Dangers From Being A Photog?

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited July 2013
    @Bland

AKA......High Side...not a good way to get off one's bike....and these bikes can fly in the air if they are moving much above 100K Kmh....I mean unpredictable if you are shooting from outside the corner...not uncommon.

The previous video is somewhere on the F1 website, I believe.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I always try to remember to stop my bikes before I get off these days - no point in getting old if you don't learn what hurts along the way!
    Always learning.
    @Msmoto:

Typically, F1 management are minimalising the awareness of the horrible incident by issuing copyright infringements to every website that had posted a video and have only got a still shot of the wheel departing Webber's Red Bull - not the moment it hit the cameraman. They further sanitise it by adding the caption:

"Formula One Management Limited confirms that one of its personnel was injured while working in the pit lane during the German Grand Prix and is currently receiving medical care. The person concerned is expected to make a full recovery. To safeguard the individual’s privacy, no further comment will be made."
    Always learning.
    @spraynpray
    Yes, I agree. I think maybe it was on a news feed I saw the incident.

For those who want to see an interesting movie, check out "Rear Window". This is a mystery about a photographer who was hit by a race car.
    Msmoto, mod
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    edited November 2013
    A sure kill is a heart lung shot, with razor shaving sharp broad head or appropriate sized round.

A couple years ago, I was returning from a small out of town archery shop, travelling the back roads home.
    I had my camera as well as a large bow case with my bow and plenty of gear, open on the back seat.
    I saw a group of healthy deer in a farm field close by the road, when I turned the corner heading East and so I parked to have a quick look.
    My interest got the better of me, and I did have all my tags, licence and up to date wildlife certificate all in order.

So I grabbed my bow, instead of my camera and wandered into the bush, planning to circle around behind the group and try my luck. Too bad, I got winded and they scattered into the trees before I had gotten a clean shot off. I froze still, theoretically and figuratively and waited awhile.
    Through the trees I saw a 4 wheeler pull up along side my parked car and slow down really slow right beside it.

I nocked an arrow and waited, sure enough the vehicle drove ahead of my car, oh about 50 feet and stopped.
    The passenger got out, and was walking quickly back towards my car. That's when I walked out of the trees and began to walk towards my car, through the fresh fallen snow and soft ground. I couldn't walk very fast, but I hurried.

I was holding my bow, with a field point on this arrow, and anyway at this 'point' it would have been a single warning shot.
    I never had to draw the bow back, the fellow got the message, and hurriedly hiked back. Haha yeah those losers sped off, empty handed. Thwarted by the Bowhunter!! Let that be a lesson to you a-hole thieves and other dispicable people, you will get caught, and it could be much worse than a criminal record, for either of us.
    & Criminals of any color , guess what I'm not pregodis.

Please respect hunters, photographers and anyone who works hard to play hard, with our expensive toys and gear.
    Thank you, but we don't need our big boys toys stolen by you!!

I'm sure glad I didn't fire that arrow... Or any dangerous weapon at any one.

Say cheese!!
    Post edited by ChasCS on
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    "PARIS — French police are hunting for a gunman suspected in a shooting Monday at a Paris newspaper office that gravely wounded a photographer, as well as three other attacks around the nation’s capital.
    Paris Prosecutor Francois Molins said authorities believe a lone gunman was involved in the shooting at the prominent daily newspaper Liberation, a similar incident at news network BFM-TV, a shooting outside French bank Societe Generale, and a brief hostage-taking."

via The Washington Post
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    I don't know what the big deal is about walking up on a Grizzly Bear.....

If I was startled by a Grizzly Bear, I would simply hide behind that large pile of crap that suddenly appeared behind me. :)
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    One solution for photographing bears in the wild is to go with another person and to make sure you only go with someone who cannot run as fast as you can.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I used to go with a 12 gauge pump action shotgun with a pistol grip / folding stock and double odd buck in 3" shells. That was seven chances to turn its brain to mush.
    Hmm yeah, mount a Nikon D4 on top of a Benelli M4… all set.

@donaldejose You should patent a CO-cartridge inflatable "decoy buddy"
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Well I was watching Truth in 24 II and I remember this scene and saw the photographer with the monopod scuttling away.

Definitely scary stuff.

Glad he got out ok.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Wow that's really scary.

In other news, Vincent Laforet broke his arm in 5 places last week while shooting in Dubai.

• michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    edited January 2014
    One solution for photographing bears in the wild is to go with another person and to make sure you only go with someone who cannot run as fast as you can.
    That is also a well promoted Zombie defense. :D
    Post edited by michael66 on
    That Le Mans accident will keep happening as long as they have cars with such massively different speed capabilities in the same race which is just bonkers IMHO. Back in the day, the top cars were much faster than they are today too...
    Always learning.
    edited January 2014
    That Le Mans accident will keep happening as long as they have cars with such massively different speed capabilities in the same race which is just bonkers IMHO. Back in the day, the top cars were much faster than they are today too...
    That's true, but that's also the draw of Le Mans too. Motorsports will always be dangerous, but it's vastly more safe than during the era when Sir Stirling Moss was racing. He still has the steering wheel that he dented when his head went straight into it when he crashed.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    On a lighter note... I completely forgot about this one. The second most dangerous thing that ever happened to me as a result of my photographic endeavors was being kissed by a cheerleader of my High School. She was dating the captain of the football team. Of course... :D
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    An oldie.

D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

@Rx4Photo

This is funny….but can happen to anyone.
    Msmoto, mod
    On a lighter note... I completely forgot about this one. The second most dangerous thing that ever happened to me as a result of my photographic endeavors was being kissed by a cheerleader of my High School. She was dating the captain of the football team. Of course... :D
    Haha, that's a great story!
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    At least she kissed you and you did not initiate the kiss. Now that would have been dangerous. =))

One of my most dangerous thing was having an old girlfriend who I had not seen in years kiss me in front of my soon to be wife. I survived and that soon to be wife and I have now been married 42 years and 10 months.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    About the dumbest thing I've done to endanger myself was to wade out into a FL lake to get the angle and background I wanted for a convoy of drag boats heading out into the big lake to race. I was over waist deep in gator grass while taking the shots. While doing the edits back at the gallery one of my colleagues said "You Dummy, don't you know it is gator mating season now and it's at fever pitch?" Where I was there was no self defense with a gun. A shark cage would have been more appropriate. Tomorrow I'll post a drag boat photo from the shoot in PAD.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    edited January 2014
    Be careful when taking photographs/video of ships being launched

Post edited by ThomasHorton on
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
    via fstoppers:

heavy stuff.
    @Ade

Not only is the content of the video so moving, but the technical presentation is as good as I have seen. Mr. McCullin says it so well. Reminds me of my favorite photography book, "Family of man." Thanks for posting.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @Ade: Yes very heavy indeed. Nice find and thanks for sharing.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |