Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 zoom anybody tried it?

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @NSXTypeR: So, you're getting one? Great! Do show us some images on PAD or Flickr.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    @NSXTypeR: So, you're getting one? Great! Do show us some images on PAD or Flickr.
    Haha, I just noticed that the tone of my post sounded like I was going to get one!

Sorry, to disappoint, it is likely that I am getting one in the future, but maybe not now.

I'm just pretty frustrated with the way Nikon has been with producing wide angle primes for DX.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    OK, gotcha @NSXTypeR, sorry to read that. Given that the Sigma is giving better numbers than the Nikon primes, why not get one?

I'm waiting for one of the people whose posts I have read and images I have looked at and admired for years to get one and then see them report (and back up with images) that it is really that great and has no focus issues. If nobody can get the results out of it, I will not bother.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Haha, I just noticed that the tone of my post sounded like I was going to get one!

Sorry, to disappoint, it is likely that I am getting one in the future, but maybe not now.

I'm just pretty frustrated with the way Nikon has been with producing wide angle primes for DX.
    Or even primes for DX.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited January 2014
    "Sigma basically gave us all the wide angle DX primes Nikon is either unwilling to make or too incompetent to make (probably the latter) in one glorious zoom that ends up cheaper for us in the long run." Correct, except Nikon is not incompetent to make those primes, they just don't think enough people will buy them. Sigma didn't intend to cripple the f1.8 zoom with a weak zoom range; they are just limiting the range to use f1.8 glass. As Sigma gains more experience they will produce more such zooms and with larger zoom ranges. We will have to look to Sigma to give us what Nikon won't. That's ok. Good for Sigma!
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • HvalHval Posts: 110Member
    spraynpray,

I have reposted the photos at the following link. The exif data should be viewable now. My apologies for not getting them done last night; work keeps intruding.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hval01/sets/72157639667900145/#sthash.sRn4r6Ty.dpuf

Cheers,

Hval

Owner of an extremely high quality Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth
    edited January 2014
    I have added a batch of photographs to Flickr. These photographs have not been edited (apologies for the untidy room). All the photos were taken from a tripod at a distance of 0.9 metres (3') from a Lensalign target. All photographs taken at 18mm with different aperture settings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hval01/sets/72157639767139246/

The following is a link to photographs taken in the same location and lighting at 35mm and at a range of apertures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hval01/sets/72157639774480313/

If I get a chance I shall take additional photographs at other focal lengths at 0.9M. I shall also try to take a range of photos at longer distances.

Post edited by Hval on

Cheers,

Hval

Thanks Hval. I must say I do like that lens! Just might have to get one even before I get a 24mp DX sensor body.
    Yes, thanks Hval, very good of you to take the time to post.

I do need to find out what the USB dock is good for i.e. AF fine tune at different focal lengths or ? I noticed a tendency for your lens to front AND back focus by a bit as it is zoomed. As the 18-35 is capable of giving such a small depth of field, I would try to minimise that personally.
    Always learning.
    Morning Spraynpray & Donaldjose,

I have deliberately not made any adjustments to the lens as yet. I also noticed that tendency for the change of front/ back focussing with the testing last night. If I get a chance I shall carry out further testing tonight. I shall also post a few more photos that I took this morning. (apologies, in advance, for the ugliness of the people in the photo. At least they know they are ugly :-) ).

By the by, the lens doesn't come with the USB dock; you have to purchase that separately (or at least I had to). Sigma say the following "Multiple focus setting options are available with 16 categories (4 options for focal length) x (4 options for shooting distance) for zoom lenses.". It would appear that there are other options. Sigma's latest lenses from their Sports, Art or Contemporary ranges, can be updated and focusing can be fine tuned. Lenses in the Sports range also have the choice of three focusing speeds, three optical stabilisation adjustment modes and the range of the focus limiter adjusted.

Ephotozine have further information here: - http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-usb-dock-review-22170

Cheers,

Hval

I have added photos of a Lensalign target to Flickr. The focal lengths added are 20mm, 24mm and 28mm. As before, the target was approximately 0.9m (3') from the camera focal plane. Lighting was the same as the night before. Have also added those scary photos. Including what I have added already the links are as follows: -

18mm - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hval01/sets/72157639767139246/#sthash.8q5hzXra.dpuf

20mm - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hval01/sets/72157639808098513/

24mm - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hval01/sets/72157639807620364/

28mm - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hval01/sets/72157639807549803/

35mm - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hval01/sets/72157639774480313/#sthash.8q5hzXra.dpuf

Low Light Photographs - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hval01/sets/72157639667900145/#sthash.8q5hzXra.dpuf

Scary Guys Photographs - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hval01/sets/72157639800389146/

Focussing- I find that the focussing is accurate (yes it does front/ back focus at the moment), quiet, but not particularly fast. It is fast enough for me though.

Cheers,

Hval

Thanks @Hval, that's great.

