"Upgrading" to FX, Best Compromise: D600, D3S, or ?

Comments

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @obajoba - that shouldn't be a problem for d3s. as I wrote before, had bigger waves hitting my cam in the past. and if You want to be more creative, for the price of d4 You can get d3s with some housing.
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    @obajoba - that shouldn't be a problem for d3s. as I wrote before, had bigger waves hitting my cam in the past. and if You want to be more creative, for the price of d4 You can get d3s with some housing.
    A D3s with a housing is definitely an option I have considered. I think that would give me additional freedom in that I could hop in a tube behind the boat, or in the water, and just in general be more creative. I've spoken with several Pro wakesurfers and wakeboarders and they've told me a number of the photographers use those methods (in addition to really cool stuff like helicopters... sure, I've got one of those back in the hangar /sarcasm :) )

D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2013
    @obajoba I too got my D4 for $5000, I jumped on it like a Grizzly bear on a salmon!
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    @obajoba I too got my D4 for $5000, I jumped on it like a Grizzly bear on a salmon!
    I had zero intention to spend 5k on a body, was going to spend that total on some glass and a body, but this might just be too good to pass up. Heck, I could probably try it out and sell it for a profit if not break even at the very least.
    Good luck with that idea...once it finds itself in your hand, you will have a very hard time in parting with it. You will seeeee......muhaaaaaa
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Obajoba, the title of this thread appears a bit misleading. You're not looking for a "compromise", but just for the best :-B
    Only question remains, is the D4 better for your purposes or the D3s.
    And another question: are you sure to be better off without selling pictures and making them only for fun? If that surfer guy was your photo, it is pro level and should not be given away for free except you take revenge on some pros.
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    edited January 2013
    obajoba:

Sorry for the mis-information. I just re-checked those completed listings. Most of the sub-$3,000 "D3s" bodies were really just D3 bodies, but titled "D3s."
    Post edited by studio460 on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I have been recently testing a D600 against a D800 for HS basketball. Low Light, fast motion, and limited postitions from which to shoot make it a difficult assignment. I thought I would prefer the D600 due to lightness and smaller file sizes but so far (almost half way through the season) I prefer the D800. The great detail captured and the ability to crop when fast moving subjects makes it difficult to frame precisely at time of exposure is a great advantage. I have not tried the D3s since it was both older technology and much more expensive.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    A D3s/D3 is still in the game for still photos. If you want to do more video then the D4. A D3 is still a great camera in its own right for the type of photography you're doing. Get one in the low 2K range, bargain.

framer
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@obajoba I don't do the kind of shooting you want to do, but IMHO, I think heavy (very heavy) is your only option. Costing out what you are willing, able and want to spend will determine which camera to get, keeping in mind that feeding the beast is part of the cost.

You'll have batteries, media and lenses and a host of accessories, too. The little (or not so little) monster is going to cost a bunch.

What I'd recommend is costing out your system for a D3s, D700 with battery grip and a D4 with the lenses you think you'd need with the media and accessories you'd really want to start with and rack and stack them on 'benefits and deficits' to see where everything comes out. It might be eye opening.

My best,

Mike
    And another question: are you sure to be better off without selling pictures and making them only for fun? If that surfer guy was your photo, it is pro level and should not be given away for free except you take revenge on some pros.
    @JJ_SO - Consider me humbled. Those are mighty kind words, thank you. I shot that with my D7000 and the kit 18-105 with a Hoya CPL on it. I have dozens, if not hundreds, of photos that I would rank equal or better than that particular shot. Until 2 days ago, I had never even thought about selling a single photo. Heck, I have even given parents full USB sticks with the full size images of their kid, sharpened for print, so that they could use them however they please.

But, I digress once again, the man in that surf photo is a friend and suggested to me just the other day that I should, at the very least, get a business license and try to send off some freelance shots to recoup some of my equipment costs.

This thread started as a "compromise" thread, digressed to an all out "which is the right camera?" and all the while forcing me into some sort of self-reflection. Thank you to all that have chimed in, I will let you know which direction I decide to go, and heck, maybe I will even upload some of my better photos to flickr (or elsewhere) to share with you all.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your comments, thoughts and advice!

@obajoba Mike is the voice on one shoulder...I'm on the other side whispering: D4...D4....D4....muhaaaaaa! >:)

By all mean start posting on PAD man ;)
    @obajoba Mike is the voice on one shoulder...I'm on the other side whispering: D4...D4....D4....muhaaaaaa! >:)

By all mean start posting on PAD man ;)
    @Golf007sd - my super budget conscious wife (who happens to be a full time grad student working on her PharmD) even told me to pull the trigger on that D4. I'm scared man. That's a lot of money to be toting around on boats, in the snow, and all over South Africa later this year.

BTW - what is this PAD of which you speak?

Ohhhhhhhhh PAD = Photo-a-day! (sirens, bells, and whistles go off in my head) Sorry about that, it's been a LONG Monday.
    I understand your concern...in the end you will do what YOU feel is the best gear for you AND within your budget. Please don't take me humor the wrong way. Do not put yourself in any financial hardship...Period! Rent the D4 for trip, if need be, and make your discussion afterwards.

