How to avoid fogging

MinispudMinispud Posts: 10Member
edited January 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I'm going to Peru on an amazon cruise. Has anybody got any ideas on how to protect my camera gear from rain is there are trips into the rainforest and also how to protect my gear against fogging. The cabins on the boat are air conditioned which might be good for me, but not my camera gear. I appreciate your help and thank you in advance.

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Best and most practical advice I can give is to keep your camera in a zip lock bag until it is thoroughly warmed up in the humid rain forest then I would only expose the end of the lens by using a rubber band around your lens hood. The last bit keeps the rain out, the first bit keeps the nasty condensing humidity out. Take a few bags. The air con will be good to dry out the camera afterwards but put it in a dry bag before going out.

Others may recommend marine casings but they're ex-pen-sive.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited January 2014
    For nasty conditions, I like the Ewe Marine solutions. Here is an example from Adorama

http://www.adorama.com/EWUFXP.html

I would be extremely cautious about where I change lenses, do this only in a dry location, i.e., probably not a location found on a cruise boat unless it is deep and minimal outside air can get to you. I would take two cameras, keep them dry as suggested by spraynpray, and in the worst conditions go with what I suggested.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    edited January 2014
    You're going to have a blast. I recently did a cruise through Costa Rica, which presents similar fog/moisture potential. Without boring the rest of the forum with my entire post, here's an excerpt of something I wrote about fogging/equipment protection:

Plastic bags. Bring a ton. I was frequently making wet landings in a zodiac from a small ship. One day while waiting to head back, I took a direct hit with a wave. It could have been a disaster. Fortunately, I had everything packed in plastic bags and the rain cover over my bag. Nothing got wet. Next time I'm buying a dry bag though, something like this: http://www.overboardusa.com/pro-sports-waterproof-backpack-20ltr-blue.html

Plastic covers like these:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891383-REG/ruggard_rc_p18_18_plastic_rain_cover.html. Best $6 I ever spent.

Anti-fog cloths, like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/374564-REG/Nikon_8073_Fog_Eliminator_Cloths_3_Pack.html
    You're going to be moving from cool dry environments to warm moist environments all day long. Your lenses are going to fog. If you can, keep your stuff out of air conditioning. Some people on my trip learned this the hard way. They'd get out and find that they couldn't shoot for the first two hours of a hike because their gear was fogged. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2126/what-is-the-best-lens-prime-or-zoom-for-wildlife-and-bird-photography-for-an-fx-body-nikon#Item_61

On our boat, we had a common area (not in air conditioning) where people could keep their camera gear. I was carrying about $15k worth of gear so I was a little nervous at first about leaving it out there in the open, but it was fine. Really, if someone steals a lens, what are they going to do, abscond with it through the jungle? Depending on your trip, you may have a photography instructor. Ask him where he keeps his gear and see if you can store yours with him. Our instructor kept his out with everyone else. But definitely, do NOT keep your gear in your cabin if you can avoid it. Just out of curiosity, who are you traveling with?
    Post edited by proudgeek on
  • MinispudMinispud Posts: 10Member
    Hi Proudgeek, appreciate your advise and also everybody who has given their own experiences. I have 2-3 days in Lima and fly to Iquitos for a 7 day cruise on the M/V Aqua during May 2014. I have a Sigma 300mm f2.8 with a 1.4 TC which I'm loving at the moment. Took some stunning photos of Red Kites today in Rockingham Forest which makes me even more excited about Peru. I'm also buying a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 IF EX DG HSM to add to my arsenal.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Just a word of warning, the current 24-70mm Sigma isn't exactly a stunner in terms of performance.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    I made good experience with the Ewa-Marine enclosures/bags,as mentioned by Tommie. You only need it if it is raining though.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2014
    @Minispud: +1 @ PB_PM.

In addition, the Sigma 24-70 2.8 does not have weather sealing as well. I would not recommend getting this lens for the trip you are about to go on.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MinispudMinispud Posts: 10Member
    Which one would you buy then?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2014
    I'm not sure I'd worry too much about the weather sealing, so much as optical performance for the price. The Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC is better optically. If weather sealing is a must you only have one choice, the Nikkor. I'd still get a rain cover, regardless of which lens you end up getting.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2014
    @Minispud: I highly recommend you getting the Nikon 24-70 2.8 it is the one to go with. With that said, have a look at this 24-70 2.8 Showdown and hopefully you will find what works for you best.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    the 24-70 is quite waterproof, had to once clean it in the shower along with d3s and it survived :)
    as for the $5 bag, really??? if it's really nasty I just get a trash bag and just put the whole thing inside or a plastic grocery bag. jus make sure you make a hole for the front element.