If I may be so bold: You need to try the D7100 - it will blow your sock off!
    Always learning.
    Morning spraynpray,

The D7100 does interest me in a way. Unfortunately it doesnt quite meet my needs. My interests in photography are wide ranging, from aviation to street photography and from birds in flight to landscape. I take photographs of the odd event as well. I am therefore looking for a D300 update. I suspect that my next camera will be a D800, which will meet many of my needs, but not all. My possible problem with the D800 is that I will carry a camera around, but generaly do not carry a tripod or monopod. I worry that my shaky hands may not be up to taking photographs with the D800 to a standard required. I certainly have the lenses that are good enough for the D800. I find the D4 just too large for me and my small hands. I like the perceived 1.5 times extension that DX also gives which is why I am so reluctant to go FX.

Possibly the D7100 would meet my needs as much as the D800 would, I really do not know. Like you, I like a good low light ability. I tend not to use a flash at all where possible. Both the D7100 and the D800 will obviously be much better than the D300 for that. I like the functionality of the D300 and worry that a D7100 may not offer all that.

I suspect I shall go for a D800 and wait for the D400 equivalent when it comes out. Whilst waiting for the D400 I shall continue to use my D300 and my D200.

Sorry for the waffle.

Regards,

Hval.

Cheers,

Hval

The D800 will really really blow your socks off.

If you find you want the 1.5 image extension, you can shoot in DX mode.

If you are worried about your shaky hands, shoot with a faster shutter speed which the better high iso performance will let you do. There is even a way to automatically up shutter speed while taking focal length into consideration in auto ISP.

There is nothing a D7100 can do that a D800 can't do just as we'll or better except damage your pocket book less if you drop it. Well, if 6fps is "really" important to you...... Regarding the "reach" argument, read the thread on that.
    jshickele,

D300 is 8fps with a battery grip. The D800 in crop mode is not great, particulalrly with me wearing spectacles. The view finder is the problem. I always take photographs in RAW format as well.

I have been following discussions on "reach" argument on this forum, DPReview and Nikonians for some considerable time. Absolutley fascinating. Personally I tend to fall on the side of DX is better than FX - for me; once you take in to account photosite sizes, dynamic range, diffraction etc.

Regards,

Hval

Cheers,

Hval

• KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    FYI, Nasim just posted a great review over at photography life.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    edited January 2014
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Well, it's a heavier and more expensive proposition that the 35/1.8G, but that Imatest sure is sweet.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • 9viii9viii Posts: 25Member
    edited January 2014
    I got the 18-35f1.8 for Christmas this year and have been trying it on my full frame body, the vignetting requires some cropping of the sides (at least moving to a 4/3 aspect ratio, though at 5/4 you just get some nice black snips in the corners), but, you still get full 20mm vertical resolution.
    It can be used at f1.8 but vignetting is significantly reduced at f2.8, so you're kind of back to square 1 there, it kind of ends up being just a nice odd wide angle lens that also works as the best normal zoom lens ever on crop sensors.
    Distortion is an issue as well, I find images look best at 20-22mm (that is, it has barrel distortion at 18mm and pincushion at 24mm, and at 20-22mm there seems to be very little distortion).
    I don't have any other wide angle lenses but for my first wide angle lens I am well pleased.

ETA: I should add that the new lens cap is amazing.
    Post edited by 9viii on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2014
    I got the 18-35f1.8 for Christmas this year and have been trying it on my full frame body, the vignetting requires some cropping of the sides (at least moving to a 4/3 aspect ratio, though at 5/4 you just get some nice black snips in the corners), but, you still get full 20mm vertical resolution.
    It can be used at f1.8 but vignetting is significantly reduced at f2.8, so you're kind of back to square 1 there, it kind of ends up being just a nice odd wide angle lens that also works as the best normal zoom lens ever on crop sensors.
    Distortion is an issue as well, I find images look best at 20-22mm (that is, it has barrel distortion at 18mm and pincushion at 24mm, and at 20-22mm there seems to be very little distortion).
    I don't have any other wide angle lenses but for my first wide angle lens I am well pleased.

ETA: I should add that the new lens cap is amazing.
    Can you post some sample images at FF at various Focal lengths? I am considering this lense for use with my D610 and D7200(when it arrives)

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

For FX? Basically equivalent to a 28 to 50 2.8. Are there not better choices?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    For FX? Basically equivalent to a 28 to 50 2.8. Are there not better choices?
    Huh? its a 18-35 F1.8 zoom. There are no other F1.8 zooms... just wondering if it can be used on an FX camera even for part of the range just like my 12-24 can be used from 18-24.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

The depth of field for DX f/1.8 is similar to FX f/2.8. I am not sure about light gathering power, but I suspect that even that is also similar. Since you are talking about using it on FX, I think it is something that you should think about.
    @WestEndBoy: You're missing the point somewhat. The sigma would be a f1.8 if it was used on an FX body.
    Always learning.