Glad you found PAD :P
    I understand your concern...in the end you will do what YOU feel is the best gear for you AND within your budget. Please don't take me humor the wrong way. Do not put yourself in any financial hardship...Period! Rent the D4 for trip, if need be, and make your discussion afterwards.

Glad you found PAD :P
    As a man that was once homeless, I've learned to never put myself under financial stress. I adopted a rule long ago " if you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it." And with the exception of house and car, I live steadfast to that rule. The compromise is more like 1) D3s plus some new glass and upgrade my 70-200 VR to a VRII, 2) buy a D4 and save for a few months to buy new glass/upgrade it, or 3) D600 or 800 with glass and possible aquatic housing. So, that's still my point of compromise and it isn't easy.

edited January 2013
    The 70-200 VR I is an outstanding lens, if I had that lens, I would see the need to replace it. I would put that fund towards the body. What other lenses are you seeking to get by the way?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2013
    Lets go through the options again

D600 - This is not going to cut the mustard , the focusing will be too slow, for the stuff you want to do

D800 - I have one and absolutely love it , but I do mainly landscapes, I don't do a lot of sports or wild life . If I did, I would ALSO get a D4

The D800 the 4 fps and limited buffer, means you may miss a critical shot; so from what you are telling us, you need a D4 ( If you have a D800 there is no point in shooting anything other than full frame and 16 bit RAW )

D4 - just what the doctor ordered

D3s - don't take a second hand camera on a trip of a life time

aquatic housing ?? I have written off 3 film cameras with these ( and a Nikonos ) don't use your main camera in a housing, unless your name is Hans Hass

VR I vs VRII not a huge difference
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    @Golf007sd - I haven't had a chance to try the VRI on an FX body but I have read many a rant about the "softness" in the corners. That was my concern with that lens.
    As for other lenses:
    - I will definitely pick up a Nikon 24-70/2.8
    - A TC-17, or TC-14e II (I rented both and thought they were great) to recoup my DX -> FX loss in zoom
    - and possibly a fully functional Nikon 14-24 (I have one that's been dropped in the drink, obtained in a trade for some computer and old school bmx parts)

Aside from that, those cover 98% of everything I do. Until I can afford something huge, like a 400mm, I would be very happy with those 3 lenses and TC's.

@sevencrossing - Yep, I think you're "right on" with the options. I may actually have the D4 in my hands by the end of the week.

As for the "trip of a lifetime"? Wellll... my wife is South African and all but her immediate family still reside there. So, when we go (this will be trip #2 in 3 years) we stay with family and friends. Trust me when I say that saves us a lot of money, especially since we stay for 3-4 weeks when we go. The safari did, however, set me back some hefty coin, but it was a charity auction so I got it for a song (comparatively.) We had already planned our trip (airfare already set aside) and there wasn't a lot of competition from an auction aspect, mainly because what for me is an added cost, is at least another $6-8k in airfare/hotel for others. Not. Cheap. I guess I married the right girl :) The downside? I only get to go on vacation every couple years, it's only to ZA, and that's 30+ hours of travel in both directions.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    In a pinch, this will get you upgraded to an FX camera on the cheap.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonprt/en_US/pd/productID.255745400

I'm surprised nobody has suggested this alternative.
    In a pinch, this will get you upgraded to an FX camera on the cheap.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonprt/en_US/pd/productID.255745400
    I would actually need to have a camera in order for this trick to work... OH! Will it convert my N90s to an FX Digital body? BEcause I would totally pay for that man! :D

edited January 2013
    @bajoba Have you considered sending the 14-24 to Nikon and see what they will charge for the repair work? As for the 70-200 VR I being a bit soft in the corners....I would not lose sleep over that to much. I totally agree on the 24-70 2.8 it is a must have lens for sure. However, one lens that I would highly recommend you consider before the it is the 85 1.8G. It's performance on the D4 is awesome.

@Ironheart Nice find. :-))
    @Golf007sd - I did think about sending in the 14-24 to Nikon, just never got around to it. Maybe I will do that and at least see if it is repairable; even if it cost $750 to fix, I would still only be into it for <$1k. Not sure on the 85mm, I RARELY used primes for what I shoot. And, IIRC, the guy I bought my 70-200VR from was selling that lens so he could buy the 85mm for his D4 or D800 (can't remember which he had.) I had the 35mm f/1.8G for my D7000 and used it twice and even then it was only so I could check it out, never found a time when it proved useful otherwise.
  • mirtosmirtos Posts: 16Member
    edited January 2013

Oh <>, who am I kidding, I'm just doing circles and in the end I will tell the wife I spent $3k but actually spend 6k and buy <> D4.... :D
    New Business Strategy For Nikon: Sell high end cameras but with the lower camera logo on them (a d4 that says d3, etc)...

"Look honey, i bought the cheaper one" :)

Post edited by mirtos on