,,.
    Post edited by ChasCS on

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2014
    I have often done some research on topics and crafted a reply only to come back to a closed thread .. :-(

Maybe we need a thread that request a thread reopen.. .. maybe post your reason .. reply in that thread. ? not exactly sure how that would work.. maybe the moderator that closed it can copy the reply back into the reopened thread .. or maybe have it as a thread of lost threads in general :-) call it the twilight zone ? ;-)

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    and maybe you could just simply email the mod or send her/him a PM? isn't the easiest solution? sometimes we close topics when ppl get to angry and emotions are taking over. sometimes if we see a particular question asked for xxxxxxx time and sometimes we just do it because. after all, we are only humans ;) - except Tommie, she is supernatural :)
    That and threads entitled "I have a question" (facepalm)

These forums would benefit if the members would learn how to construct a useful and descriptive title.
    Sometimes that tiny Face Palm doesn't quite meet the posters true meaning,

But this will...image tell you the true feeling!! ;-) (-;

Yeah eh?

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I see the "is the D7100 the best camera thread " is turning into the usual DX vs FX argument :(

@adamz

Mmmm…….
    Msmoto, mod
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2014
    I see the "is the D7100 the best camera thread " is turning into the usual DX vs FX argument :(

i knew i should have restarted my "FX is dead" thread .. :-)

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited January 2014
    The "Quote" button is really useful.

A "quote in new thread" button would be really useful.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
    That's what cut and past are for. You quote it, cut the text from the comment box and paste into whatever thread you want.
    That's what cut and past are for. You quote it, cut the text from the comment box and paste into whatever thread you want.
    Sure, that works. That means we also don't need the quote button. However, my idea is probably a pipe dream as the software for this site probably does not have that feature and the mods are photographers, not programmers.